SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

JGSDF Tanks Almost Done.

13 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
JGSDF Tanks Almost Done.
Posted by Duke Maddog on Friday, July 8, 2005 1:27 PM
These are my two JGSDF Tanks I've been building. They are the Trumpeter 1/72 scale offerings. So far, the best of the three kits (out of Type 61, Type 74, and Type 90) is the Type 90. It is the only one not molded too thinly or supplied with tracks that don't fit. It was the smoothest build out of the three.

Here is the Type 74:

Followed by the Type 90 waiting for a basecoat:

Now all there is to do is finish the camo pattern, (and in the case of the Type 74: fix the tracks!) clearcoat, decal, wash, dullcoat and drybrush, and they'll finally be done!
Posted by matthew9 on Friday, July 8, 2005 4:14 PM
Looking good. How does the Trumpeter 1/72 armor compare to other 1/72 armor? I've been wanting to try a 1/72 modern armor kit. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.
Matt
Posted by Duke Maddog on Sunday, July 10, 2005 2:49 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by matthew9

Looking good. How does the Trumpeter 1/72 armor compare to other 1/72 armor? I've been wanting to try a 1/72 modern armor kit. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Compared to Revell and Dragon, these kits are very close in detail and crispness of molding. the instruction sheets are very nice. My only gripe with the instruction sheet is that they don't show how to decal alternate versions, nor are they clear on what versions use the alternative parts.

Fit for the most part is excellent, although out of the four Trumpeter 1/72 scale Armor kits I've built, two practically fell together, while the other two had issues I didn't expect in a Trumpeter kit. Therefore,Trumpeter seems to be hit and miss in quality of assembly. For instance, the Type 61 turret was molded so thin it was almost vacuform. This made for some difficulty with the main gun mount, as well as with the assembly of the top and bottom turret halves. The tracks fit perfect on the Type 61 and the Type 90, but were far too large on the Type 74. I had to cut 3 links out to get the tracks to fit on the Type 74. Otherwise, these are good kits that build into excellent models, and are of great subjects that you don't see every day.

My recommendation if you are just starting out on 1/72 scale Armor is to start with Revell/Germany kits, and eventually move into Dragon. After that Trumpeter will be easy. If you want to try Trumpeter as one of your first, do the Type 90 tank or the Fuel Truck. Both of them just fell together without hassle.

Good luck and here's to seeing your latest work!
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, July 10, 2005 11:58 AM
duke, great builds! do you have a division of the keebler elves working for you because you never stop! awesome work, my friend.!!
Posted by Duke Maddog on Sunday, July 10, 2005 12:23 PM
Thanks Tankergeoff! No, they are all baking cookies too much to help build; although they do help with snacks when they over bake. My Elves are the relatives from the old 'Elves and the Shoemaker' story. Since shoes are all made in Factories these days, I put them to work for me and they love it!

Yeah, I don't really stop. I have alot to do, but I always seem to find some time to sit in my room and enjoy my Hobby.

Thanks again for the compliments!
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, July 10, 2005 12:28 PM
no problem duke..... always great seeing what you have cooking... send some of those elves over if you can. I'll sub-lease them as I have some growing piles of work over here.....
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, July 10, 2005 12:32 PM
looks great
Posted by matthew9 on Sunday, July 10, 2005 1:34 PM
Duke, thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the Revell /Germany 1st.
Matt
Posted by Duke Maddog on Monday, July 11, 2005 12:26 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by matthew9

Duke, thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the Revell /Germany 1st.

No problem my friend. Always glad to help.
Posted by djmodels1999 on Monday, July 11, 2005 1:30 PM
Good stuff, Duke. I like the look of the '74.
And I'll second what you said about the Trumpeter vs Revell kits. Personally, I'm not that keen on Dragon 1/72 armor, but it must just be me..!
Posted by Rob Gronovius on Monday, July 11, 2005 2:54 PM
Aren't these actually Japanese Pit Road kits reboxed for distribution overseas by Trumpeter? Much like the Pegasus Maus will be reboxed by Trumpeter as well. I think the only original (made by) Trumpeter 1/72 scale armor kits are the ZIL-157/CA-30 cargo and fuel trucks, the Elefant and Ferdinand tank destroyers and the S-tank. Also the LCM 3 landing craft if you want to count it as armor related.

Regardless, good info on the JGSDF tanks. I picked up the Type 61 and Type 74 but have not opened them. It's always good to have a heads up on any problems before beginning a build.
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, July 11, 2005 4:11 PM
Looking good!
Posted by mark956 on Monday, July 11, 2005 10:54 PM
Looking very nice Duke. Thanks for sharing.
mark956
Posted by Duke Maddog on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your great comments.

Mark, good to see you again. Thanks for the compliment.

Rob, yes, these two kits are the Pit Road kits that are packaged by Trumpeter. I had heard that the two companies had actually collaborated on these kits and designed them jointly. I don't know if that is true or not. But yes, these are Pit Road kits. I plan on getting the S-tank, and have already built the fuel truck some time back. Glad I could help with the additional info on these two kits!

Thanks Domi. I actually enjoy the Dragon kits for the most part. What I get frustrated with is the overly long tracks that are near impossible to fix right and still look good. My Ferdie looks like crap because I gummed up the tracks so bad. I have some replacements from bill, but I haven't brought myself to take that kit down and fix it yet.

Now, I've already posted finished pics of both of these kits, along with my finished 1/72 scale Humvee by Revell/Germany. check them out and I welcome all comments.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.