SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Iwata external MAC valve

11 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Iwata external MAC valve
Posted by morto on Monday, October 20, 2008 10:50 PM

Just returned from the Hobby Expo in Chicago and saw the Iwata external MAC valve demonstrated.  It looks very interesting because one can control the psi of your AB much better.  Anyone out there familiar with this product?  Would be interested in any feedback and comments. Thanks

Morto

Posted by hkshooter on Monday, October 20, 2008 10:56 PM

I'm wondering too. I've always wondered what the MAC valve does that my regulator won't do.

Mike, you out there?

Posted by RichardI on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:54 AM

I have 2 Iwata brushes and I have no idea, other than giving you another place to control the pressure, what this valve would do for me. I guess, if in your setup, your regulator is out of reach, it would be great. But for me, it seems overkill.

Rich Cool [8D]

On the bench: 1/48 Revell PBY Catalina 0A-10A. Next up: Moebius 1/24 Chariot from Lost in Space.

Posted by MikeV on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:48 PM
 hkshooter wrote:

I'm wondering too. I've always wondered what the MAC valve does that my regulator won't do.

Mike, you out there?

Moi? I have never used one and it seems to me like a gimmick although I have heard some people say it works great. My point is, and always is, why do we need this type of airbrush for modeling? These kind of things of airbrushes that are designed to push the envelope so to speak on getting the finest lines possible are geared to automotive and fine art airbrushing with very thin paints and very small pigments. Most model paints just don't fit that criteria and even if they do what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to build a 1/32 scale P-38J and freehand Richard Bong's wife "Marge" on the nose? Tongue [:P]Laugh [(-D]

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
Posted by hkshooter on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:39 PM

Laugh [(-D]

My regulator is right next to me, no need for another one. Good point you made about the brush capabilities too, Mike. I just can't see my needs or abilities needing any more air brush than those which I have.

Posted by morto on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:25 PM

Many thanks for the comments. I guess the jury is still out regarding the MAC valve.  It appears that it is really not necessary.

Morto

Posted by F105-Thud on Sunday, October 26, 2008 6:58 AM
With the MAC valve fully in, no air comes out of the airbrush. Open it up gradually, and it`s just like using a regulator, you can adjust the amount of air to your hearts content, depending on how much your compressor is pumping out of course.
Posted by keilau on Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:48 AM
 morto wrote:

Many thanks for the comments. I guess the jury is still out regarding the MAC valve.  It appears that it is really not necessary.

Morto

The Iwata web site provide a very good guide on usage of airbrushes:

http://www.iwatamedea.com/uses/guide.jsp

The MAC valve is aimed at the illustration artist. Mike is right that modeler seldomly need that kind of a MAC control. And the value of an external MAC device is not established.

Posted by squeakie on Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:11 AM

F105-Thud wrote:
With the MAC valve fully in, no air comes out of the airbrush. Open it up gradually, and it`s just like using a regulator, you can adjust the amount of air to your hearts content, depending on how much your compressor is pumping out of course.

This valve does not regulate air pressure, but regulates the amount of (CFM) of air supply. In otherwords it's what's known as a needle valve. The air pressure will build up ahead of the valve, but not downstream from the valve. A regulator works the opposite way, and does not control the amount of air volume going thru it.

gary

Posted by scrambler8 on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:29 PM
I have the Harder & Steenbeck equal that is a part of my airbrush set-up. However, in my case, the "MAC" is attached to my airbrush manifold that can hold and provide air to two brushes. I do find that I use the valve frequently, particularly when I need low CFM applications. The device certainly isn't necessary, but I find it to be a nice extra to have.
Posted by morto on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:02 PM

Thanks again for all of the comments.  I'm still considering the external MAC valve as I think it will help with low CFM needs.

Morto

Posted by MikeV on Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:30 PM
 squeakie wrote:

F105-Thud wrote:

This valve does not regulate air pressure, but regulates the amount of (CFM) of air supply. In otherwords it's what's known as a needle valve. The air pressure will build up ahead of the valve, but not downstream from the valve. A regulator works the opposite way, and does not control the amount of air volume going thru it.

gary

For all practical purposes they are the same thing. 

The CFM of an airbrush is so low it's almost not even worth considering. 

Here is an excerpt from airbrushtalk.com: 

11. How much air is necessary to operate an airbrush?

As a rule of thumb, you need « cubic foot of air (cfm) at 30 pounds per square inch (psi) to propel an airbrush. You can work at lower or higher pressures, depending on the materials sprayed and the effects desired, but the cfm requirement remains the same.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.