SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

A beginner's photoetch question

18 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
A beginner's photoetch question
Posted by gs650 on Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:48 PM

Hey everyone,

First off, I want to apologise for asking this question as I'm sure its been answered before however the search function doesnt seem to be operational. Anytime I try to search for something it brings me back to page one of whatever forum I'm on. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Anyway, on to my question--I'm a newish modeler with a few OOB builds under my belt and Id like to add some PE and resin details to my next build. I've had a Tamiya 1/72 P47 Razorback on my shelf for awhile and I finally feel like starting it.

I wanted to install these (http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=AHM7089) gunbays because I love the idea of the open bays and it seems like relatively minor surgery for an awesome effect. I've found quite a bit about working with the resin and I think i'll be able to handle all that--it's the photoetch I have questions about.

Do I need any special tools to work with the PE? I know they make the etchmate that everyone seems to love, but I'd rather not plunk down 40 dollars if I don't have to. Are these relatively easy shapes to bend? Should I anticipate screwing up my first few attempts? 

I'd appreciate any wisdom or links that could be sent my way. Thanks guys

Tyler

Posted by firesmacker on Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:05 PM

Tyler,

I use the Bug and a Hold and Fold myself. These are not neccesary, just a convenience. A nice flat surface and a square piece of whatever to hold the part down plus a razor blade to bend it will work fine for right-angle bends. For curved/rounded pieces, try a piece of sprue or maybe a pen and bend it around that. Anything round will work, just find the right size for what you need.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jeff

Posted by Matthew Usher on Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:44 PM

Tyler,

We have an issue with two photoetch stories on the way. Both Aaron Skinner and I wrote stories on how to work with PE, what tools to use, etc.

I'll be on its way shortly!

Matt Usher @ FSM

Posted by jtrace214 on Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:51 PM

Mr Usher thank you for answering one of my Questions. I was gonna ask if any back issues had that info as I have never messed with photo-etch either but really want to try it. Thank you for the heads up, and hope you have a wonderful holiday and New Years,and please keep up the great work here and in the magazine..

John

the pic to the left is my weekend condo lol

Posted by gs650 on Sunday, December 21, 2008 6:46 PM

Jeff--

Thanks for the response. So I wouldnt necessarily need to clamp down the "square piece"? I could get away with weighting it with something? I guess I'm imagining the bend taking some omph.

Matt--

Cool! Thanks much for the heads up, I'm looking forward to the new issue then :)

Tyler

Posted by firesmacker on Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:00 PM

Tyler,

Just the weight of your finger should be plenty. Remember, you are talking about a piece of metal that is like a couple of hairs in thickness. You really need something with a squared off end for those 90 degree bends to turn out right though.

Regards,

Jeff

Posted by gs650 on Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:26 PM

Great, thanks for all the help jeff-- I'll go ahead and order that kit then. Hopefully Santa will bring me a camera for christmas and I"ll be able to take pics of the building process. Happy holidays to ya.

Tyler

Posted by cardshark_14 on Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:39 PM

Tyler, 

First off, Sign - Welcome [#welcome] to the forums!  

As for the search function on the forum...Like most forum software, there is an annoying bug in the search. If you type your search in the box, and hit enter, rather than submitting your search, it refreshes your page.  If you want to search, you have to actually click the search button.  

HTH!

Cheers,
Alex

Never trust anyone who refuses to drink domestic beer, laugh at the Three Stooges, or crank Back In Black.
Posted by jtrace214 on Monday, December 22, 2008 6:59 AM

These question may sound simple to most but..... What do you use to glue the p-e to the plastic model and what kinda solder do I need to solder pieces together?

thanks again,

John

Posted by Boba Fett on Monday, December 22, 2008 11:34 AM

ALWAYS use super glue aka cynocrylite (excuse the spelling). Anything else won't hold. For solder, I have no clue. I would guess getr some high-quality stuff and use plenty of heat-sinks.

Posted by jtrace214 on Monday, December 22, 2008 5:50 PM

Thanks Boba I figured super glue. But wanted to double check before I messed up lol on the solder I was wondering if rosen core or solid core solder...

John

Posted by Boba Fett on Monday, December 22, 2008 6:13 PM
Whatever's mor expensive. I believe solid core. If I rember straight, the rosen spits and sputters stuff somethimes. I don't solder much.

Posted by cardshark_14 on Monday, December 22, 2008 6:18 PM

Should answer all your questions...

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3789

Cheers,
Alex

Never trust anyone who refuses to drink domestic beer, laugh at the Three Stooges, or crank Back In Black.
Posted by jtrace214 on Monday, December 22, 2008 9:24 PM

Thanks Cardshark that was very imformative for a newbee on p-e, I want to try them soon. Been modeling since I was like 12 or something but mostly outta the bax or mild scratchbuild in plastic, hopefully this will work for me..

John

Posted by gs650 on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 1:59 AM

Thanks for the welcome cardshark! I appreciate the tip, my dense head wouldn't consider actually clicking on the search button lol. Much appreciated.

I dig your handle, are you a poker player? or do you do any card manipulation? I'm a huge fan of both!

Posted by Gigatron on Friday, December 26, 2008 6:58 PM

Hey GS,

Welcome to the wonderful world of PE.  I use PE on most of my builds and there are only 3 tools you really need - CA (thin and medium), very fine tweezers and The Bug.  Yeah you can fold PE with a straight edge and a razor blade (and you probably should for your first time), but there are some complex pieces out there that can only be done with the propper tool.  You don't need any sort of solder, thin CA will be more than useful for holding PE together.  And use the medium stuff for when you're attaching it to the kit so you have some time to work it into position before it dries.

-Fred

Posted by MikeV on Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:28 PM
 Gigatron wrote:

I use PE on most of my builds and there are only 3 tools you really need - CA (thin and medium), very fine tweezers and The Bug. 

OK, how is the "Bug"  different from my Etch Mate 3C besides being more compact?

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
Posted by firesmacker on Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:49 PM

Mike,

I have The Bug. Can't say it's really all that different. It holds a piece while you bend it. I think the differences are mostly cosmetic in addition to size. The Etch Mate looks like it's plastic whereas The Bug is metal. Other than that, I dunno. Hell, as long as it bends the PE like you need it to, I would say get whatever one is the least expensive. I don't bend any long pieces of PE so The Bug is perfect for my needs.

Regards,

Jeff

Posted by AmateurModeler on Monday, March 2, 2009 8:46 AM
For something like a gun barrel I use needles... sewing needles (I mostly do 1/48 scale). Everything else I use a flat chisel like X-acto blade on a flat surface.
On the bench... -Eduard F6F-5 (1/48) -AM's TBF Avenger (1/48) they haven't sent me the parts I ruined yet...still waiting.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.