SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Tamiya 1/48 F4U-2N Corsair finished- LOTS of pics!

29 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Tamiya 1/48 F4U-2N Corsair finished- LOTS of pics!
Posted by Daywalker on Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:45 AM

This is my recently completed Tamiya Corsair for the Corsair and FAW Group Build.  Mostly OOB, with a few home-made additions added. 

In some of the following photos, there are two of each item pictured as this model was being built alongside another one to come! Wink [;)]  I used Tamiya tape for the seatbelts, otherwise the office is kit-supplied. 

The engine was wired with fine fuse wire, and the crankcase was detailed with some extras from styrene strip, wire, and tamiya tape.

Landing gear got some extra detailing too.

Cowl flaps were detailed with styrene  brackets and wire cable.

Thanks for looking!  And as always, comments and constructive criticism welcome. Big Smile [:D]

Frank 

Posted by soulcrusher on Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:05 PM

Totally awesome Frank. I love the exhaust staining and the engine came out great. How many Corsairs does that make now?

SoulcrusherPirate [oX)]

Posted by jeaton01 on Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:13 PM
Super job, Frank.  You are the master of the Corsair.  Now go find a contest and win it!

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by Spike190 on Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:15 PM

Lovely detailing Frank, I really like how the engine turned out. What do you use for the seat buckles?

Cheers...

Mike  Toast

Posted by Voidses on Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:36 PM

Thumbs Up [tup]

Don't know what more needs saying

I attack sharks when I smell them bleed

Posted by smokinguns3 on Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:56 PM
holy crap your a model factory, outstanding build, and thats alot detail for 48 scale.
Rob I think i can I think i can
Posted by Aggieman on Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:04 PM
Nice job, especially the weathering and all that extra detail.
Posted by KJ200 on Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:54 PM

Frank, that is truly stunning! Bow [bow]

The cowl flap detail is totally awesome.

Karl

Currently on the bench: AZ Models 1/72 Mig 17PF

Posted by model geek on Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:30 PM

Frank,

What can I say that hasn't already been said. A very impressive build. I love the cockpit and wheel well detail. What is your method for making tape seat belts?

Thank for sharing.

Tom  

Posted by B-17 Guy on Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:14 PM

Wow, those are beautiful! I love the detailing on the engines and gear, simply great work!

I like th epaint scheme too, I've never seen that before, I thought it dark blue, medium blue and white. Paint and weathering are perfect.

Posted by Bossman on Sunday, June 7, 2009 7:38 PM

Frank,

That is some very impressive detail work.   And a very nice finished product.

2 questions:

What's an FAW ?

and

Was this a WWII bird ?  I've never seen a reverse tri-color scheme like that either.

Chris

Posted by DrewH on Sunday, June 7, 2009 7:44 PM
Beautiful Frank! Marvelous! Another great Corsair on the shelf! Well done buddy.
Take this plastic and model it!
Posted by bigfoot01 on Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:09 PM
Very nicely done Frank Bow [bow]

John 

Posted by Daywalker on Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:26 PM

Thanks guys, glad you like this one too! Big Smile [:D]

SC- Only four so far, with #5 ready and waiting for paint. Wink [;)]

Mike- For the buckles, I use squares of Tamiya tape slightly wider than the belts, with another square on top to represent the belt as it goes through a buckle.  With some creative painting, they look pretty convincing. Thumbs Up [tup]

Tom- I will put together a little toot on how I do seatbelts this weekend if you're interested.  Smile [:)]

B-17 Guy- The night fighters of VF(N)-101 used Corsairs with the intermediate blue on the fuselage painted over in black.  Here's a black-and-white photo:

Chris- FAW = Fleet Air Wing and these were WWII aircraft, sorry I do not know the exact time they were on the carriers.

Again, thanks all for stopping in for a look! Approve [^]

Frank 

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Monday, June 8, 2009 7:55 AM

Excellent Build Frank.  Very well done Thumbs Up [tup].

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by dragonfly on Monday, June 8, 2009 8:24 AM

Whoah!!   Frank!   that's a beauty! It just doesn't get any better than that. Nicely done Sir!

Jerry

Posted by chukw on Monday, June 8, 2009 9:43 AM

Ya done goo, Frank!  You've really brought these to life- the engines, gear, cowl flaps- all just superb.  The posing of the seat belts really blows the prepainted ones outta the water-

cheers!

chuk

Posted by Gigatron on Monday, June 8, 2009 10:53 AM

Great job, Frank - truly inspirational Make a Toast [#toast]

-Fred

Posted by RadMax8 on Monday, June 8, 2009 12:19 PM
Wow this makes my Corsair look like crap! Great work! I like what you did with the landing gear and the cowl flaps. Quick question on the cockpit: Where did you find that they used dark dull green on Corsairs? I know that was the main interior color for P-47's but hadn't heard too much about Corsairs using this paint. Thanks Frank!
Posted by Dubau on Monday, June 8, 2009 3:04 PM
WOW ! Sweet looking Corsair
" You've experienced a set back, and without set backs and learning how to fix them you'll never make the leap from kit builder to modeler "
Posted by Daywalker on Monday, June 8, 2009 10:03 PM

Chuk- Thanks my friend, glad you approve!  I agree on the seatbelts, sure do wish someone would come out with PE buckles so that we could feed an appropriate belt material through and make some really nice looking seatbelts! Big Smile [:D]

Max- I got the info here at IPMS Stockholm's website.  So far, their info seems to be quite accurate so I went with the Dull Dark Green cockpit color they called out for early Corsairs. Thumbs Up [tup]

Frank 

Posted by vetteman42 on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:35 AM
 Daywalker wrote:

Tom- I will put together a little toot on how I do seatbelts this weekend if you're interested.  Smile [:)]

Daywalker What can I say a very nice build I would say a contest winner too. I bookmarked this page for referance for my F4U-1D Tamiya build one day. I would also be interested in a Daywalker toot about the seatbelts also.

Randy So many to build.......So little time

Posted by mkhoot on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:15 AM

Excellent work I really like all the added details and the night scheme.

When in doubt just build it. Mark http://www.ipmslivonia.org/ipms/
Posted by bsyamato on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:30 AM
overall great work! I love the corsair
Posted by wing_nut on Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:11 AM
WOWSER  Frank.  Kickin' butt and takin' names with this one.  Sweet build.  Love that cowl detail.

Marc  

Posted by MaxPower on Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:26 PM
daywalker I love your model. All your extra efforts payed off big time. Plus you pulled a fantastic paint job that really pulls it all together. A paint job can make or break a model, and you my friend made it! Big Smile [:D]
Posted by simpilot34 on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:48 AM
Frank I just had to have ANOTHER look at this stunning build!!!!! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL build mate!!!!!!!!
Cheers, Lt. Cmdr. Richie "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving the peace."-George Washington
Posted by lexesbenz on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:25 AM
I had one of these once, all detailed out too. I took it to an IPMS meeting one day, a friend asked if he could look at it, sure. I turn my back to talk to Gary and I hear this plastic crashing sound...I knew what it was. Needless to say it was in a million pieces. I wasn't mad. Yours looks excellent!!!!
The flying hamster of doom rains coconuts on your pitiful city!!!!
Posted by Daywalker on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:34 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for stopping by!  Glad that you enjoyed this one, really gets me excited to start painting the other one. Smile,Wink, & Grin [swg]

Sorry I didn't get any toots on the seatbelts done, will be sure to get one put together soon.  Work has me busy busy and it's cutting into the bench time! Shock [:O]

Thanks again. Approve [^]

Frank 

Posted by sfcmac on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:39 PM

Looks like POODUE! Yuck [yuck]Whistling [:-^]

Pretty optomistically outstanding doggone unique excellence! Thumbs Up [tup]Thumbs Up [tup]Thumbs Up [tup]

Sorry that was the best I could come up with on short notice. Confused [%-)]Laugh [(-D]Make a Toast [#toast]

Frank as always your painting skills and choice of subject matter reign supreme! Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.