SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/6th Scale Scratch Built Tiger I WIP

23 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
1/6th Scale Scratch Built Tiger I WIP
Posted by armourguy on Monday, January 12, 2009 8:13 PM

Hello, I recently dug out this old unfinished scratch built Tiger and have started work on it again. This tank hull and turret was started back in early 2001, and has been in storage ever since. I have been working on the model since early October and it is almost ready for painting. Most of the model's details and components are either made out of Metal or Resin.  

When I first dug the model out of storage
*note the spray paint tops used for the final drives, these were installed when the model was first built. These were replaced by better detailed Resin ones    

Model with Reworked final drives and lower hull detials

I also gave the model a removable Snorkel.

Posted by treadwell on Monday, January 12, 2009 8:22 PM

Very nice dude!

Looks like you got some of your parts from www.eastcoastarmory.com ---they have some really great stuff for 1/6 scale---keep the updates comming----treadCool [8D]

Posted by modelmaniac1967 on Monday, January 12, 2009 9:34 PM
WOW!!! This baby looks like you will be able to jump in the thing and drive it around your block, just has to  be one of the most amazing scratch builds I have seen in some time, or ever. Your work really blows me away. I can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the awesome work.

Life is an illusion, if you can master the art of illusion you have it made.[View:http://sdfusioninc.blogspot.com/]

Posted by Byrne0ut on Monday, January 12, 2009 10:12 PM
something that big should have a functioning turret, you can make those out of resin right?
ON The Bench: Tristar 1/35 Panzer 38(t) Ausf. B Glencoe 1/400 SS United States Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf. A Early On The Shelf Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D Corsair
Posted by wing_nut on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:03 AM
WOW now that's what I call a project.  Looks good so far.  Stay with it and git 'er dun.

Marc  

Posted by smeagol the vile on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:45 AM

I'm starting to thing this forum spreads insanity... The stuff people around here come up with as good ideas... holy crap

Man, thats amazing, I cant wait to see it finished.

Posted by armourguy on Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:25 PM
 treadwell wrote:

Very nice dude!

Looks like you got some of your parts from http://www.eastcoastarmory.com/ ---they have some really great stuff for 1/6 scale---keep the updates comming----treadCool [8D]

Funny you say that,  Eastcoastarmory.com is my website,

WOW!!! This baby looks like you will be able to jump in the thing and drive it around your block, just has to  be one of the most amazing scratch builds I have seen in some time, or ever. Your work really blows me away. I can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the awesome work. 

This is not my first 1/6th scale model, By far the most difficult and time consuming project that I have made was my 1/6th scale T28 Super heavy tank.  

WOW now that's what I call a project.  Looks good so far.  Stay with it and git 'er dun.

Thanks Marc I should have it ready for this year's Mosquitocon Smile,Wink, & Grin [swg]

I have been working on the turret hatches, I have completed the turret Escape hatch.

I have made some progress on the model.  

Posted by the doog on Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:18 PM

WOW, man!!! This is pure modeling ART!

OUTSTANDING!!! Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow]

That T28 is just mind-blowing as well!

Gotta ask you though--where the heck do you keep something that big? How do you "display" something like that? You're single, right?! LOL! Laugh [(-D]

IS there an intention to make these working models as well? RC? Or are they just labours-of-love to display and sleep next to at night?! Wink [;)] Just wondering what motivates you to go to this admirable, and outstanding extreme?

Posted by tigerman on Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:24 PM
That's some crazy insane work there bro. I have a tough enough time just finishing 1/35. Sheesh.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/wing_nut_5o/PANZERJAGERGB.jpg

Eric 

Posted by wbill76 on Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:02 PM
Nice to see you back working on the monsters! I remember when you posted the T-28 a while back...the Tiger is very impressive (not just the size) in terms of the detail fidelity you've got so far. How much is it going to weigh when all said and done?
Posted by jadgpanther302 on Friday, January 23, 2009 2:45 PM
thats looks so cool, i think i've seen that T-28 online somewhereThumbs Up [tup]
Posted by Gun Tech on Friday, January 23, 2009 10:59 PM

Now that is something!!!!!!!!!

What's the price tag for those 1/6 resin parts???????? Shock [:O]

Man, keep up the good work and keep us updated!!!!!

Jean-Michel    "Arte et Marte"

Posted by armourguy on Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:34 PM

wbill76 wrote:
Nice to see you back working on the monsters! I remember when you posted the T-28 a while back...the Tiger is very impressive (not just the size) in terms of the detail fidelity you've got so far. How much is it going to weigh when all said and done?

Thanks, I have posted a few other of my 1/6 models on this forum since the t28,

Two M10 TD's,  

and a SDKFZ 234 Puma

jadgpanther302 wrote:
thats looks so cool, i think i've seen that T-28 online somewhereThumbs Up [tup]

My model has been posted on a number of forums since I completed it, a lot of people find my model on a google search and then they post it on forums.

Gun Tech wrote:

Now that is something!!!!!!!!!

What's the price tag for those 1/6 resin parts???????? Shock [:O]

Man, keep up the good work and keep us updated!!!!!

That depends on the size or complexity of the parts. You can see all of my catalog at the folowing links

German Tank Parts
http://www.eastcoastarmory.com/germanparts.htm

US tank Parts
http://eastcoastarmory.com/ustankparts.htm

I have just completed the masters and castings for the turret Loaders hatch. I will now be starting on the tank's early drum Copula.

Posted by Huxy on Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:58 PM
Mindblowing, great.. all that...  My only question, what do you use for tracks? Big Smile [:D]   And what's the size of that T28??

"Every War Starts And Ends With An Invasion".

Posted by PanzerRich on Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:57 PM
Good God that's amazing!  A working RC system would be the icing on the cake.
I never met a tank I didn't like.
Posted by armourguy on Monday, February 2, 2009 1:32 PM
 Huxy wrote:
Mindblowing, great.. all that...  My only question, what do you use for tracks? Big Smile [:D]   And what's the size of that T28??

For the Tiger I will be using a set of ABS plastic tracks from http://www.panzerwerk.com/. The tracks are the Late versions with the ice cleats. for my model I will be removing the ice cleats so the track would be a better match for the early tank.   

The tracks and suspension are the hardest part about working in this scale. Fortunately there are a few other 1/6th scale part suppliers (myself Included) that offer both the suspension and the track. For my T28 I used the panzerwerk M4 HVSS suspension, but had to modify the boggies to turn them into the T28 HVSS. For the T28 Track I had about 400 metal T66 track links casted that were patterned off of one of my Resin T66 track. 

the doog wrote:

Gotta ask you though--where the heck do you keep something that big? How do you "display" something like that? You're single, right?! LOL! Laugh [(-D]

IS there an intention to make these working models as well? RC? Or are they just labours-of-love to display and sleep next to at night?! Wink [;)]?

I usually display the finished models in my studio / workshop. They do eat up plenty of free space. As for making these models work, I typically make my 1/6th scale models static due to time, and budget. However I do have several RC 1/6th scale models. Once the Tiger is completed I will be working on a 1/6th scale RC jagdpanther.

PanzerRich wrote:
Good God that's amazing!  A working RC system would be the icing on the cake.

I have another 1/6th scale Tiger I that is fully RC, and have posted a video of the model on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4L37ewZT40

Posted by psstoff995 on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:28 AM

No...

No way...

That's insane! Mini-me's own personal armored unit, no wait- they're too big, he was 1/8th scale...

Now you just need a 1:1 bullet in 14.6mm and you're good to go.

Seriously though, this is mind boggling- any chance you could snap some pictures up against a scale object?? I haven't even seen a bust done up this big- where do you find figures?

Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow] 

-Chris

US Army Infantryman

Posted by Carves on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:15 AM

Isn't it against the law to have a mini tank in your garage ?

Also, does this 1/6 tank remote control ready ?

Posted by Bodge on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:56 PM

Thats one awsome build youve got going on there, very talented.

Here,s my 1/6 tiger which is radio controlled and has turn turret,gun elevation, recoil and gun fire , engine and gun sounds machinegun, smokeing exhausts etc  etc.

Posted by psstoff995 on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:31 PM

WOAH! That's impressive too Bodge- what are those scalls in the last pick?

1/6

1/16

?

1/35

1/48

Close? Anyway, very well done, the both of you- Bow [bow]

-Chris

US Army Infantryman

Posted by armourguy on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:32 PM

psstoff995 wrote:

No...

No way...

That's insane! Mini-me's own personal armored unit, no wait- they're too big, he was 1/8th scale...

Now you just need a 1:1 bullet in 14.6mm and you're good to go.

Seriously though, this is mind boggling- any chance you could snap some pictures up against a scale object?? I haven't even seen a bust done up this big- where do you find figures?

Bow [bow]Bow [bow]Bow [bow] 

Here's a picture showing size comparison with an RC Tamiya 1/16 (panzer grey) and a Tamiya 1/35th scale tiger (yellow).These models are designed to work with the 1/6th scale figures from Dragon.

Bodge wrote:

Thats one awsome build youve got going on there, very talented.

Here,s my 1/6 tiger which is radio controlled and has turn turret,gun elevation, recoil and gun fire , engine and gun sounds machinegun, smokeing exhausts etc  etc.

Hi Bodge, That is a nice Tiger. Here are some pictures of my other fully RC All Metal Armortek Tiger that I listed above in the you tube link. It also features Exhaust Smoke, functional Head and Tail lights, Turret rotation gun elevation and a Custom made live fire recoiling main gun.

http://www.eastcoastarmory.com/snow%20tiger/layout/comp.html

Posted by psstoff995 on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:37 PM

Hey- thanks a lot for the scale shots. That's huge... I always forget that Dragon puts out those 1/6 scale figures.

Those are some great shots- I love the one with the Tiger in the snow- full snorkel!

Looks like these big guys can take some real weather. The action shots are awesome, looks like it gets going pretty fast. Now you just need to plant some 1/6 scale shrubbery in your backyard.

-Chris

US Army Infantryman

Posted by Bodge on Wednesday, February 4, 2009 3:53 AM
Wow thats awsomeThumbs Up [tup]
Posted by armourguy on Monday, February 16, 2009 1:22 PM

I have completed and installed the tank's early drum copula. The model will soon be ready for painting.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.