Sand Bags

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Sand Bags
Posted by spacepacker on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:04 AM

I need some sand bags for a Sherman!.

Who makes a good kit of these?  Cheers...Kenny

Posted by wing_nut on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:04 PM

I think you would do better making you own.  If there are pre-made one, and I don't know if they are out there, they maight not drape natually over where oyu wnat to use them.

here is a demop of how to make some although with these, I don't like the way the end of the bag where it's tied looks, too thick,  but it will give you a basic idea that you may be able to improve on.

http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1794

Marc  

Posted by Schnobs on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:45 PM
 wing_nut wrote:

I think you would do better making you own.  If there are pre-made one, and I don't know if they are out there, they maight not drape natually over where oyu wnat to use them.

here is a demop of how to make some although with these, I don't like the way the end of the bag where it's tied looks, too thick,  but it will give you a basic idea that you may be able to improve on.

http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=1794

Thanks for posting this Marc I have been searching for a tutorial on how to make this and the one I had the picture links were dead so awesome!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer
Posted by redleg12 on Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:34 AM

I use a similar method with some different twists.

If you don't want to use Milliputty, you can use air set modeling clay. It is usaully available at stores like Michaels.

For texture, I use a small sheet of fiberglass repair patch. After you have put the bag in place, I cover it with the fiberglass and with a wet finger, gently press the fiberglass all around the bag. When I remover the fiberglass, the bag has a cloth texture.

Hope this helps.

Rounds Complete!!

"The Moral High Ground....A Great Place to Emplace Artillery."

Posted by squeakie on Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:23 AM
 redleg12 wrote:

I use a similar method with some different twists.

If you don't want to use Milliputty, you can use air set modeling clay. It is usaully available at stores like Michaels.

For texture, I use a small sheet of fiberglass repair patch. After you have put the bag in place, I cover it with the fiberglass and with a wet finger, gently press the fiberglass all around the bag. When I remover the fiberglass, the bag has a cloth texture.

Hope this helps.

Rounds Complete!!

You can now buy the air hardening clay from Crayola at Hobby Lobby as well. The easy way to flatten it out is with an old rolling pin (you all know it's that tool your wife chases you around the house with). An easy way to cut it with, is a dry wall knife that they use to apply spackeling (you can get them all the way out to 12" in length). But an even easier way to make a zillion or two sandbags is with one of those little pasta machines they now sell to work with clay. A lady I worked with made me about three hundred bags in about an hour (they come out in long strips that you then cut to length)

gary

Posted by plasticjunkie on Friday, June 5, 2009 9:12 AM
You can use Play Doh or any of the cheapy children clays from Walmart that will harden with exposure to air. It gives you more than enough time to mold your bags, drape them for a natural looking droop and so on. You can also use a piece from an old t-shirt to lightly press the texture on the clay. Walmart has this stuff really cheap, including their own version of Silly Putty that is great for masking irregular patterns for painting. 

GIFMaker.org_jy_Ayj_O

Too many models to build, not enough time in a lifetime!!

Posted by caSSius on Friday, June 5, 2009 10:44 AM

I would not recommend using Play Doh...it is not a clay product, but like the name suggests, is closer to a dough. In my experience it usually cracks and dries with a coarse finish that does not take a pressed-on texture very well, like the clay products will.

IMHO putty or an earthen clay is much better suited to this application.

Cheers

Brad

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T.S. Eliot

Posted by spacepacker on Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input, all very helpfull!...Kenny
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.