SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Next build F4U- Corsair

15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Next build F4U- Corsair
Posted by Ripcord on Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:49 PM

Hey all,  we've all seen the SBD Dauntless I posted....Im still not proud of the canopy.  Anyhow its work when waiting for paint to dry.  Im also thinking attempting stretch sprue for an antenna line even though the kit says nothing of it.  I will admit, Im a newb again so these pics are gonna be for those who are starting new or again as myself.  For everyone else Im expecting criticism....so that I can increase my skills.  My next buiild I have decided to build is the F4U Corsair 1/72 scale from testors.  Im holding off on 1/48 until I get more comfortable with airbrushing and procedures all together. 

This fuselage was no fun.  As you can tell by the giant gaps in front and behind the cockpit.  There were no alignment pins but rather entire strips that run the length of the body which would not line up at all.  It was terrible.  I cut them off!  Then clamped  and taped, now waiting for the glue to dry,

The wing is a two piece wing.  Glued and tape.  I only glued one side while the other was held in position.  When it dries I will glue the other side.  I started the prop and engine cylinder.  Now Im off to repair the Dauntless!

Mike

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:57 PM

Is that solid peice in photo 2 meant to be the pit? omg i knew testors was bad but i didnt think that bad. good luck man. you seem to be off to a good start considering what youve got to work with.

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar"

Recite the litanies, fire up the Gellar field, a poo storm is coming Hmm 

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Ripcord on Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:05 PM

haha! Yes I got a little dude to glue there.  Hes shoulders up.  I have come to the conclusion that Im gonna build the aircraft perfectly.....yep, right after hes been shot down.....

Mike

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:20 PM

lol nice, it apears to be a 1D so doing it about a story i read once wont work, cos that was a 4. im sure i could scrounge up a story for you to do a dio of if you wanted.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by CallSignOWL on Friday, May 28, 2010 7:17 AM

Do you have a copy of my stash, or what? I also have that kit! The cockpit/pilot bust is bad, So I just planed on painting the canopy silver or something. What are you planning to do?

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by Ripcord on Friday, May 28, 2010 8:23 AM

I have already painted the little dude.  You cant see through the canopy anyway.  Its like looking though glass with water running down one side.  After I apply the final flat coat or future you can tell someones there, just no details.  I was thinking to check eduard's for a better canopy, but thought, not this guy.  Looking at the front of the box, the canopy I got is the same transparency.  Happy building!

Mike

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, May 28, 2010 1:36 PM

Are you clear-coating AFTER you install your canopy?  It looked like that's what happened on your SBD, that you shot it with Dullcoat, hence the frosted look.... In a word or three, don't do that... Don't Glosscoat it either...  If it fits ok, I just hand-paint the frames and attach with white glue after everything's done..  If you have to do a lot of work to blend it in to get it to fit, well... That's another animal..

As for your skills... Well, the only way to develop those is to BUILD, lol.. And using the streched sprue for antenna is probably the easiest bit of scratch-building one can undertake as a beginner... Go for it... Just be sure to get it REALLY thin in that scale... No more than the diameter of a human hair... Also, you don't have to glue it in place as a tight-wire.. A little slack is ok.  Just, once the glue is dry and cured, take a heat-source like a freshly-blown out match, soldering iron, incense stick, etc, and move it close to (BUT DON'T TOUCH) it and when you reach  just the right distance, it will suddenly snap tight...  

The next step would be to try to scratch-build a simple cockpit.. You just cut away the solid area and with a little sheet styrene you can easily build a floor, sides and a panel & seat... Another piece of stretched sprue and you got a joystick.. If you want, you can cut paper patterns from index card for the sides, floor & bulkheads, then transfer that to the sheet.   In that scale however, you can eyeball easily enough, and you don't need a library of refs either.. 

Suggestion, rather than duplication, is the force behind "Creative Gizmology" and simple scratch-building..

Once you start doing it, you'll get hooked, I promise ya..  Yes And this is the best part.. The more you do it, the easier it becomes, the less you'll feel a need to rely on after-market parts to make the old kits look great, and *gasp* won't be spending ridiculous amounts of money on over-priced, over-engineered "New" kits, and then MAYBE some manufacturers will MAYBE get their acts together and get the prices down from "Un-farking-believable" to at least "Tolerable"...

One of 'em might even release a a1/48th scale 25-30.00 PB4Y... 

(Hey, I can dream...)

At any rate, keep Hammering (get it?) away at 'em..  You'll build more than just a model.. You'll build confidence in your skill-sets, and that's something that not everyone does...

Posted by Ripcord on Friday, May 28, 2010 5:14 PM

Yes,....yes I did clear coat the canopy....  But the canopy from the box was not transparent from the begining...thats why I shot it anyway....  Crying  I like your post, I learned alot from it.  Im also learning....                   The Modeler Makes The Model.                The kit is nice, but its just a guide.  Thanks von Hammer!   What did Kramer say? "I'm listening"  lol

Mike

Posted by Ripcord on Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:34 PM

A quick update.

Mike

Posted by CallSignOWL on Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:49 PM

some canopies cant be helped too much, but for some, if you dip it in Future, clarity really improves!

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by Ripcord on Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:54 PM

Sooo...I aquired acrylic blue and plugged the holes...acrylic blue comes in a large amount

While waiting for the filler to dry I sanded the fuselage cause even when I removed the alignment pins it still didnt match up.

I thinned the filler with %90 alcohol till it was pretty much thin milk....my first attempt at using the stuff.  I used a brush to apply it to the aircraft.  To my surprise it still dried and worked.  I filled the stabilzer top and botttom. 

The stabilizer took some work as one side would sit higher than the other.  As I tried to pull up on it to possibly bend the alignment pin to get them to match, the aligment pin broke off.  Which is fine by me cause I kinda like not using them.

So the bottom fuselage/wing gap would not cooperate with me while attempting 3M blue.  I tried something else I read about.  I first filled the gap with talc powder and then placed super glue on top of it.  It was sweet.  The superglue instantly harden.  The down fall is sanding it off.  It wasnt to bad with a needle file to 220 grit followed by super fine.

While waiting for the drying process I attempted to slight weather/ dry brush the engine cylinder to look somewhat shadowed/oily.  I also finished the next step of the prop.

Finally I layed down a primer to see what else needs sanding.

Being hot where I live (Yuma AZ) the primer usually dries before it hits the model.  It can be done right but I dont mind a little sanding cause it gives me a feel of what Im gonna do next.  Thanks for watching!

To be continued...

Mike

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:50 PM

Looking good, your doing well. 

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Ripcord on Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:56 PM

Not done yet...I have some touch up to do and maybe a final dull coat.  I used some reference material on the net and found my model was missing wuite a few things.  So I stretch some sprue, added antennas on the rudder, in front of cockpit, and behind cockpit.  Then added radio cables.  I also added an antenna on the right wing. 

Mike

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:12 PM

She looks really good. i think your refering to the port wing and i beleive (correct me if im wrong guys) its a pitot tube. used for measuring relative airspeed. But that aside. she looks pretty damn good. wish i could turn them out that quick. im a slow average quality builder lol

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Ripcord on Monday, May 31, 2010 10:28 AM

A question about weathering.  Say if I wanted to put flash around the guns in the wings it would be a black.  Being that the aircraft is dark sea blue it would be rather hard to see any weathering less the paint chips in silver.  Also the exhaust.  Would I mixed the black with a grey residue or how would I go about achieving this with a dark aircraft?

Mike

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Monday, May 31, 2010 4:08 PM

rule of thumb. the darker the aircraft the lighter the weathering. so i black aircraft would be weathered in a buff or light brow and a white aircraft would be weathered in black or very dark brown. so with a dark sea blue fight. a medium brown for the exhausts and a medium grey for gun smoke residue. really its just a case of playing with colours till it looks right on a test piece. but before you go putting it on your kit. leave it overnight. you might disagree with your decision in the morning.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.