SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Tamiya Buff?

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Tamiya Buff?
Posted by Jester75 on Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:56 PM
Is Tamiya buff a close enough color for the interior on German armor? I know there's always a debate on actual color but seems like buff is the most agreed upon.

Eric

Posted by Circuitrider on Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:47 PM

Jester75 wrote:
Is Tamiya buff a close enough color for the interior on German armor? I know there's always a debate on actual color but seems like buff is the most agreed upon.

Eric,

The only reference I have is paint by other manufacturers.  When I hold Tamiya Buff XF-57 next to Testors Model Master Panzer Interior Buff 2014, there is, IMHO, a difference.  The Testors is decidedly more white than the light-tan appearance of the Tamiya.  The Tamiya is at least 2 shades darker than the Testors.  Had I to choose (which I do very shortly as I finish my Tiger) I think I would lighten the Tamiya Buff about 25% with Tamiya white and work from that point. 

Posted by Jester75 on Sunday, May 6, 2007 9:57 PM
Thank you very much for the reply David, it is duly noted. Think I will try to get my hands on a bottle of the Model Master Panzer Interior Buff!

Eric

Posted by constructor on Sunday, May 6, 2007 10:50 PM
That is basically what I do. I spray my interiors with the XF-57 and then I dust the whole place with flat white. It gives a little shading to the nooks and crannies.
Posted by the doog on Monday, May 7, 2007 3:01 PM
 Circuitrider wrote:

Jester75 wrote:

Eric,

The only reference I have is paint by other manufacturers.  When I hold Tamiya Buff XF-57 next to Testors Model Master Panzer Interior Buff 2014, there is, IMHO, a difference.  The Testors is decidedly more white than the light-tan appearance of the Tamiya.  The Tamiya is at least 2 shades darker than the Testors.  Had I to choose (which I do very shortly as I finish my Tiger) I think I would lighten the Tamiya Buff about 25% with Tamiya white and work from that point. 

Always remember guys, that ANY paint in 1/35 scale should be lightened by approximately 25% to give proper scale appearance. IMHO, when you look at a lot of the photo evidence, the interiors look more white than anything, so I just usually hit it with a coat of white and then a wash of dark umber tones it down nicely into proper spec...
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.