SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

New acrylic based super glue ???

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
New acrylic based super glue ???
Posted by rudedog on Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:44 PM
 While reading one of the recent mainstream model magazines [ problem #1,I don't remember which ] ,there was a breif review aboue a U.K. company marketing an acrylic based super glue that they said had an extended working time.That plus the fact it's water based really would make working with P.E. so much easier ,for me,anyway.Please somebody come to my rescue with a company name,web address or the magazine I saw it in, as I've searched in vain through my remaining mags.Unfortunately,I tend to share most with friends. Any help will be greatly appreciated.   keith

"...That's an order,not a debate topic , Sergeant Rudzik..."

Posted by metroman on Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:39 PM

Gator Glue?  Relatively new and has the characteristics you mentioned about being an alternative to CA with some work time.   I have it and it is indeed a nice product to use with etch, gives a bit of work time.

http://gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder.html

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=2660

Posted by rudedog on Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:56 AM

Thanks so much metroman for the fast response & reviews. All I can say is this stuff sounds  like it's gonna be the answer to people like myself that are truly all thumbs when it comes to manipulating P.E. , c.a. & suitible applicators.And while gel type c.a. does give more time,I always end up using too much,leaving a big unsightly glob.  Thanks again , keith

"...That's an order,not a debate topic , Sergeant Rudzik..."

Posted by Bockscar on Friday, February 11, 2011 9:08 PM

Keith:

I'm experimenting with acrylic-based glue, I can't use CA because it gives me flu-like symptoms.

I'ld do more PE but you need CA for that. Your review is encouraging.

I'll post anything interesting here, 

Thanks Keith,

Dominic

Posted by vetteman42 on Friday, February 11, 2011 11:22 PM

That sounds like great stuff, I have been using crystal clear glue for PE or Future, dont have much luck with ca for some reason. Anyway Harbor Freight carries Gator Glue so I will be making a trip there tomorrow. May even find a few more goodies while I am there, a great excuse doth ya think ?

Randy So many to build.......So little time

Posted by Aaronw on Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:10 AM

You can use other glues, 5 min epoxy, white glue and even a clear coat like Future work fine depending on the part, how it goes on and how much handling it has to endure. I frequently put PE parts that lay flat on with Future and have had no problems with them falling off.  

Posted by wjbwjb29 on Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:36 PM

Hello;

Would Future be good to assemble Eduard seat belts. The little bits that have to be glued on the belt itself.

Bill

On the Bench:   Trumperter Tsesarevich on deck Glencoe USS Oregon

Posted by vetteman42 on Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:01 PM

wjbwjb29

Hello;

Would Future be good to assemble Eduard seat belts. The little bits that have to be glued on the belt itself.

Bill

Works for me I do it all the time just remember they have to be flat against the mateing surface and have the seatbelts bent and shaped as you want them before glueing with future.

PS I even use it to seal belts made from masking tape

Randy So many to build.......So little time

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.