SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Tips for using Blacken-It on Friul Tracks?

13 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Tips for using Blacken-It on Friul Tracks?
Posted by RAILhead on Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:14 PM

I'm trying to get my Friul tracks aged and initially weathered using Blacken-It, but I'm having coverage issues. Here's a pic:

This is after a 90 second soak. I then used a brush with Blacken-It to get into the recesses, but nothing happened.

Is there some kind of cleaning process I can go through that will help the Blacken-It do its thing? I'm assuming there's a film on the tracks acting like an etchant resist...

Thanks!

Maury

Posted by wing_nut on Friday, February 5, 2010 6:42 AM

Hay Maury

That's from little bubbles that get caught in those holes.  After assembly, I will always give my a good soak in some white vinegar.  I use a tooth brush to scrub down into the holes.  Then a good wash with dish soap and the tooth brush again.   That's just the basic prep to get the mold release off.  You may still get bubbles.   Do the Blacken-It in a small Tupperware or similar and shake it a few time to try and get the bubbles loose.

I one time made a long tray out of folded aluminum foil to soak the tracks laid out and then got all the bubbles out with a brush.

Marc  

Posted by I make stuff on Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:42 AM

I just did some, I did a dish soap scrub, a 2 hour warm vinegar soak, a 24 hour air dry, then a 10+ minute soak in a tupperware, shaking, followed by a toothbrush scrub in the exact areas you have white metal, I dipped the brush in the solultion in between scrubbing, then I soaked the whole shebang again for about 10 minutes.  When it's done, the solution looks like muddy water.  It stops working at that point.

Posted by mzaborsk on Sunday, February 7, 2010 6:40 PM

.... My procedure is as follows.

Vingar and water overnight brush and clean good

Rinse with water

Dry overnight if necessay

Soak in Blacken overnight and brush

Rinse with water

Dry again

Soak in Blacken overnight and brush

Dry

Finsh with oils and pigments of your choice... lots of blacken..... would like to try TANK RATS product he claims it's reusable....

Tags: Blacken-it
Posted by RAILhead on Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:13 PM

I'll do a vinegar soak and try.

Seems like overnight is a little extreme to the point of degrading the metal, though. Do you have any pics you can post of the final results?

Posted by mzaborsk on Monday, February 8, 2010 10:26 AM

No picks...all my tracks are painted and on the model... Speaking of tracks Bronco makes tracks that they claim are workable AB 3515 for a Landwasser my current project ... Fruilmodel tracks will be double the price when they become available... ever use the Bronco product? I like the Fruilmodel stuff a lot because it stays in one piece when your done... I have done about 10 sets...they look great and installs easy on the model.

Tanks Michael

Posted by Tojo72 on Friday, February 12, 2010 11:41 AM

I say use regular painting+weathering,that blacken-it is expensive

Dre
Posted by Dre on Friday, February 12, 2010 11:49 AM

There was a similar thread sometime back and someone mentioned an alternative to Blacken It, does anyone remember what that product was, or have a better solution?  If I could get this stuff by the gallon...

Posted by Pvt Mutt on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:04 PM

1- Wash in Joy dishwashing liquid  and warm water and then rinse:

2- Tracks covered with "Black4Tracks" (AFV Depot) for about 30 seconds:

3- Soak in Baking Soda (level teaspoon) mixed with a glass of warm water (30 minutes) this will neutralize the acids and then rinse and let dry.

Here's the results. "NO" or very small silver spots at best.

I then apply a coat of Burnt Sienna oil wash followed by a coat of Raw Umber oil wash to tone down the Sienna.

I don't work for Tankrat I just know it's a better product than "Blacken-It" for what I use it for.  I understand that of late there has been a problem getting what was ordered from Tankrat but i've never had such problems and have always been satisfied with his service.

This was posted for what it is worth and in no way am I trying to sell you anything.

Tony LeeSmile

Shoot Low Boys They're Ridin Ponys

Posted by mzaborsk on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:06 PM

Your right looks much better...can it be re used?  Tank Rats always has been good for me he has had computer issues spends lots of the time on the road and never gets back to me...either e mail or phone call....  to bad.

When you don't take care of the customer somone else will!

Thanks Tony, apreciate the demonstation I  would like to try the product.....

michael

Posted by Pvt Mutt on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:58 PM

Hi Michael and you're Welcome. I've used the same bottle on four sets so far and it's still going strong.

Tony LeeSmile

Posted by mzaborsk on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:53 PM

Looks like it's more cost effective then blacken it product... let me see what kind of responce I can get from John with an order.....I left him a message and a email on fruil tracks for land wasser atl 104.. He apears to be missing in action or traveling.

thanks Tony!

Posted by mzaborsk on Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:32 AM

Spoke to Tankrat last night at 10:00 pm EST he is alive, an is shipping out my Black for tracks today....

As soon as the Land wasser tracks become available they will be my first test of the product.   I'm working on some soft skins now....

Posted by Pvt Mutt on Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:02 PM

That's Great MZYes The Rat has been getting beat up pretty good at one of the other sites but i've never had a problem. Seem to be a very nice guy and service has always been good.  I have no doubts that you'll really like his Black4Tracks,I sure do.

See Ya Later

Tony LeeSmile

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.