SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Help !

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Help !
Posted by chewybr on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:43 PM

I thinned acrylic paint with rubbing alcohol, due to I believe I saw somewhere that stated you could. But anyway my plane is a fw-190 i painted it with MM enemal paints and used future before putting the decals on, and after. i let everything dry and started my weathering with black and grey mix to weather, thinned with alcohol everything was going great untill the plane started to dry. now im left with white spots all over the plane. ive washed it in dishsoap bath but once the plane drys again, the white spots appear

-Matt

facebook  me Matthew Browning if you'd like to talk about the hobby

Work Bench Builds

Tamiya fw-190 d9 jv44

Revell-Monogram visible B-17G

Posted by Bigwill on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:59 PM

I don't understand are the white spots from the black and grey acrylic or is it something on the plane itself(the future layer)

You may have you use ammonia to remove the future and start again.

Can you take a pic?

Posted by chewybr on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:43 PM

it like alcohol residue. but ive washed it off with dishsoap, when its wet the residue looks like its gone. but once it dries it turns white again. the pics dont even cut it close. in the pics it looks silver or grey, but its white.

-Matt

Work Bench Builds

Tamiya fw-190 d9 jv44

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:59 AM

Note that Future is essentially an acrylic clear coat. a wash of acrylic paint thinned with alcohol is likely to eat straight through your Future coat.

If you are clear coating with Future in preparation for washes/weathering, then your washes should be oils or enamels (thinned with the appropriate medium) rather than acrylics thinned with alcohol.

If your clouding appears to vanish when you wet the model with water, you may (no promises) be able to eliminate the clouding by applying anothe coat of Future to the affected areas.

Posted by Mobious on Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:05 PM

That's good advice PhilYes Give the Future another try before resorting to stripping. Stripping will more than likely damage the decals too.

"It's a problem of applied physics" Roy Brown

Posted by chewybr on Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:56 PM

I brushed a heavy coat of future back on to the plane to see if it would work as of now it is. but the decals are starting to peal alittle. and i brushed on decal set and sitting nothing. I guess the alochol ate the future finish and bleed into the enemal paint

-Matt

Work Bench Builds

Tamiya fw-190 d9 jv44

Posted by AlterEcho on Thursday, December 2, 2010 11:22 PM

Sorry to see that...looks like it was going to be a killer camo job.

Hard to tell from the photos, but could you salvage it by making it look like a plane that has suffered years of neglect...like abandoned in a field, maybe.

Just a thought...

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.