SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

M1A2 SEP w/Tusk Maintenance Dio

25 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
M1A2 SEP w/Tusk Maintenance Dio
Posted by HeavyArty on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:47 PM

As some of you may have been following in the Armor Forum, I was building an M1A2 SEP with full engine, interior, and TUSK.  I have completed it and added it to a dio base with a couple of figures.  Here is the in-process build.

I added some tools from the spares box and a field table.  I also added two figures for scale and to add a little life.  The mechanic is from the Warriors AAVR7 Maintenance Crew set.  I changes his hat from a watch cap to the boonie cap and swapped out the sledge hammer he was carrying for a wrench.  The tanker is Alpine's excellent OIF Tanker #1 with a new head and a CVC helmet in his hand.  The story line is that the tanker is explaining an ssue with the tank to the mechanic.

Here it is overall:

And some closer pics:

More can be seen here.

As always, all comments are welcomed.

Gino P. Quintiliani - Field Artillery - The KING of BATTLE!!!

Check out my Gallery: https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by beav on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:42 PM

Looks Great Gino, 

Some things I noticed that I really liked; the tanker has the appropriate pointing gesture; directing gaze without any grotesque finger pointing (which we all know makes equipment break even more than it already has).  And the mechanic has the typical pose that just speaks to the normal attitude of: "yes, I saw that oil leak when I walked over; yes, I know the BG has said that we need all systems up and running IOT ...., but, we don't have that part right now.  We can order it but it has to come from the states and..."  That typical patient waiting expression is awesome.

Looking at the other pics now, wow!

"First to Fire!"

Steven

Posted by redleg12 on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:22 PM

Gino - A prize winner if I ever saw one. Love the field table. As Beav discribe the figs perfect......the only thing missing from the mechanic is the oil stain on the coveralls. The engine area looks great. My only thought was a bottle of water on the table....which was the main rason to begin with that the mechanic came away from the engine....to get a drink!!. Now he has to listen to this PIA  Wink

Nice overall lines...You caught the look!! Fantastic

Rounds Complete!!

"The Moral High Ground....A Great Place to Emplace Artillery."

Posted by the doog on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:57 PM

Great model and dio, Gino. This should light up some faces when they see it!

I would suggest a few things as well, even though I"m sure there are reasons why I might be wrong on them.

Oil and water/fluid stains on the floor?..., maybe some concrete dust or sand that fell from the tank on the floor; and how about perhaps if those stains would have been cleaned up ASAP, maybe some oily rags around to show that?

All in all though, the presentation is superb! YesBeer

Posted by Stage_Left on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:10 PM

Most impressive, Gino. Love it.....

Posted by Pawel on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:07 AM

Gino,

good you posted a pointer to this one in the armor thread! The dio looks very good, I especially like the figures, not to mention THE MACHINE. Everything is very clean, maybe even too clean, but let's say it's "save, organized, military manner" Big Smile. Congratulations on the completed build and have a nice day

Paweł

All comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for your honest opinions!

www.vietnam.net.pl

Posted by HeavyArty on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:14 AM

Thanks guys.  I'm glad you like it.  The oil and dirt stains are on the base and the mechanic.  The photo just washes them out some.  I too think the look of the mechanic is perfect.  He just looks bored to death by the tanker telling him what he already knows.  He has that "I got it" look to him.  Thanks for checking in on it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by minimortar on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:36 AM

Just gotta chime in here as well Gino. This dio finished up wonderfully and has to be your best effort to date. The figures bring this diorama to 'life' and glad to see that you have taken the time to add them! Outstanding!

Bow Down

Redleg-One-Two... Redleg-One-Two... this is... Romeo-Eight-Juliet... How copy... over.   Wink

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe

Mortars in Miniature
A Scale Model (Plus!) Collection of the Infantryman's Artillery

Posted by jetmodeler on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:37 AM

The build itself was just AMAZING. Now that it is in a dio it just brings it higher. Excellent job, very impressive.Bow Down

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:49 AM

Excellent work Gino Yes.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by HeavyArty on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:44 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys.  I too think the figures make this one better.

Posted by spacepacker on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:06 AM

Hey, followed this from the Amour side; great build. One question tho', why doesn't the Mech hit him with one of the crowbars?????...cheers....Kenny

Posted by HeavyArty on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:37 PM

spacepacker
One question tho', why doesn't the Mech hit him with one of the crowbars?????

That is why I changed out his hat and swapped the sledge hammer for a wrench.  The original figure looked like he was about to beat the hell out of the other guy in the set.

Posted by beav on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:43 PM

The best moment I've had yet was when the mechanics from battalion were changing a headlight on one of our 5-Tons.  He had the hood open screwdriver in hand...when...a gasket on the oil filter blew up.  Perfect timing.

"First to Fire!"

Steven

Posted by SprueOne on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:51 PM

HeavyArty
 That is why I changed out his hat and swapped the sledge hammer for a wrench.  The original figure looked like he was about to beat the hell out of the other guy in the set.

http://i.ebayimg.com/09/!B6wuUD!!mk~$(KGrHqIOKnEEy0W-ZP43BMyZIUv2ug~~_35.JPG

haha, true! I got to find and buy this figure set. So many scenarios that the standing figure can be involved in 

but anyway, good story going on in your diorama. The tanker is saying something like, "... and then it makes a 'drrrrbt drrrrrbt thmp thmp drrrrbt drrrrrbt' sound everytime we turn left with the rollers.." 

Anyone with a good car don't need to be justified - Hazel Motes

Iron Rails 2015 by Wayne Cassell Weekend Madness sprueone

Posted by HeavyArty on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:15 PM

Thanks for checking in Beav and SprueOne.  I too like the figure.

Posted by camo junkie on Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:16 PM

real nice Yes

"An idea is only as good as the person who thought of it...and only as brilliant as the person who makes it!!"
Posted by HeavyArty on Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:59 PM

Thanks Camo Junkie, glad you like it.

Posted by RBaer on Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:20 AM

In a word: Sweet! I'm sure the recipient will be pleased.

Apprentice rivet counter.

Posted by HeavyArty on Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:39 PM

Thanks RBear.  The new owner was very pleased.

Posted by rudedog on Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:00 PM

Like all your builds,very nice.What engine set did you use & was it specific to the A1SEP ? Also, what is TUSK an acronym for [ I'm assuming it's the mine -rollers,just always love hearing Milspeak ]. Semperfi, keith r. 

"...That's an order,not a debate topic , Sergeant Rudzik..."

Posted by HeavyArty on Friday, January 28, 2011 6:40 AM

Thanks rudedog.  I'm glad you like it.  The engine set is from CKM.   It is not specific to the M1A2 SEP (not A1 SEP), but can be used on any Abrams.  It was designed for the Tamiya kit, so it took a little tweaking to get it to fit the Dragon kit.  TUSK refers not to the mine roller, but the add-on armor (side skirts and belly armor), gunshields, and .50 cal on top of the barrel.  It stands for Tank Urban Survival Kit.  They were added after lessons in street fighting in Iraq to make the tank more survivable.

• From: 41 Degrees 52.4 minutes North; 72 Degrees 7.3 minutes West
Posted by bbrowniii on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:22 AM

Superb, Gino.  I really like it! Yes

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' - Edmund Burke (1770 ??)

Posted by HeavyArty on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:59 PM

Thanks bbrowniii.  It was a fun build.

Posted by 3rdlav on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:46 PM

great build. Big Smile But the tank looks to clean too have a problem.But then my monitor isn't the best Sad But still an awesome build. Toast

Posted by HeavyArty on Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:20 PM

Thanks 3rdlav.  It is dirtier than shows up in the pics.  I think the lighting washed it out a bit.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.