SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Galaxy Quest Nachtjager

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Galaxy Quest Nachtjager
Posted by stcat on Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:48 AM

I completed my first lighted model, the Galaxy Quest (1999 film with Tim Allen) starship.  Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

[View:/themes/fsm/utility/Photobucket:550:0]

I freehanded Uhu style camo onto it, added PE engine grills, antennas and front sensors.  I put on battle damage by brushing alcohol in the pattern I wanted and flash burning it so that it appeared it had been hit on the starboard side.  (Very dangerous to do by the way, do it outside).

I made the stand out of a box from the craft shop, and it holds the 9V battery and swtich.

[View:/themes/fsm/utility/Photobucket:550:0]

It was a nightmare cutting out bracing to fit the wiring.  After I had put the kit together, and put on the first layer of white, the pressure of the wires split both wings open.  I had to put in cardstock and redo.  I'm tempted to rework the milliput near the antennas, but I already broke them off several times.

It was fun making it weathered like a WW2 fighter, with all the suspension of belief that requires.  I learned a lot making this.

Posted by Archellion on Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:13 PM

Nice work.  Interesting take on the NSEA Protector.  Did you come up with the alcohol technique yourself?

Also, it would be cool to have a shot of it in the dark with its lights on.

Posted by stcat on Friday, June 10, 2011 3:47 PM

Don't know if anyone else does burn marks that way.  I did it because I still am bad at airbrushing burnt metal.  Need to get an F-100 and practice.

I'll have to make a night shot.  And get a better camera.  Darn things blurry.

Posted by Gerry on Friday, June 10, 2011 5:52 PM

Awesome job!

I'd never heard of doing burn marks that way. I just use black chalk.

the ship really does look terrific

Gerry ...Young at Heart - Other parts slightly older.

Posted by Andrew Magoo on Saturday, June 11, 2011 2:47 AM

Beautiful work, are you going to do a Star Trek ship of some kind? Galaxie Quest took shots at Star Trek through out the movie, very funny, so Galaxie Quest has become a favorite of mine but I am a Star Trek nut as well. Again great work, Magoo 

Posted by Banshee1000 on Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:03 AM

That's an incredibly nice finish.  Thanks for sharing your technique.

Posted by stcat on Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:26 AM

I have plans for a Star Trek Voyager down the line.  But I'll have to get better at using Milliput.

Posted by Boba Fett on Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:32 AM

Wow! I love that!

Regular rubbing alcohol? I might have to try that at some point. It looks VERY good!

Posted by Gamera on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:29 AM

Beautiful work!

Only thing I'd have changed is with the Nightfighter scheme I'd be tempted to have built it up as a 'Mirror Universe' version of the Protector. Heck, I've even seen aftermarket decals for such a ship. And somehow Tim Allen playing his own evil twin brings a smile to my face.

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.