SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

$500 shopping spree

17 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
$500 shopping spree
Posted by Echo139er on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:36 AM

If you were given $500 for hobby related Tools/Supplies ONLY (no kits) shopping spree what would you buy?  And, this would only apply to one weekend (Sat, & Sun). Online is okay but all orders need to placed within the given time frame. 

I might just have that exact opportunity here in about 30 days or so.  I made a small wager and I believe I am going to win.

I need ideas of what to buy.

I for one do not have an airbrush compressor.  I use my general purpose one in the garage.  So i would buy one for sure and maybe an airbrush to go with it.

Then again I would like stock up on paints.

Oh man i just don't know.  Help!  What would YOU do?

Posted by Hercmech on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:59 AM

I would buy a better compressor with a bigger tank. A nice PE bending tool, a vacum former, a better magnifier, and maybe some paint (always have to buy more paint)

Posted by DoogsATX on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:12 AM

If you already have a compressor (I use a big shop compressor as well...like having it across the garage when it cycles!), I'd save the money there. A few options...

- If you don't have one, get an awesome spray booth

- New airbrush. Get a dedicated one for fine detail, or for acrylics, or whatever.

- Mixing jars (I can never have enough of these)

- Ultrasonic cleaner

- Storage for paints/pigments/supplies

- Better bench chair

- Fresh set of sanding sticks

- PE bending tool

- If you don't have it, better bench lighting. 

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by Hercmech on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:30 AM

DoogsATX

If you already have a compressor (I use a big shop compressor as well...like having it across the garage when it cycles!), I'd save the money there. A few options...

- If you don't have one, get an awesome spray booth

- New airbrush. Get a dedicated one for fine detail, or for acrylics, or whatever.

- Mixing jars (I can never have enough of these)

- Ultrasonic cleaner

- Storage for paints/pigments/supplies

- Better bench chair

- Fresh set of sanding sticks

- PE bending tool

- If you don't have it, better bench lighting. 

Yeah that was the one I knew I would want but could not think f it. A Paint booth.

Posted by DoogsATX on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:38 AM

Hercmech

Yeah that was the one I knew I would want but could not think f it. A Paint booth.

When I build my bench anew when we move later this year, that's high on my list. Literally right after a new workbench (Craftsman 8-footer, please!) and a non-awful chair. I'm even going to have a window directly behind the bench, so venting will be the easiest thing ever.

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by Echo139er on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:51 AM

I have a home-made booth.  its not the best but a new one is expensive.  If you guys know of a good deal I am all ears (err.. eyes). Remember its only $500.

I do need a new dedicated bench. So that might be going on the list.

Keep on coming with the ideas.  The goal here is to compile a shopping list (with sources and prices).

Posted by smeagol the vile on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:04 PM

I would rent out chuckW for the weekend to make the details for all the kits I have on my bench...

Posted by wing_nut on Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:07 AM

joeviz

I made a small wager and I believe I am going to win.

You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

But... A display case and a rent-a-maid to clean all the models before puttin' 'em inside.

Marc  

Posted by Echo139er on Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:34 AM

wing_nut

You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table

There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

The prize money comes with a limited time frame.  Time management dictates I have a detailed list ready to go.

Let me give you a little peak at the wager just in case you were wondering who is willing to dish-out $500 dollars for supplies.

This wager has to do with healthy living. I live a very sedentary lifestyle. My job requires little to no physical activity; neither does my hobby for that matter.  I was approached by a friend of mine with a challenge based on our work schedule.  Our slow period at work goes from early May to end of Aug. (around 4 months).

The challange is for me to workout at least one hour a day for the first month and then 2 hours a day for the reamining months.  Workout= any mid-impact physical activity other than walking (or in addition to).  So I jog, swim, weight lift, and do some group cardio workouts.

The prize: He knows how much I enjoy my hobby. So for motivation he offered the cash for the shopping spree.  Rumor is the Mrs. and kids might throw in some extra funds too.

I have roughly 30 days left and I have not missed a single day!

Posted by Don Stauffer on Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:59 AM

A modeler's drill press comes in handy at times.  I have two Dremels- a battery unit for normal use and an AC model for heavy grinding.  I use the battery unit a lot, occasionally use the heavy duty unit.

One of these days I'd like to pick up one of those miniature table saws like Dremel used to make.  There are a couple of brands still available.  They have either two inch or three inch blades.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Posted by waikong on Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:34 AM

Let me congratulate you on your healthier lifestyle, regardless whether you will the wager or not.  You get to spend more years on your hobby!

I'll go for a whole display case of paints with the rack.

Posted by the Baron on Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:53 AM

-Spray booth, saving me from having to build one (building it's not the problem, getting around to building it is)

-Vacuform machine, and same comment as above

That probably eats up the whole $500 right there.  Maybe get the Great Wall P-61, if there's enough left over, instead of waiting for it to come up second-hand on eBay/at shows.

Don't really need anything, it's all "niceta haves"

The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:55 AM

I'd buy two $229 kits and one $42 dollar kit...  

Posted by VanceCrozier on Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:04 PM

After some recent builds & looking at future projects, I'd throw some of that money at (if you don't have them already) some good hole punches, PE bending tools and a variety of styrene & brass etc. An upgraded (fine-line) airbrush and compressor would also be on my list.

On the bench: Airfix 1/72 Wildcat; Airfix 1/72 Vampire T11; Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister

Posted by smeagol the vile on Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:48 PM

Manstein's revenge

I'd buy two $229 kits and one $42 dollar kit...  

Cancle that, I'd use it to hire Manny for a few hours to sit and make 229$ jokes for me

Posted by Medicman71 on Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:53 PM

Spray booth, new airbrush, better compressor with a regulator, paint and lots of PUTTY (stupid Tomcat).

Building- (All 1/48) F-14A Tomcat, F-16C Blk 30, He 129

Posted by keilau on Monday, July 18, 2011 6:49 AM

joeviz

If you were given $500 for hobby related Tools/Supplies ONLY (no kits) shopping spree what would you buy?  And, this would only apply to one weekend (Sat, & Sun). Online is okay but all orders need to placed within the given time frame. 

I might just have that exact opportunity here in about 30 days or so.  I made a small wager and I believe I am going to win.

I need ideas of what to buy.

I for one do not have an airbrush compressor.  I use my general purpose one in the garage.  So i would buy one for sure and maybe an airbrush to go with it.

The Super Silent 20-A Air Compressor by Silentaire Technology.

The retail has gone up a little and over the $500 limit. This vendor often has the 10% off special. Hope you catch the sale at the right moment.

As a second choice, the Iwata Power Jet IS-900 Dual Piston Compressor is within your limit.

Posted by Kentucky Colonel on Friday, July 22, 2011 5:47 PM

This came in the other day.

/forums/t/139770.aspx?PageIndex=1

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.