Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

reshaping "glass" pieces??

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    April 2020
Posted by Eaglecash867 on Tuesday, July 5, 2022 3:43 PM

I use a Steinel temperature-controlled heat gun that I set at 210 degrees to make styrene or polycarbonate just flexible enough make small adjustments to the shape.  It has been quite useful for straightening cars chassis, warped wings, and warped canopies.

"You can have my illegal fireworks when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers...which are...over there somewhere."

  • Member since
    October 2019
  • From: New Braunfels, Texas
Posted by Tanker-Builder on Tuesday, July 5, 2022 2:22 PM


  • Member since
    September 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Tuesday, July 5, 2022 12:58 PM

I know that kit...

Sure, try the heat method. Pour boiling water on it and quickly bend it to where you want it. None of the glass in that kit fits well at all, assuming it's the Monogram one.



 Modeling is an excuse to buy books.


  • Member since
    October 2019
  • From: New Braunfels, Texas
Posted by Tanker-Builder on Tuesday, July 5, 2022 8:53 AM

Hi! Make a vacuform mold and re-create that part in the proper shape

  • Member since
    June 2017
Posted by UnwaryPaladin on Tuesday, July 5, 2022 8:33 AM

Maybe a thin piece of acetate? Can you post a picture?

  • Member since
    July 2022
reshaping "glass" pieces??
Posted by cokebeetle on Saturday, July 2, 2022 10:06 PM

Hello, i hope someone has a suggestion on how to address "mis-shaped" glass. I have and old P-61 kit and the 2 small vertical windows in the rear of the main fuselage seam to have "flattened out".

The piece is supposed to have a sharp radius near the top of the glass to match the fuselage contour, but the radius WAY to shallow and leaves a very large gap and will not fit into the hole without looking like a 2 year old put it together. If put in from the outside (instead of the inside) the top (after the radius) sticks out... alot. This is not something that could be sanded into place as it would then be way to short

So, can i apply heat to reshape or is this asking for trouble? Is there a better way? any advice would be appreciated.


Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.