Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

cutting moulded plastic tools?

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    November 2005
cutting moulded plastic tools?
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, June 16, 2003 6:21 PM
Smile [:)]hi everybody is there anyone who could tell me what tools cutt through plastic kits cleanly i want to adjust postions on some figures and cut thourgh flaps and ailirons on planes i have heard people use cotten ? and something called a razorsaw any info would be very welcomed thanksSmile [:)]
  • Member since
    January 2003
Posted by shermanfreak on Monday, June 16, 2003 8:20 PM
Cotten ??? ... no idea what this is all about .... maybe someone else has heard of this.

Razer Saw - now this I know ... it's a small saw blade that kinda looks like a mitre saw that attaches to a large hobby knife handle. It's made by companies like Exacto or Excel and has a thin blade. It can also be used with a mini mitre box. They are a little bulky for cutting fine detail though.

Trusty #11 Blade - this is probably one of the easiest and cheepest ways to cut something out. Instead of cutting with the knife edge, use the other side and draw the back of the point along the seam you wish to cut. Repeat this procedure intil you have cut completely through the plastic.
Happy Modelling and God Bless Robert
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 12:07 PM
I have heard of using a scriber to cut out flaps, etc. A razor saw is also known a s a jewler's saw.

Thanks for the #11 tip shermanfreak, don't think i've heard that one
  • Member since
    February 2003
  • From: New Zealand
Posted by nzgunnie on Friday, June 20, 2003 5:01 AM
As well as normal razor saws you can get very small ones that fit in the smaller x acto handle. The ones I have are by a company called Maxx and are the no13 fine saw blades.
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, June 20, 2003 10:02 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by shermanfreak

Cotten ??? ... no idea what this is all about .... maybe someone else has heard of this.

He may be thinking of cotton thread. I think I remember reading, hearing, imaginingTongue [:P] about someone using a piece of thread to "saw" through plastic. They would wrap it around their fingers like floss and just saw back and forth while holding it tight. I don't know but a #11 sounds a lot easier to me. I don't remember their rationale for doing it that way.

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Pominville, NY
Posted by BlackWolf3945 on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 1:44 AM
Yep, cotton thread is an old craftsman's trick from back in the day.

Razor saws and X-acto blades do it for me. I've also used a dremel & cut-off wheels for quick and dirty cuts where aesthetics didn't matter much.

Fade to Black...

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.