SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Mongram 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker - a horde of questions!!

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Mongram 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker - a horde of questions!!
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 15, 2006 6:59 AM

Hello all!!

This is my first post here.

I recently acquired an old Mongram 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker (the Big, Bad & Beautifaul one) at a swap meet (for a very good price too, thank goodness) and will eventually get around to building the thing once I've found some space for it.

In the mean time I have a few questions about building it that, hopefully, some knowledgable forummers can help me with...

So here goes:

- what paints are the best for the aluminium and magnesium segments?  If possible I'd like a few choices as I'm located in Australia and I'm not sure what range of suitable paints I can get hold of down here;

- how wide were the black stripes on the upper wing surfaces?

- as the Monogram kit doesn't include decals for the upper wing stripes, are there suitable alternative decalling/striping items I could use (as an alternative to 57 years of masking and painting!);

- I don't think the kit includes the communication shaft - any suggestions for what I could use for this if I keep the bomb doors open?

- I may include some ground support items, including a spare Academy jeep.  Any ideas where I could source these (and appropriate 1/72 people) from?  And what colour should I paint my jeep?

- I have bought a set of B-36 painting masks from Black Magic, which include wheel hub and canopy masks.  There are also 6 crescent-shaped masks - any idea what these might be for?  (I've asked the vendors at Meteor Productions but they haven't responded yet);

- my set of Mongram instructions don't include the part names - I read somewhere that the newer Revell release contains a re-vamped instruction sheet - does any one have a copy that they could scan and send/email to me?

- does anyone do a 1/72 Mark 17 hydrogen bomb???  Might be good to put in the bomb bay...

-   Does the model need a nose weight to prevent the tail falling down?  (I don’t want to use that silly-looking prop that comes with the kit).  If so, what sort of weighting material should I use, how much, and where should it go?  Will I need to strengthen the nose wheel parts if I weight the nose?

Any other general advice about building this kit would also be very welcome.

Well that's all for now.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by upnorth on Friday, September 15, 2006 7:28 AM

Sign - Welcome [#welcome] Welcome to the forums Tony, good to have a new face around here.

I can answer a few of your questions:

As I recall, the kit has the walkways represented as raised lines. If so, then I'd just take my measurements from those and cut black decal film to fit.

For your masks, I'm going to guess that the six crescent shapes are to mask off the engine intakes along the wing leading edge.

Metalizer type paints are best for bare metal finishes, a few companies make them, Alclad is by far the best known, but Testors also makes a metalizer line. You will need an airbrush if you want to go the metalizer route.

Nose weight is a must for this kit, I don't remember exactly how much I used, but I put it between the main gear well and the bomb bay. I didn't strengthen the nose gear parts, but quickly wished I had re-enforced the wing to fuselage joint. I used a combination of ball bearings and lead fishing weights.

I found the plastic wing brace part to not be strong enough when I had it all together and eventually the wing joint snapped on mine. Had I to do it again, I would use the wing brace part as a template to make a replacement from from wood or some stronger material.

Posted by 72cuda on Friday, September 15, 2006 7:55 AM

Tony;

Sign - Welcome [#welcome] first off welcome to the forum,

Here's some info for your B-36, the Paint well it depends on what is available to you in the land down under, here in the U.S. we have Testors Metalizer and ALCLAD (which is the better of the two and has a high sheen for bare metal finishes) the only down fall is that they need to be airbrushed on, and the ALCLAD is a little pricey at close to $10.00 U.S. a bottle but I think it's worth it's cost, for the nose weights I haven't tried this guys stuff but I heard great things about his nose weights and here is his website NightieMission@aol.com , he's got alot of Revell/Monograms 1/48 kits and 1/72 stuff too, and I thinks he's starting on other companies kits for nose weights as we speek

84 of 795 1/72 Aircraft Competed for Lackland's Airman Heritage Museum

Was a Hawg Jet Fixer, now I'm a FRED Fixer   

'Cuda

Posted by espins1 on Friday, September 15, 2006 12:08 PM
I'll look at my B-36 instructions tonight, and if they're the ones you need I'll scan and e-mail them to you.

Scott Espin - IPMS Reno High Rollers  Geeked My Reviews 

Posted by mustang10 on Friday, September 15, 2006 12:13 PM
I'll look at my instructions too.
Posted by Lucien Harpress on Friday, September 15, 2006 9:30 PM
I built that kit a while back, so I'll see what I can do with some of your questions.

• I painted mine rather simply.  I sprayed the entire model simple Aluminum from a spray can, and then coated the pressurized sections in Bare Metal Foil.  I have no idea if there's something similar in Austrailia, but the results are simple and very accurate.
  • The wing-walk stripes should me molded in.
  • I would recommend using black decal strips, or send an E-mail to Revell Germany.  (www.revell.de, I think)  They re-boxed the kit a while back, and contained with it decal wingwalk stripes.
  • The communication tube in included, but only half of it.  You can barely see it through the bomb racks.
  • Sorry, I have no idea where to find ground equipment.
  • Haven't worked with the mask sets either.
  • I had the instructions, too, but lost 'em.  Sorry again!
  • To my knowledge, a Hydrogen bomb in this scale doesn't exist.  But, I could be wrong.
  • Nose weight?  Oh yeah.  LOTS of it.  I pretty much filled the area in the fuselage between the cockpit and bomb bay with nuts, bolts, and sinkers of every kind.  You don't need to really worry about reinforcing the front landing gear so long as you don't load too much weight in front.  The main landing gear is pretty strong on its own.  I've had it built for a few years now, and everything seems to be alright.
As for general tips, fit isn't perfect, but it isn't horrible.  A longer wings spar is probably a good idea, as the wing tips of mine droop a little bit.  Also, be sure to get the wings aligned correctly, with the top flat and the bottom tapering up into it.  The wing to fuselage joint is a pain in the rear, so be warned.  Also, the diagonal supports for the jet pods splay the pods out too far.  Be prepared to possibly trim a bit off.  Test fit first, though.

This kit is really very nice, and an extremely impressive model can be built with it, if you put a little work into it.

Good luck!
That which does not kill you makes you stranger...
-The Joker
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:59 PM

Thanks to eveyone for their useful suggestions - if there's a copy of the Revell instructions that someone could send me a copy of I'd appreciate it.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.