SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Flak Bunker

16 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Flak Bunker
Posted by Stern0 on Friday, January 2, 2009 7:28 PM

This is a scatch built 1/35 German flak bunker, almost ready for final details and figures...pictures are not great but loved the light!

Always Faithful U.S.M.C
Posted by Huxy on Friday, January 2, 2009 8:36 PM

Sweet! looks great!  What is all those circle things on the ground there? What did you make the bunker out of? How did you paint it?is the bunker taken from any drawings or a real bunker?

It looks awsome tough.. think you just inspired me :) 

"Every War Starts And Ends With An Invasion".

Posted by Stern0 on Friday, January 2, 2009 9:02 PM

the circles are a stack of various mines to be deployed...This crazy thing is made, other than a cardboard square for the main structure, and figures and equipment, with 100% sheetrock mud and durobond. It was painted with acrylics, but applied with brushes and airbrush. Got the inspiration from a Verlinden piece..figured i could make it cheaper. It is a real configuration and found a few pictures on the web not too many specs.  glad you like it.

Always Faithful U.S.M.C
Posted by the doog on Friday, January 2, 2009 11:56 PM
WOW, man! That's seriously outstanding work! It looks terrific! I can't wait to see it all fleshed out with the figures!
mmc
Posted by mmc on Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:57 AM

That is some amazing scratchbuilding!!!!!! Fantastic work.

Mark

Posted by razorboy on Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:40 AM
Excellent work, nicely done!
Posted by MattSix on Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:03 PM

Wow! You made that bunker out of Joint Compound!? Excellent work!

The finished results look just like some of the "pre-fab" Verlinden pieces.

Nice job. Smile [:)]

Posted by Stern0 on Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:43 PM

yes...lots of joint compound...the terrain in the back is about 3 inches deep...the dam thing weighs 25 pounds....I did use clay for the upper wall and steps...then covered with "mud"  its easy to work with and gives a awsome concrete look...best of all its cheap! I bet a whole lot cheaper than a verlinden....

Always Faithful U.S.M.C
Posted by Stern0 on Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:47 PM
Thank you guys for the wonderful feedback.....ill be ready for my lumps when i post finished product....hope the gloves are off.
Always Faithful U.S.M.C
Posted by psstoff995 on Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:14 PM
Very nicely done! I'm about 1/4 of the way into making a bombed out urban/graveyard setting with foam, gel medium and clay- this bunker turned out great and looks like it went together relativly easily! Well done.

-Chris

US Army Infantryman

Posted by Stern0 on Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:33 PM
Thank you, it did go pretty smooth, but alot of sanding and pointing up led up to what you see. The terrain was time consumming because of the layering it took to get the grade I wanted.  I'm still not satisfied with some of the angles and the steps are a bit crooked. My biggest problem was I made the bunker square, to my dismay the back corner is cut at a angle (when grade is level it has machinegun slits, mine are burried) so I had to chop it off when the structure was almost complete...a real nightmare. Good luck with your build...hope to see it soon!
Always Faithful U.S.M.C
Posted by panzerguy on Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:36 PM

That's some outstanding workThumbs Up [tup].

Try using styro- foam to build up your terrain. It'll be a whole lot easier on the backBig Smile [:D]

"Happiness is a belt fed weapon"

Posted by calvin_ng on Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:56 PM
wow and you scratch built it!!!!!, you ought to receive an award, i have only knew one person that could scratch built like that!!!. excellent job!!!!!!. what did you cover the bunker with??? and the base did you use plaster????
Posted by psstoff995 on Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:27 PM

Stern0 wrote:
My biggest problem was I made the bunker square, to my dismay the back corner is cut at a angle (when grade is level it has machinegun slits, mine are burried) so I had to chop it off when the structure was almost complete...a real nightmare.

Glad to see that didn't stop you though!

And thanks for the good wishes, it might be some time before I get deep enough into the project to actually post some pictures. It's a pretty big one, probably bigger than most people concider to be within the acceptable range for a diorama size... but I've had the idea in my head for years and it's one of the first projects I started as a modeler so I figured I'd give it my best anyway

-Chris

US Army Infantryman

Posted by Bioya on Saturday, January 3, 2009 8:01 PM
Good concept and fine work. The only things I question are the mines and gasoline barrels so close to the site. If I were in charge, the only explosives near my site would be ammo. I was with a HAWK unit in Korea and we had flamables, etc. stored in bunkers far away from the missles, control and commo structures. Your layout certainly does add interest.
Posted by Stern0 on Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:30 PM

thank you Bioya..point taken. I think the concept as well as the title can be "preparing for war" I feel the mines will be layed very soon in prep for the yanks...and the bunker serves as a pit stop for German vehicles hench the gas..which is why i feel it it it is so well  defended. I think the finished product will make it a little more evident. I hope to be done this Weekend.

Always Faithful U.S.M.C
Posted by SteveM on Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:05 AM

Outstanding job! Requesting closer detail shots... Big Smile [:D]

Steve

Steve M.

On the workbench: ginormous Kharkov dio

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.