1/72 F4U-1D1 VF-84, of the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) Feb 1945

18 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
1/72 F4U-1D1 VF-84, of the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) Feb 1945
Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:01 PM

F4U - 1D    VF-84, USS Bunker Hill [CV-17]

[/CENTER]

History

During the remaining months of World War II Bunker Hill participated in the Iwo Jima operation and the 5th Fleet raids against Honshū and the Nansei Shoto (15 February-4 March); and the 5th and 3rd Fleet raids in support of the Okinawa operation. On 7 April 1945 Bunker Hill's planes took part in a Fast Carrier Task Force attack on a Japanese naval force in the East China Sea. The enemy battleship Yamato, one cruiser, and four destroyers were sunk during Operation Ten-Go.

At the head of this historic period was the Chance Vought F4U Corsair

The distinctive inverted gull wing was selected to minimize landing gear length while still providing proper clearance for the enormous propeller. The XF4U-1 first flew on May 29th, 1940 and immediately displayed exceptional performance. The Corsair became the first US fighter plane to exceed 400 MPH in level flight. When the Corsair was first introduced to combat in February 1943, it soon established an ascendancy over the Japanese planes then opposing it.

The Corsair served well through World War II and Korea. It served as a day fighter, night fighter and ground attack plane. The Corsair served with the French Aeronavale and other foreign Air Forces well into the 1960's.

The Model

I usually like to pick specific aircraft as my subjects such as the "Red 02" Mig 3 or Lt Stanley W Swede Vejtasa and his SBD Dauntless. In this case the image on the box just grabbed my attention.

Once I got home and opened the box I was sorely disappointed and pissed off. Then again what can you expect with an El-Cheap-O $7 model. I will be doing this as an OOB. I don't foresee any need for scratch building anything to drastic. Except for some excessive flash this kit is nicely detailed. Besides its just not worth the effort but I will be trying out some new weathering techniques.

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

JU-52/53 Minesweeper [1/72]

Twin Me 262's [1/72] Nightfighter and Big Cannon

Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:03 PM

Well I was able to get it all together, puttied, sanded and a fresh coat of Dark Sea Blue paint applied. It looks dark almost black in the photos but I think it looks great. I love the color

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by bodie37 on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:17 PM

Looking good so far Dirk. Thanks for the history at the begining. I'll keep an eye on the progress.

LennyThumbs Up [tup]

Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:37 PM

Hi everyone,

Well its time to return to the 'El-Cheep-O" F4F Corsair. Last we left her she was freshly painted, decal-ed and looking kinda like an airplane. After the decals were applied I applied another coat of Future to seal them in and let it dry for 24 hours.

The next step s to start the weathering process and this will be done in stages. That glossy Deep Sea Blue finish was tough and resisted fading and chipping, but a carrier at sea durring war time was no showroom. In other words they got DIRTY.

To simulate dust, grime, and salt I mixed some white and yellow oil paints and thinned them down to the thinnest of thin mixtures.

I then applied the mixture to the panel lines. As you can see the first batch was still too thick. I had to thin it down even more. Once it was at the right consistency (almost transparent) it virtually wound wick down the panel lines with little effort.

I would suggest working in quadrants at a time. Wait for the paint to set and then wipe off the excess using a cotton swab and rubbing in the direction of airflow. Be careful though if the paint isn't dry enough you'll end up removing it all. Because some spots got messier then others I then went over the panels using a paper towel with a touch of thinner to clean up the mess and even things out.

Due to the oil paints needing more time to dry this took a lot longer to dry then I expected. I will do the underside tonight. This is the first time I've tried this technique and so far I like the look.

We went from plain...

to pretty kewl...

I'll be adding more affects once the paint is fully cured.

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:26 PM

Ok, guys I did the underside of my "'El-Cheap-O" F4 Corsair. I applied the wash and let it sit for almost 2 hours before wiping it down. I got most of it but I'm going to let it dry some more before I go and polish the smears up. If I do it now it will wipe the panel lines clean too and that kind of defeats the purpose of the wash.

Again I'll let this cure real well and then we'll bring her back for the next round of wash and weathering.

Thanks for looking

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by kermit on Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:45 PM

Coming along nicely there DirkpittThumbs Up [tup]. Kits like these are GREAT for trying out new things and techniques like you are doing now. If it ruins the model: just $7....if it looks great: hey look what ive done to this cheap*ss kitBig Smile [:D]. You just cant loose.

Would suggest you could go over that wash with a dark wash (dark umber/black that you thin down to tea consistency)or powder to tone down the contrast a bit. Imho i think, just my fifty cents, dont shoot meSmile [:)]

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Friday, September 25, 2009 6:58 AM
 kermit wrote:

Coming along nicely there DirkpittThumbs Up [tup]. Kits like these are GREAT for trying out new things and techniques like you are doing now. If it ruins the model: just $7....if it looks great: hey look what ive done to this cheap*ss kitBig Smile [:D]. You just cant loose.

Would suggest you could go over that wash with a dark wash (dark umber/black that you thin down to tea consistency)or powder to tone down the contrast a bit. Imho i think, just my fifty cents, dont shoot meSmile [:)]

Richard

Thanks Rich

This is my first attempt at a wash and weathering. I have more to do once this cures. It should look better once its all blended together.  No need for violence. Wink [;)]

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:59 PM

I know it's been awhile but like with most of us time is tight these days. Well we are heading into the final stretch for this build.

As I was looking over this "El-Cheap-O" Testors POS, I found that one thing (One of many) I couldn't stand was the lack of detail in the wheel wells. After seeing another 1/72 F4 Build I I knew I could dress it up just a bit to make it not so... *Caca*

Using some 0.8mm styrene square stock I cut out some ribs and bent them to the approximate angle of the wheel well.

After I put the ribs into place using tweesers (My years of playing operation paid off) I re-applied the zinc Chromate paint

Next the wash

The next step was to finish the weathering of our bird. For this I broke out the oil paints and used an old CD case as my palette.

After a few minutes my Corsair looked like a flock of Skittle eating birds few over and used it for target practice.

Next I took a clean flat brush, and dipped it in some thinner, and started to blend the paint.

Next using more thinners and a clean cloth I removed the excess paint till the desired affect was achieved. The good thing about oil paints is it drys slow so if you don't like what you see you can wash it all off and start over.

If you look at this next picture you will notice that the inside of the wings are more worn then the outside.

On this one you will see that the inside of the wings are less worn then the out side. This would be common for aircraft parked in the elements with the wings folded.

Next I applied all the odds and ends like the landing gear, wheels, rockets and so forth. The last thing that needs to be added is the radio wire. That will have to wait till the glue on the areal dries sufficiently.

I will try to retake pictures in some natural light in the morning.

Thanks for looking

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by Daywalker on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:18 PM

Sharp looking Corsair there Dirk! Big Smile [:D]

One little thing- the dark blue Corsairs had the gear bays painted the same color as the exterior.  Otherwise, very nice!  Like the weathering effects. Thumbs Up [tup]

Frank 

Posted by Gigatron on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:38 PM

Great looking bird, Dirk.  I did a Bunker Hill Corsair, myself, a few months ago.

-Fred

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:59 AM

Nicely done Dirk Thumbs Up [tup].  Your extra effort made the old kit look great built up.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by squeakie on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:30 AM

always was told the P38 was the first U.S. fighter to go faster than 400mph, and it was followed by the P51

gary

Posted by bsyamato on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:33 AM
great weathering Thumbs Up [tup]
Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words

Daywalker wrote:
Sharp looking Corsair there Dirk! Big Smile [:D]

One little thing- the dark blue Corsairs had the gear bays painted the same color as the exterior.  Otherwise, very nice!  Like the weathering effects. Thumbs Up [tup]

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda glad I didn't know that because if I had I would have done it the correct way. I happen to like the way the Zinc Chromate offsets the Dark Sea Blue color. Not that anyone would ever know looking at it sitting on the shelf.

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by Bossman on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:21 AM

Dirk,

Nice job on the basic kit.  Nice weathering.  I had a similar initial disappointment with the Testors 1/72 Dauntless kit when I was getting back into the hobby a few years back - I think that kit has even less detail than the Corsair - but - they are what they are and you just gotta make the best of 'em.  

I can recommend the Academy 1/72 Corsair - that one is nicely detailed - and not too much more expensive.

Chris

Posted by carsanab on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:11 PM

Good Job there Dirk...you really brought out the best in "El Cheap-o"...oh and OOB...I knew it was too tough to resist...even the if its just the wheel well spars..a couple of pieces of plastic...mark of a true modeler....

Great lookng bird!!Thumbs Up [tup]

Carlos

Photobucket

Posted by Dirkpitt289 on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:27 PM
 Bossman wrote:

Dirk,

Nice job on the basic kit.  Nice weathering.  I had a similar initial disappointment with the Testors 1/72 Dauntless kit when I was getting back into the hobby a few years back - I think that kit has even less detail than the Corsair - but - they are what they are and you just gotta make the best of 'em.  

I can recommend the Academy 1/72 Corsair - that one is nicely detailed - and not too much more expensive.

Chris

The Corsair was fantastic compared to the Testors SBD Dauntless. I will keep the Academy kit in mind for the future. I like the corsair a lot but there are other projects to be done first.

Dirk

On The Bench:

B-17F "Old 666" [1/72]

Posted by Luftwoller on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:23 PM

Great job Dirk. Really love the wethering effects you got. Well done.

...Guy

..'Your an embarrassment to the human genus, makes me ashamed to call myself Homo'.
  • From: State of Mississippi. State motto: Virtute et armis (By valor and arms)
Posted by mississippivol on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:21 PM

Great job, Dirk! I got that same kit, and ended up using the Pappy Boyington decals on a Tamiya Corsair instead. I didn't have the nerve to build it. Yours looks great!

Glenn

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.