SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Variable Geometry: the Swing Wing GB

1140 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Variable Geometry: the Swing Wing GB
Posted by pordoi on Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:41 AM

I was really impressed with the flyovers of a Rockwell B-1B at the recent Thunder over Louisville Airshow, which were carried out both with wings extended and swept. So much that I just ordered the Revell B-1B 1/48 along with some aftermarket goodies to spruce it up.  Now I gotta clean off the work bench to accommodate this monster. 

I also did some quick searches on the development of variable geometry aircraft and it seems that the precursor to variable wing geometry was a Messerschmidt, the P-1101, which was discovered by Allied forces at the Oberammergau complex 65 years ago on April 29, 1945. Never completed and tested as far as I know, and not a true active variable geometry design, it started a developmental process that led to the Bell X-5 and ultimately to the more familiar aircraft like the F-14, Mig-23 and the B-1.

Since I’ve got the B-1B coming and that it's reported to be a real bear of a kit, I thought that I’d find some company during the build and organize a Swing Wing Group Build.  There seems to be a good number of kits available in various scales, and of various types of aircraft, so there's no shortage of interesting topics.  For example, possible subjects and kit manufacturers are listed below and there may be more that I've not included:

Messerschmidt P-1101 - Dragon 1/72

Bell X-5 - Revell 1/40(?), Mach 1/72

F-111 - various manufacturers and scales available

B-1 - Revell, Dragon in various scales

F-14 - numerous choices including the new Trumpeter kit

Tupelev Tu-22M - Esci, Italeri 1/72

MiG-23 - various kits and scales available

MiG-27  -  various kits and scales available

Su-17 - Kopro 1/48; Italeri 1/72

Su-22  -  Kopro 1/48, Italeri 1/72

Su-24 - various kits and scales available

Panavia Tornado - Revell, Italeri, AirFix in various scales

Dassault Mirage G  -  not sure if available in scale?

Tupelev Tu-160 - Trumpeter, Italeri, Zvezda 1/144 and 1/72

Rules of the GB:

1) any variable geometry aircraft is eligible, any scale; OOB or as much aftermarket/scratch build as you like

2) GB will start June 1, 2010 and end on April 29, 2011, the 66th anniversary of the discovery of the Messerschmidt P-1101, the swing wing prototype.

3) WIP photos are a must.  I also encourage participants to do some research into their selected aircraft and to pass interesting info along to the group.  We can all learn something new.

4)  most importantly:  have fun

5)  The GB Badge that can be downloaded after competion of a build is below.  Please grab a copy and host it on your personal photo page.  Thanks.

As of Monday Nov. 22, the participants and their chosen kits are as follows: 

Bish  -  Dragon Messerschmidt P-1101 1/72;  Hasegawa 1/72 MiG-23

Wingman_KZ  -  Revell Germany 1/72 Tornado in lizard camo (completed); and possibly other Tornados as well

morefirejules08  -  Hobbyboss 1/48 F-111D/E built as a F-111F

medicman71  -  1/48 Revel F-14A Tomcat with VF-1 Wolfpack High-Vis markings

Aggieman  -  DML 1/144 Panavia Tornado (completed); Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer (completed)

Konigwolf13  -  HobbyBoss 1/48 F-111C Pig, Aussie AF

Vetteman42  -  Revell F-14A 1/48 (modeled after the Tomcat from VF-41 on the USS Nimitz that is now on display at the Ronald Reagan Library)  (completed)

the real thing:

the model:

Pordoi  -  Revell B-1B Lancer 1/48  (completed)

STFD637  -  AMT EF-111 Raven 1/72  (completed)

macattack80  -  Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer  (completed) and 1/48 Revell F-14D in VX-9 markings

raptordriver  -  Revell F-14A 1/48  (completed)

eatthis  -   Revell F-14 Tomcat 1/48 (completed)

Italeri 1/48 Tornado (completed)

Revell 1/48 B-1B

grimmo  -  Hobby Boss 1/48 RAAF F-111C Pig in tricolor camo

oddmanrush  -  Italeri 1/72 Tornado IDS Black Panther

harshman II  -  Academy 1/72 MiG-27 Flogger (completed... in 2 days)

Flyhigh  -  Revell 1/48 F-14D

If anyone else is interested, please respond to this post and I'll add you to the list. 

Have fun everyone; look forward to seeing things start in a couple of weeks.

Don

Posted by Bish on Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:49 AM

Yes, i am in, but i won't start until late in the build, probably next Feb, but sooner if i can. It will be the 1/72nd Dragon P.1101.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by morefirejules08 on Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:04 PM

sign me up for a hobbyboss 1/48 F-11D/E build up as an F, build will prob start in the winter when i actually have some building time 

cheers, chris

Posted by Bish on Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:11 PM

I woundered if you would get in on this, seeing as you seem to like the vark. By any chnace, will yours be a Lakenheath bird.  If you are in i have to build mine. Two guys from Suffolk in the same GB, thats got to be a first for this forum.

Posted by pordoi on Saturday, May 1, 2010 3:03 PM

OK.  Welcome aboard Bish and morefirejules.  Will update the build list and I look forward to seeing your builds.  So we've got two Suffolk guys so far, eh? 

Don

Posted by morefirejules08 on Saturday, May 1, 2010 3:53 PM

bish how did you guess it will be a lakenheath bird? think i'll do a Libya raid bird, but i have a stalled lakenheath phantom to finish first!

and i recon your right, this must be the first time two suffolk boys have been on a group build together!

cheers, chris

Posted by Medicman71 on Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:05 PM

Ok i'm in. I'll be doing a Revel F-14A Tomcat with VF-1 Wolfpack High-Vis markings.

Building- (All 1/48) F-14A Tomcat, F-16C Blk 30, He 129

Posted by Bish on Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:32 PM

morefirejules08

bish how did you guess it will be a lakenheath bird? think i'll do a Libya raid bird, but i have a stalled lakenheath phantom to finish first!

and i recon your right, this must be the first time two suffolk boys have been on a group build together!

cheers, chris

O, it was just a wild stab in the dark.

I checked my Dragon kits and the wings are fixed, so i might have to do a bit of cutting to vary the sweep. So give me somthing to look into while i am away. I was thinking that if the wings were not connected and adjusted one at a time, i could do the two wings at different angles.

Now, a question. Is the wing angle measured from the front or back of the wing.

Posted by pordoi on Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:51 PM

OK Medicman!!  Welcome to Swing Wings.  Good to have you join in with a TomCat.

Don

Posted by Aggieman on Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:31 PM

The timing works well for me as I expect to be done with all of my current group builds.  I'm tentatively in with a DML Tornado GR.1 in 1/144 but will be on the lookout for another swing-winger (not a Tomcat, however).

Posted by pordoi on Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:23 PM

Aggieman

The timing works well for me as I expect to be done with all of my current group builds.  I'm tentatively in with a DML Tornado GR.1 in 1/144 but will be on the lookout for another swing-winger (not a Tomcat, however).

A pleasure to have you join the GB Aggieman.  I'll update the initial post with your DML 1/144 Tornado.  Also, it's good to see that you're interested in even another swing wing.  Maybe a Russian aircraft?  No takers on those yet.  The more swing wings, the better!

Don

Posted by Wingman_kz on Sunday, May 2, 2010 4:19 AM

Sounds good to me Don. I'm in and will start with a 1/72 RoG Tornado, not sure which one yet but will let you know before I start. I have the 50th Anniversary version that I'm trying to figure out the paints for and the RAF version with plans for a couple others.

Tony

Posted by pordoi on Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:56 AM

Nice to have you join us, Tony.  I will update the master list with your RoG Tornado.

Don

Posted by pordoi on Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:21 AM

Bish

Now, a question. Is the wing angle measured from the front or back of the wing.

Bish,

The detailed answer is:

The angle of sweep which characterizes a swept wing is conventionally measured along the 25% chord line. If the 25% chord line varies in sweep angle, the leading edge is used; if that varies, the sweep is expressed in sections (e.g., 25 degrees from 0 to 50% span, 15 degrees from 50% to wingtip).

The easy way is to draw a line perpendicular to the axis of the fuselage, then another along the leading edge of the wing.  The angle formed between the two lines is the wing sweep.

Don

Posted by Bish on Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:05 AM

Ok, thanks. I am not sure how the wing was moved on the 1101, and on the kit and in the pics i have found there is no apparent recess for the wing to sweep back into. I will measure the angles on the kit as i am guessing they are set at the swept back position.

Don't put me down on the list yet, but i also have a 1/72nd hasagawa MiG 23 in the pipeline to build. If my 1101 is done in time i will then move onto the MiG.

Posted by pordoi on Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:09 PM

Bish

I am not sure how the wing was moved on the 1101, and on the kit and in the pics i have found there is no apparent recess for the wing to sweep back into. I will measure the angles on the kit as i am guessing they are set at the swept back position.

Have a look here:

http://www.antaresmodels.com/verReview.asp?id_review=1268608184

Wings were apparently mounted via a hinge that allowed sweep of 30, 40 and 45 degrees. 

Don

Posted by Bish on Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:32 PM

Thanks Don, i have added that to the other sites to check out. hen the main gear doors are open, you can see the engine. I am guessing that this also allowed access to the mechanisim that locked the wings in place. This is the assumption i will base my Dio on. I just need to figure out how i hold the wing that i adjust in position once i cut away the part of the fuselage it should be glued to.  Somthing for me to think about over the next few months.

Posted by STFD637 on Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:38 PM

Please count me in. I will be building the AMT EF-111 Raven in 1/72 scale. I just built the F-111 for the bomber stash GB and can't wait to dig in to the EF!

Travis/STFD637

"If a lie is told often, and long enough, it becomes reality!"

Travis/STFD637

make an avatar

Posted by pordoi on Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:58 PM

Welcome aboard, Travis.  Glad to have you join us. 

Don

Posted by Aggieman on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:31 PM

Don,

I looked for some additional kits but couldn't find my target, a F-111 Aardvark, in 48 scale that fit my price range (ie, the Hobby Boss kit was more than I wanted to spend), so of course I went and spent almost as much on the 48 scale Revell B-1B, so please add that beast to my entry.

Posted by macattack80 on Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:54 AM

You can sign me up for a Revell B-1b in 1/48 scale with ya!  I got an older kit that I have been itching to build since it takes up so much space and the box is pretty beat up.  It will be an out of box build for me.  THis will be my first group build.   I hope to learn something.  I am sure it will be a good time. 

If by some grace of god I finish it early I will try and get a Hasegawa F-14 in there too.  I gotta finish up a project of 2 cars then I will have a clear slate.

Kevin

[

Posted by pordoi on Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:42 AM

Great to have you join us macattack and aggieman.   I will update the list with a pair of Revell B-1Bs in 1/48.  Looks like we are going to have a squadron of Bones in this build.  For a little light reading and maybe some inspiration for us Bone builders, have a look here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=4079

Aggieman, is the B-1B in addition to the 1/144 Tornado of instead of?

macattack -  Your first GB; great!  I have participated in several Group builds and they're always fun.  This is my first attempt at hosting one, so we'll see how that goes.  With three of us so far working on B-1Bs, I'm sure that there will be lots of opportunity to learn from others.  And with the build issues that I've read about with the Revell kit,  we may all need some help. 

Don

Posted by Aggieman on Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:29 PM

Don, at this point it is in addition to but I'll let you know if I decide to drop the Tornado.  The box the B-1B comes in is pretty big, so I'm thinking that storing that kit for any length of time prior to building it will be difficult, whereas the Tornado takes so little space that I'm not sweating that one.  My next biggest concern is where am I going to display this B-1B?

Posted by macattack80 on Friday, May 7, 2010 12:17 AM

Thanks for posting the link to the ARC.  That is a fantastic site.  It's nice to know that there are more people out there crazy enough to build this beast.  WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!!

I plan I doing the 3 color camo scheme instead of the overall gunship gray if that matters at all.

Kevin

[

Posted by pordoi on Monday, May 10, 2010 2:21 PM

Where ya getting the decals for the early Bone?  I was planning to do an early 3 color also but my kit only has decals for later Bones.  The FoxOne early Bone decal set seems to be very difficult to find.  In the end, I went with TwoBobs and will have to use resin parts for payload or close up the bomb bays.

Don

Posted by macattack80 on Monday, May 10, 2010 7:29 PM

I was hoping I could get my paws on some by the time I reached that point in the build.  I know they are hard to get ahold of.   If I find some I will let you know.

Kevin

[

Posted by Aggieman on Monday, May 10, 2010 10:10 PM

That's funny, I was looking at the same kind of things tonight.  I found some decals by TwoBobs but some of the pictures I saw of some Bones done up in desert camo have me intrigued.  We've all seen the gunship gray Bones but the camo Bone is somewhat more rare.  Is that an older paint scheme, say Operation Desert Storm era?

I was actually thinking about making some fictitious nose art dedicated to my wife, who only knows that the kit came via UPS today but not how much it cost.  Not sure what I'll do yet.

Posted by macattack80 on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:04 AM

Desert Camo would be pretty slick.   The kit i have is from like 1998.  Not many decals included.  I dont want to spent too much on aftermarket stuff.   I may just use what I got how I want to use it.  I dont care if its not 100% accurate I guess. Surprise  I usually try but it might not be possible with what I have to work with.

Kevin

[

Posted by morefirejules08 on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:42 AM

how about theses for an early bone? http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/b1bdecalreviewsjk_1.htm not sure if there still available or not though.

look at the bottom of the page and it says there were plans for 1/48 decals too

edit: just found the 1/48 here http://flightdecs.ca/A_foxone_48.htm

cheers, chris

Posted by pordoi on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:00 AM

Aggieman

....  I found some decals by TwoBobs but some of the pictures I saw of some Bones done up in desert camo have me intrigued.  We've all seen the gunship gray Bones but the camo Bone is somewhat more rare.  Is that an older paint scheme, say Operation Desert Storm era?

I was actually thinking about making some fictitious nose art dedicated to my wife, who only knows that the kit came via UPS today but not how much it cost.  Not sure what I'll do yet.

The desert camo (olive drab and 2 shades of brown) differs from the SAC 3 color scheme (olive drab/dark gray/gunship gray).  The aircraft that was painted in the desert camo was one of the original prototypes, a B-1A plane number 76-0174 (there's an image at the site listed below).  There are differences between the B-1A and -1B so to be accurate, you'd have some modifications to do.  Most notable, the different rear radome and what looks to be an elongated spine along the top of the fuselage.  But if you're thinking about fictitous nose art, there is no reason why you can't do a desert camo on a B-1B.  Gotta admit, it looks like a cool scheme.  BTW, the B-1 did not participate in Desert Storm.  Here's a great site to browse through for ideas. 

http://www.targetlock.org.uk/b-1/index.html

Just look at the B-1B navigation drop down menu.

Don

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.