SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

The Flying Prostitute- Monogram B-26 Marauder WIP

64 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
The Flying Prostitute- Monogram B-26 Marauder WIP
Posted by Hans von Hammer on Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:46 AM

" Baltimore Whore", "Widowmaker", "Flying Prostitute" (No visible means of support), she was called many things, but she was a killer, fast & deadly, and her crews (generally) loved her in combat...

I hit a point where I'm stopped on my dual P-47 (Before & After) build and am gonna shelve it for a bit...  I decided to pull the old gal outta the hangar and get her started...  I picked this bird up on Ebay about a year ago, along with a later release of the same kit... But since I've been up close & personal to her (at least, her forward fuselage) "Flak Bait" will "fly" again... At least, I THINK it'll be "Flak Bait", at least right now... The only thing for sure is that it'll be OD/Grey, lol.

The other one is slated to be in a dio inspired by Shep Paine's "B-26 Assembly Line" diorama, and is farther down the road...

I haven't built this kit since the first release in the 70's and opening it was a blast from the past, although the Diorama Tip sheet wasn't in it... Grrrr...

Posted by p38jl on Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:26 AM

Love that plane.. I built it as a kid..

got 1 or 2 in my stash.. somewhere...!

[Photobucket]

Posted by the Baron on Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:35 AM

This will be fun to follow, Hammer.  Though, it's tinged with a little disappointment-I was hoping you might try bashing it back to a B-26 from the early blocks, before the wings were lengthened and the rudder enlarged.  I have one that I'll be modifying like that, for my Battle of Midway collection, and I'd like to see someone else do it first.

"You jump in!"  "No, you jump in first!"  "I'm not gonna go first!"

Seriously, it is a great kit and I'm looking forward to seeing your build in progress!

The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Posted by telsono on Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:13 PM

You forgot the training school in Florida "One a day in Tampa Bay". That was before Jimmy Doolittle came down to investigate the complaints about the aircraft. At that time Doolittle had not flown a B-26. He requested a plane to be brought out for his testing with a co-pilot from the training squadron. The whole baase was lined up along the runway. After getting familiar with the instruments he took it off, reached 500 ft, shut off one engine and rolled the aircraft, came back around and landed the aircraft. His comment on landing was that he found no problem with the aircraft. Besides being a "pilot's pilot" he was an engineer, I believe his first degree was as a mining engineer from UC Berkeley, then he was loaned to NACA (NASA's predecessor) during the 1930's and was in the intitial group to receive a PhD in aeronautical engineering from MIT. He knew planes inside and out.

Flak Bait's nose section is displayed at the Smithsonian. It was the bomber that had the most missions flown. B-26's seemed to dominate that list. LBJ's silver star (probably a political award) was given while he served with a B-26 unit in the Pacific.

Mike T.

Beware the hobby that eats.  - Ben Franklin

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out. - Ben Franklin

The U.S. Constitution  doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Ben Franklin

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:20 PM

Good luck with the build Hans.  Keep us posted as you progress.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:31 PM

Nice to see the box-art is still in good shape...

Posted by Gamera on Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:09 PM

Cool, I picked up one at a show about a month ago. The box looked in about the same shape but was still wrapped in the original cellophane.

If the decals are unusable or you want something different I picked up these from Zotz:

http://www.zotzdecals.com/reviews/zotz48014/zotz48014.htm

They're out-of-stock at Zotz but Flightdecs Canada still has them.

www.flightdecs.ca

Looking forward to seeing how she comes out, I haven't built an old Monogram kit since the '80s and if I didn't have so much stuff on the work-bench would start on mine.

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:54 PM

The box looked in about the same shape but was still wrapped in the original cellophane.

If the decals are unusable or you want something different I picked up these from Zotz:

Yeah, this one was a bit rough, there's a several broken parts, but all are at least present... The decals are old and a bit yellowed, but the US insignia and the "Flak-Bait" art is still quite useable, and I have tons of code letters and numbers from Archer...  If I don't do "Flak-Bait" though, I got a bunch Varga-girl decals for "my" B-26, which is what I usually do, making up serial numbers and names to help keep the rivet-counters at bay... Don't want them to vapor-lock if I put an extra gun on "42-18894, which is incorrect for your time-period as she was never equipped with that gun until after June of '44"... Thanks for the links though..

Though, it's tinged with a little disappointment-I was hoping you might try bashing it back to a B-26 from the early blocks, before the wings were lengthened and the rudder enlarged.  I have one that I'll be modifying like that, for my Battle of Midway collection, and I'd like to see someone else do it first.

Like I said, it's been aboutt 35 years since I buit the last one...  As for back-dating it- Thought about it, laughed about it, forgot about it... There's a few more on Ebay so I reckon that'll mean at least one more '26 in my hangar down the road... I'll happily follow your lead though, lol...

You forgot the training school in Florida "One a day in Tampa Bay".

Good one... I did forget that, yup.. But then, that wsan't really a name either...

You might find this article about MacDill of interest..

http://www.323bg454bs.org/Assets/PdfFiles/Thunderbolt%20080303.pdf

Flak Bait's nose section is displayed at the Smithsonian.

Yupper, that's where I got "up close & personal" to it...

Nice to see the box-art is still in good shape...

Heh... Yeah... Although I never considered that period of Monogram (and Revell) boxes to have any "art" on them..  I actually wrote Monogram about that switch back in the day and they even replied, a big deal to a 16-year old... It went something like, "Our marketing research has shown that people are more likely to buy a kit if they can see what the assembled model looks like" or some such nonsense... At any rate, it wasn't long before that particular type of "art" went the way of the dodo...  So much for research...

Here's the Shep Paine B-26 dio, BTW..

Posted by Jeeves on Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:38 PM

Sounds cool-- I did mine as Miss Manchester a while back....always like the nose art :)

Mike
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:55 PM

I actually think the cockpit detail in this kit is pretty good, even by today's standards...

Posted by Gamera on Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:02 PM

Looking forward to seeing the WIP!

Varga gals HeartKissHeart

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:35 PM

Manstein's revenge

I actually think the cockpit detail in this kit is pretty good, even by today's standards...

The flight deck's pretty good, but the side panels are begging for more... Dunno if they were all that "busy" on the real aircraft, but they're gonna be on this one... The nose needs a bit more as well, although most will disappear when the cone goes on.. So I'm leaving it stock except for a little more wirning around the Norden..

Posted by bondoman on Friday, April 16, 2010 12:45 AM

An old boss and friend of mine, John Merrill, from his DFC Citation;

First Lieutenant John O. Merrill distinguished himself by heroism while participating in aerial flight as B-26 Pilot, 387th Bomb Group, 9th Air Force, Mayen, Germany, on 24 February 1945. On that date, while flying the lead formation with three aircraft at an altitude of approximately 9,000 feet, his plane sustained a direct enemy antiaircraft hit. The right engine and wing caught fire, crippling his aircraft Undaunted by the impending crash or explosion and the burning and badly crippled state of his plane, Lieutenant Merrill retained his composure and continued to operate the remaining controls of his plane with such skill and efficiency that he succeeded in holding the aircraft on a level keel. Although rapidly losing speed and altitude, he completed the bomb run, ensuring his bombs were released on target He then gave orders to his crew members to bail out. He continued to control the position of the aircraft in order to permit crew members to save their own lives, with total disregard for his own safety. The outstanding heroism and selfless devotion to duty displayed by Lieutenant Merrill reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army Air Corps.

He had some detail I can't remember where he had to lower the nose gear to get out. He spent the rest of the war in prison.

Posted by Dr. Faust on Friday, April 16, 2010 12:46 AM

Put some lead in  the nose too, shes a tail sitter.

Just build it (and post pics when youre done)

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, April 16, 2010 7:02 AM

Dr. Faust

Put some lead in  the nose too, shes a tail sitter.

Ain't m' first rodeo, Doc... I think I've built about TWO trike-geared aircraft that weren't tail-sitters and they were jets (can't remember which ones though, I haven't built any post- Korean War jets since the 70's)...          

The only place to get any weight into the fuselage is in the radio/navigator's compartment and I have mixed feelings about that.. I WANT to scratch-build the compartment. I watched a 5-part USAAF video, "Flying the B-26 Airplane" last night on YouTube, and got a lot of screen-shots...  BUT- it'll be 99% invisible if I do, unless I open the curtain between the flight-deck and that area and even then it'll be hard to see anything...  I can use the nacelles for weights if I decide build it.. 

The other area that can get a lot scratch-building attention is just forward of the tail-gunner's compartment where the APU (AKA "the Putt-Putt", according to the video) is located, which means opening the hatch there... The tunnelgunner's compartment is rather sparse as well.. It's not noticeable with the guns stowed and windows closed, but since the guns are rather nice (for stock .50's),  I'll probably need to have them opened as well, even though she'd be closed up back there when it's sitting/parked..  

A note about YouTube video... I tell ya, men... Those USAAF training films are invaluable for research into your aircraft's history and for answering questions like "Flaps up or down??","What color are the fire extinguishers?" (They're a copper or brass color, BTW), and the like...  Just make sure that you do little more research to verify some things.. I watched one other called "Tailgunner" or something like that, starring 1LT Ronald Regan and 2LT Burgess Meredith (who played a Corporal named "Willy" from Kansas who's experience shooting crows lead him to become a tailgunner), a short film about becoming a USAAF Aerial Gunner, and it had some real "Hollyweird" sound-stage stuff, like shots of the top turret gunner in a "B-24" who was actually sitting in a B-10 or B-18 turret engaging T-6 "Zeros"...

Aside from showing the actual range-fire training, it was next to useless for research, except for showing skeet-shooting as training, technical terms and such for aerial gunners, e.i., "At 200 yards and 180 mph how much lead is needed here ?" --"One-quarter-inch from my outside ring, sir." and, "What's your sight-base, Corporal?" ---"The distance from my eyes to the rear sight, about eight inches, sir."

Posted by SuppressionFire on Friday, April 16, 2010 7:21 AM

Ain't m' first rodeo, Doc..

Cowboy Yippy ci eh!

Thats what I am talkin' about! Cowboy up n' git R' done! Hans likes both kinds of music...

Country & western!Headphones

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by the Baron on Friday, April 16, 2010 11:57 AM

Hans von Hammer

Heh... Yeah... Although I never considered that period of Monogram (and Revell) boxes to have any "art" on them..  I actually wrote Monogram about that switch back in the day and they even replied, a big deal to a 16-year old... It went something like, "Our marketing research has shown that people are more likely to buy a kit if they can see what the assembled model looks like" or some such nonsense... At any rate, it wasn't long before that particular type of "art" went the way of the dodo...  So much for research...

I read about that in Thomas Graham's book on Monogram.  That was apparently the Revell marketing people's decision, after the companies merged.  Revell felt it was better to show a picture of the finished model, and they had already changed over from paintings of the subject to photos of the models, for their own lines.  That was a shame.

I like your story about writing to them.  I had the same experience with writing to Monogram when I was a kid, regarding their armor kits.  I wrote (well, typed the letter, my first one ever) and suggested that they add sets of figures to go with the 1/32 armor, and add more German scout cars (this was before I ever heard of Tamiya).  I got a typed response thanking me for my suggestion.  I was thrilled!

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, April 16, 2010 1:12 PM

Truthfully, I don't remember which did that first,  butI thought it EXREMELY bad on Revell's part... Their 1/32 scale kits had some of the finest box art ever, IMNSHO...  Come to think of it, their 1/72 stuff wasn't bad either... The Lancaster, Ploesti B-24D, PBY,  & "Memphis Belle" are four that still stick in my mind...  Gonna have to look for that Monogram book you mentioned..

I wrote Revell once too... This was back in the early 80's though, and I'd just purchased their 1/32 F-104 and it was missing the entire clear sprue...  I wrote a polite but-to-the-point letter to them and  not only did  get the parts requested, I got a catalog and a coupon good for any kit in that catalog... IIRC, I got the 1/32 FW-190D with it...

Hans likes both kinds of music...

Country & western!Headphones

Heh... I'm into metal too... Classic case of my long hair not coverin' my red neck...  I'd throw-down with equal enthusiasm if'n someone insults Ozzy OR  Gretchen Wilson in half a heartbeat, lol...

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, April 16, 2010 1:27 PM

bondoman

An old boss and friend of mine, John Merrill... He had some detail I can't remember where he had to lower the nose gear to get out. He spent the rest of the war in prison....

Thanks for posting that, Bondoman... I know a Merrill family that's around here... Their yougest son, Jim, was an AF Sergeant that mentioned that he had some relative (this conversation was a long time ago) in the Marauder... Wonder if'n that's the same guy... Gonna give him a buzz and see if we got a "6th degree of Separation" here...

Posted by bondoman on Friday, April 16, 2010 3:22 PM

You're welcome. He's a retired architect living in Tiburon, CA. Like my father-in-law, we face the day where he'll be making that final flight home.

I wrote to Revell once, claiming my 1/32 Mosquito came without (a non-continuous series of parts #'s that would, um, make up a second Merlin). Bless their hearts, they sent me the whole sprue. Probably to get rid of me.

As for tail sitters, I'm all for tail props (ladders are handy). Usually doesn't take much.

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, April 16, 2010 4:38 PM

I decided to scratch-build the radio compartment and add an exposed engine (One for now... I cast a few copies of the P & W R-2600 from the Black Widow kit a few months ago to keep on-hand for this build and a couple others that are in the pipeline.)... Glad I have two of these kits, because I gotta rob the fuselage halves from the other in order to add the ribs & stringers.  I'd already shot the inside of the first set with ZC Green, so I don't wanna strip it to add the strips

SOOooo, tail-sitting solutions...  For this one, since it's invariably going on a diorama hardstand similar to the box "art", I've decided forego weights and do the usual; Trap a small sheet metal screw in the nosewheel and drill down through the base to secure it with a nut, then again with one of the mains...  I'll get some pictures posted later tonight...

Posted by the Baron on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:36 PM

I was just re-reading Graham's Monogram book, and I have to offer a slight correction to what I wrote in the earlier post.  I misremembered about the box art, it was before Monogram and Revell merged, but it was the result of an earlier merger.  Monogram was part of Mattel Toys at the time, and in '72, the marketing wizards at Mattel directed Monogram to replace the excellent box art they had used till that time, with pictures of completed models.  The reason given was that it would bring them in line with Mattel's practice, since they used pictures of their toys on their boxes.

I can't say which I prefer, though the paintings Monogram used, and Revell used, were pretty cool.

Posted by bondoman on Friday, April 23, 2010 1:46 PM

Posted by Melgyver on Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:24 PM

Here are a few shots of my old Monogram "Flak Bait" built back in 1981.  I bulit her "early" in her career with only about 18 missions so I didn't have to excessively weather the beast!  I put lead in the nose wheel, inside the ammo box in the nose and behind the instrument panel.  Also has electric motors in the cowls so that helped a lot too. 

Clear Left!

Mel

Posted by Dan A on Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:15 PM

Only one "Martin Murderer" is still airworthy. A shame.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this build.

In progress: Hasegawa P-51D/K (being built as a D), Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper 1275S, Testors Kaman H-43B Huskie (held up by lack of parts)

To be resumed sooner or later: Academy M151A2 with Eduard photo-etch

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Monday, April 26, 2010 8:51 AM

Outstanding pictures...

Ok... Been a little remiss in documenting this build, so here's some updates...

First, I added styrene strip to the interior, using the exterior panel lines as a guide... I think I need a few more here & there, but it looks good so far and I probably won't add any more since the visibility here after assembly is going to be EXTREMELY limited..

The main concern is going to be that I need to make sure that the bombbay roof is completed since there was no detail at all above the wing root area..

Here on the flight deck, a few mods were made as well... I brush-painted the bulkhead and floor with my own mix of interior green, then added chipping, scuffing and scratches.  (The brush marks on the rear bulkhead are no longer there, BTW. The paint mix was extremely thin in order to get it super-flat and it needed three coats..)  The silver tank is either a heater element or hydraulic resivior, I'm not sure which, and the fire extinguisher is painted copper... During WW2,  portable extinguishers weren't red, that was an early 1960s change... The kit's pilot-yoke was cut off and new, half-round one fabricated from sprue to match the cockpit photos from "Flak Bait". 

The panel got a piece of sheet styrene with engine gauges added in the center/right area, as well as a switch-panel located in the area between the panel and the throttle quadrant.  I painted the panel flat white, then used a Sharpie to paint it black, then made a few swipes with sanding film to take the black off the relief... The "Six-pack" engine gauges were left black, then I scratched in some tick-marks with a needle in a pin-vise.

After I removed the curtain from the flight-deck bulkhead, the Radio/Navigator compartment got a scratch-built radio rack made from .020 strip and sheet styrene, and I'm curently doing the navigator's table from basswood and a pair of seats from strip styrene.  The floor is sheet styrene, cut from a styrene "No Parking" sign (my usual source of sheet)...  I don't have pictures of the "Flak-Bait" radio compartment, but I'm gonna make a SWAG and build the seats connected to the fuselage side rather than the floor, due to the Marauder's circular cross-section...  I seem to recall this from my "tour" of the CAF's B-26 "Carolynn", although it was about 15 yeas ago that I was in it, and it was lost in a fatal crash that same year and I didn't take any pictures of her interior... I also failed to do the same thing when I looked at the real "Flak-Bait" fuselage at the NASM many moons ago...

Anyway, that's where I'm at so far... Thanks fer lookin'...

Posted by the Baron on Monday, April 26, 2010 11:30 AM

Nice progress, Hammer!

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:24 PM

Done some more on the radio/nav compartment... I think it's about ready for paint.  I also opened the hatch between the compartment and the bombbay and added a sheet styrene hatch.

The radio fronts are strip with a depression added via 1/8 inch drill-bit and a couple of sliced rod knobs.  The Navigator's panel is part of a B-24 PE instrument panel on a piece of strip, the table is styrene strip and some sprue pencils and compass... The radio op's table has a scrap piece for a transmitter key and a strip logbook.  The radio op's seat is sheet styrene embelished with some strip and Sculpy seat cushions, while the Nav's seat is cut down and sanded from a Monogram AH-64 Apache.

The forward bombbay bulkhead w/ new hatch:

Posted by Aggieman on Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:29 AM

I can't say which I prefer, though the paintings Monogram used, and Revell used, were pretty cool.

My preference was always in the paintings.  I've been buying a bunch of those old kits lately via eBay for this very reason.  Last year I was able to get the old Revell P-40E that I always thought had about the best box art I've ever seen.

Posted by B17Pilot on Thursday, May 6, 2010 9:09 AM

Looking good Hans!!  Now the problem is I have to go get a B-26 now.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.