SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Sotar History

110 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Sotar History
Posted by Don Wheeler on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:24 PM

I was curious about the Badger Sotar 2020.  It looks so different from other Badger models that I suspected it might have been a purchased design rather than being done in-house.  So I e-mailed Ken Schlotfeldt.  Ken answered my questions and said I could share the information.  So I will.

The Sotar was completely designed by Badger.  It incorporates two Badger patents; the easy-access needle removal and the drop-in micro tip.  The patents were issued in 1995.  It was created to compete with the Iwata Micron.  When it was introduced in 1996, it was sold as a product of the Sotar Airbrush Company.  Badger hid their ownership because they thought people might not try it due to the fact that many considered Badger a maker of  "hobby" airbrushes.  They wanted it to be similar to the relationship of Acura to Honda.  They have since decided to market it as a Badger product, which it is.

The drop-in tip is now used in the Renegade series of airbrushes.

Has anyone here used one?  If so, what did you think of it?

Don

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

A collection of airbrush tips and reviews

Also an Amazon E-book and paperback of tips.

Posted by keilau on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:39 PM

In an earlier post, some one also quoted Ken Schlotfeldt saying that the Renegade is a better design at a fraction of the cost. Would you ask Ken if he was quoted correctly about the Renegade? (I cannot link the original quote at westcoastaribrush.com which is down now.)

Posted by Don Wheeler on Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:31 PM

You can see some comparisons of the Sotar and Renegades here.

Don

Posted by brickshooter on Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:31 PM

I've been trying to get my fingers on one for years.   But it's been out of my price range, and I can never find any used ones.  The few that shows up on Ebay or Craigslist generally gets gobbled up pretty quickly.

As I understand it, some of the top professionals use the Renegades for general purpose, then switch to the sotar for finishing touches (detail work).   The Iwata crowds do the same, using the HPC for general purpose and finshing up with a Micron.

I hear that unlike the Renegade needles, the Sotar needle is nearly indestructible.

Posted by Don Wheeler on Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:58 PM

brickshooter

I've been trying to get my fingers on one for years.   But it's been out of my price range, and I can never find any used ones.  The few that shows up on Ebay or Craigslist generally gets gobbled up pretty quickly.

Check this page out.  I don't know anything about them, but the price is good.

Don

Posted by brickshooter on Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:33 PM

Oh my God. That's great!

Thanks Don.

I'm getting one when I get my tax refund.

BTW, is the seller trustworthy?  

Posted by keilau on Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:36 PM

keilau

In an earlier post, some one also quoted Ken Schlotfeldt saying that the Renegade is a better design at a fraction of the cost. Would you ask Ken if he was quoted correctly about the Renegade? (I cannot link the original quote at westcoastaribrush.com which is down now.)

I found the quote that I was thinking about at another site, the airbrushtech web site, comparing Renegade vs. Sotar.

Posted by Don Wheeler on Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:18 PM

brickshooter

BTW, is the seller trustworthy?  

I have no idea.  I've never dealt with them.  Look at their About Us page.  Apparently they have some sort of deal with Badger.  You could e-mail Badger and ask if they are legit.  Please come back and let us know how it works out.

Don

Posted by keilau on Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:24 PM

Don Wheeler

Don

Don, I read it and am still confused.

As for the paint tip / needle size, on the gravity and side feed, it is “ultra fine” at .21mm. This falls between the Sotar’s fine .19mm and medium .25mm, which is what I have been using.  This produces a linear airflow angle of 6°. The bottom feed is fine at .33mm, which is larger than the Sotar large of .31mm and has a linear airflow angle of 6.5°.  While .5° degrees may not seem like much, in use it is quite a big difference.  While being able to quickly achieve fine lines with the fine tip, the fine tip produced distinctly soft-pencil thick lines.

Which airbrush/nozzle has a 6° flow angle and which 6.5°? What is the significance of a 0.5 degree difference?

Badger seems to be the only manufacturer discuss this "linear airflow angle" term, but they did not define it nor show how it was measured. Any other manufacturer used this term?

Posted by Don Wheeler on Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:46 PM

keilau

Don, I read it and am still confused.

As for the paint tip / needle size, on the gravity and side feed, it is “ultra fine” at .21mm. This falls between the Sotar’s fine .19mm and medium .25mm, which is what I have been using.  This produces a linear airflow angle of 6°. The bottom feed is fine at .33mm, which is larger than the Sotar large of .31mm and has a linear airflow angle of 6.5°.  While .5° degrees may not seem like much, in use it is quite a big difference.  While being able to quickly achieve fine lines with the fine tip, the fine tip produced distinctly soft-pencil thick lines.

Which airbrush/nozzle has a 6° flow angle and which 6.5°? What is the significance of a 0.5 degree difference?

Badger seems to be the only manufacturer discuss this "linear airflow angle" term, but they did not define it nor show how it was measured. Any other manufacturer used this term?

He says the bottom feed has an angle of 6.5 degrees.  That would be the Rage.  The Spirit and Velocity would be the 6 degree angle.  I have no idea how they determined this or how significant it is.  For the way I paint, it's purely academic.  The author is active on the Hyperscale forum.  If you joined, you could e-mail him and ask.  Or, you could e-mail Badger and ask them.  As for the Rage, if you look at my Renegade Rage page you can see what it can do in my clumsy hand.  The author says soft-pencil thick lines, and I think that's about right.

Don

Posted by Bgrigg on Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:53 PM

Freakflex is ADB Inc. and is either owned by Badger or a partner with them. If you hit the "Buy Now" button on the Renegade page at Badger, you end up at ABD. I think you could trust them!

So long folks!

Posted by Bgrigg on Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:08 PM

I had asked Ken about Linear Flow Angles a while ago, and this is what he sent me:

The linear air flow angle is the angle from the tip of the needle to where the needle reaches its OD. The finer this angle, the finer the line the airbrush will produce. Many people have been trained to think that the fineness is determined by the paint tip size, when in fact it is more determined by the linear air flow angle as it dictates how material flows off the needle.

I suspect the need for a steeper angle on the Rage is due to the slightly higher air pressure requirements.

So long folks!

Posted by Don Wheeler on Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:38 PM

Bgrigg

I had asked Ken about Linear Flow Angles a while ago, and this is what he sent me:

The linear air flow angle is the angle from the tip of the needle to where the needle reaches its OD. The finer this angle, the finer the line the airbrush will produce. Many people have been trained to think that the fineness is determined by the paint tip size, when in fact it is more determined by the linear air flow angle as it dictates how material flows off the needle.

I suspect the need for a steeper angle on the Rage is due to the slightly higher air pressure requirements.

Thanks for sharing that Bill.  I checked the angle on the Rage needle and it does indeed appear to be 6.5 degrees.  In case you're wondering, I used two pieces of paper, a good protractor, and a magnifying glass.

My guess about the reason the Rage angle is bigger is that the tip (nozzle) diameter had to be bigger to handle the siphon feed.  And, the taper had to be changed to keep the same length of needle exposure.  Which is essentially the same reason you gave.

Don

Posted by Bgrigg on Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:16 PM

spoken like a true engineer! Wink

I've done some surfing around the Freakflex website and came across this tidbit of information:

ABD, Inc. has a consumer direct service agreement with the manufacturer for this product, for product support, please contact:

and goes on to provide the contact information for Badger directly.

In fact if you go to http://www.abdcorp.com/ you'll see four different website addresses: Renegadeairbrushseries.com; thayerandchandlerairbrush.com; modelflexpaint.com; and of course freakflexpaint.com. All are Badger products. My guess is Badger has set this up as a means of selling direct to consumers, without involving Badger directly, and placing an order here, causes the product to be shipped from Badger to the end user.

So long folks!

Posted by Dr. Faust on Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:47 PM

Bgrigg

I've done some surfing around the Freakflex website and came across this tidbit of information:

ABD, Inc. has a consumer direct service agreement with the manufacturer for this product, for product support, please contact:

In fact if you go to http://www.abdcorp.com/ you'll see four different website addresses: Renegadeairbrushseries.com; thayerandchandlerairbrush.com; modelflexpaint.com; and of course freakflexpaint.com. All are Badger products. My guess is Badger has set this up as a means of selling direct to consumers, without involving Badger directly, and placing an order here, causes the product to be shipped from Badger to the end user.

Bgrigg

BGrigg

With all due respect   I think it's about time you show them forum one of your AB paint jobs.

car  plane camo whathaveyou . But come on  walk the walk dude let's see what you can do with youuur 20 yrs. exp.

Again with respest and if you choose to not show a pic of your work ikinda understand.

Thanks Dr

Just build it (and post pics when youre done)

Posted by Bgrigg on Friday, April 23, 2010 12:47 AM

Faust,

Number one. I don't have 20 years experience. Never stated I did.

Number two. I don't have to do anything I don't want to do.

Number three. You picking a fight? What for? Nothing better to do?

So long folks!

Posted by Dr. Faust on Friday, April 23, 2010 12:59 AM

Bgrigg

Faust,

nope  show the forum what ya got.  walk the walk

Posted by Bgrigg on Friday, April 23, 2010 1:36 AM

So long folks!

Posted by Dr. Faust on Friday, April 23, 2010 1:50 AM

Bgrigg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/astr8shooter/Smilies/donotfeedthetroll2.jpg

Funny how this is your final retort. oh well  you the man!

Posted by Don Wheeler on Friday, April 23, 2010 10:26 AM

Dr. Faust

With all due respect   I think it's about time you show them forum one of your AB paint jobs.

car  plane camo whathaveyou . But come on  walk the walk dude let's see what you can do with youuur 20 yrs. exp.

Again with respest and if you choose to not show a pic of your work ikinda understand.

Thanks Dr

I guess I don't get it.  We're discussing Sotars, and out of the blue you want Bgrigg to show his paint jobs.  Why?  If you've got a problem with Bill you could start a new thread or even a one to one conversation.   I don't see where Bill's skill with an airbrush makes any difference anyway.  If you want to see how bad I am you can see samples on my website.

Don

Posted by Bgrigg on Friday, April 23, 2010 10:34 AM

Don,

Faust has an issue with me, and always has for some reason. I spent some time last night going through his post history, and it's apparent, at least to me. Funny how he expects me to display my work, and doesn't himself. All I can gather from this is that people shouldn't drink and drive on the internet.

Bill

So long folks!

Posted by keilau on Friday, April 23, 2010 10:56 PM

Don Wheeler

I checked the angle on the Rage needle and it does indeed appear to be 6.5 degrees.  In case you're wondering, I used two pieces of paper, a good protractor, and a magnifying glass.

My guess about the reason the Rage angle is bigger is that the tip (nozzle) diameter had to be bigger to handle the siphon feed.  And, the taper had to be changed to keep the same length of needle exposure. .

Don

I took out the airbrushes that I have and made some measurement of the needles. The result are shown below:

Airbrush

Needle #

Nozzle size

Needle OD inch/mm

Taper length mm

Tip Angle

Badger Patriot 105Fine

51-81DT

0.5 mm*

0.05/1.28

9.8°

H&S Evolution Silverline Solo

0.2 mm

0.0475/1.20

4.9°

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS std

I 617 2

0.35 mm

0.054/1.39

6.0°

Iwata Eclipse HP-CS large

I 617 1

0.5 mm

0.054/1.39

7.3°

I derived the needle angles using the arctangent of the OD/Taper ratio. So it should be fairly accurate. It seems to me that everyone agreed that the needle angle or taper length is important. The angles do correlate well with the use of the airbrushes.

A large needle angle allows easier painting of large area and is more tolerant of paint thickness. A small needle angle gives finer trigger control and makes painting fine line easier.

*The Badger nozzle size is quoted from Don Wheeler's web site. The other nozzle sizes are manufacturer specifications. I did not measure them.

It would be very nice if the Sotar 2020 measurement is added here.

The numbers here are measured from airbrush parts and should have little room for arguing. If you doubt the value shown here of your favorite airbrush, measure yours and post the numbers.

Posted by Bgrigg on Friday, April 23, 2010 11:49 PM

Keilau,

Excellent work on providing those statistics. I hope I can use them for the airbrush guide I am working (slowly) on.

From the documentation Ken Schlotfeldt provided on tip sizes and air flow angles, the Renegade family and Sotar 20/20 tip angles range from 5° to 6.5°. Given that we already know the Rage is 6.5°, and the Velocity and Spirit are 6°, I think it is reasonable to conclude that the given tip angle for the Sotar is 5°.

Ken provided tip sizes and air flow angle ranges for the following:

Renegade (Velocity, Spirit, Rage, Sotar 20/20) .18mm to .33mm/5° to 6.5°

PRO series (105, 155, 175, 200NH & 360) .25mm to .45mm/6.8° to 8.5°.

Legend Series (100, 150, 200-20) .21mm to .45mm/6.5° to 8°

Vega (1000, 2000, 600, Nailaire) .3mm to .5mm/6.5° to 8.5°

Omni (3000, 4000m 5000, 6000, Nailairs) .25mm/6°

Unfortunately, he did not break down specific tip size to air flow angle, or confirm the medium needle sizes, but we could extrapolate from previously given numbers.

So long folks!

Posted by MikeV on Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:25 AM

Dr. Faust

Bgrigg:

Faust,

nope  show the forum what ya got.  walk the walk

I have about that much experience. How come you don't call me out? Stick out tongue Big Smile

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
Posted by MikeV on Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:27 AM

To the original question, yes I have a Sotar and like it very much. It is very precise, well balanced and can do anything any Micron can do for 1/4 the price.

I have not yet done a comparison to my Renegade but will sometime.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
Posted by MikeV on Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:29 AM

Bgrigg

Don,

Faust has an issue with me, and always has for some reason. I spent some time last night going through his post history, and it's apparent, at least to me. Funny how he expects me to display my work, and doesn't himself. All I can gather from this is that people shouldn't drink and drive on the internet.

Bill

Well Bill he does live in So Cal so maybe he has hung around Coast Airbrush some and thinks he is now one of the pros that goes there like Noah, Craig Fraser or one of the others. Confused

Posted by keilau on Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:27 AM

Bgrigg

From the documentation Ken Schlotfeldt provided on tip sizes and air flow angles, .........Ken provided tip sizes and air flow angle ranges for the following:

PRO series (105, 155, 175, 200NH & 360) .25mm to .45mm/6.8° to 8.5°.

Unfortunately, he did not break down specific tip size to air flow angle, or confirm the medium needle sizes, but we could extrapolate from previously given numbers.

I have only one Badger airbrush. The needle is the finest #51-81DT for the Pro-series. The tip angle I measured, 9.8°, is well larger than the top of the range that Badger published. The same applied to the nozzle size that Don Wheeler meassured for the fine needle. Don Wheeler's "3155 hybrid" web page It would be nice if Ken Schlotfeldt would come here to explain his measurement methodology once.

It is very straight forward to get the measurements I did. I got a Cen-Tech digital caliper for $10 from Harbor Freight. It has a stainless steel frame and 3 decimal places reading. (Don't get the cheaper, 2 decimal one.) A magnifying glass is very useful to determine where the OD section begins. I used actual physical measurement only and no other adjustment to the numbers. It should be good for comparison purpose among those airbrushes that I measured.

It would be very good if someone else can add the Badger 100LG, Sotar, Iwata High Performance, Micron and the Paasche Talon.

Bgrigg

From the documentation Ken Schlotfeldt provided on tip sizes and air flow angles

Renegade (Velocity, Spirit, Rage, Sotar 20/20) .18mm to .33mm/5° to 6.5°

Don Wheeler

As for the paint tip / needle size, on the gravity and side feed, it is “ultra fine” at .21mm. This falls between the Sotar’s fine .19mm and medium .25mm, which is what I have been using.  This produces a linear airflow angle of 6°. The bottom feed is fine at .33mm, which is larger than the Sotar large of .31mm and has a linear airflow angle of 6.5°. 

It will be good to know from Badger which one of the Renegade airbrush/needle is the one with a 0.18 mm nozzle and 5° needle flow angle. The quote from the Renegade review on "Gravity Feed R1-V Velocity – Ultra-Fine Nozzle" by Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman is cited by me. The review seemed to have missed that finest nozzle.

Posted by brickshooter on Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:34 AM

I think there was a misunderstanding.

The Renegades do not use the .18mm. 

SOTAR -

.19mm superfine, .25mm fine or .31mm large.  But the 5 degrees is only an estimate.

RENEGADES -

.21mm superfine @ 6 degrees, or 

.33mm fine @ 6.5 degrees.

Source -

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/tools/badgerrenegadereviewse_1.html

Posted by Don Wheeler on Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:26 AM

keilau

I derived the needle angles using the arctangent of the OD/Taper ratio. So it should be fairly accurate. It seems to me that everyone agreed that the needle angle or taper length is important. The angles do correlate well with the use of the airbrushes.

Keilau,

When you did the arctangent measurement of the Patriot needle, did you consider the small secondary taper on the end?  If not for this shortening, the needle would extend about another 0.050".  I did a direct measurement of angle on the main taper and came up with 8 degrees.  By the way, if you watch the tour video on the Badger website, you will see a large optical comparator which can measure angles very accurately.

Don

Posted by Bgrigg on Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:32 PM

Brickshooter,

Correct, the 5° is for the Sotar's .18mm needle. The sizes I quoted are directly from Ken at Badger and I have no reason to doubt the veracity, and can only assume that the .19mm size quoted on the Hyperscale review is an editorial error. I have attempted to get clarification from Ken on what size equals what angles, but so far that has not been forthcoming. I'm sure it will in time.

So long folks!

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.