SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

PART 2--Leopard 2A6 at Wolfhagen; INTERIOR PICS!!!

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
PART 2--Leopard 2A6 at Wolfhagen; INTERIOR PICS!!!
Posted by the doog on Friday, July 18, 2008 10:49 PM

Hi guys--with apologies to dial-up users, here's Part 2, with interior shots from the Leopard 2A6.

Looking down into the loader's hatch--the lever is to open the ammo stowage door at top of the pic. 

OK--I'm sitting in the TC seat now taking these pics...The collapsing ammo racks--pull a shell, and the sleeve collapses to save space.

Looking at Janine and Jenn through one of the periscopes. I was really surprised that Jenn said she could see me looking at her too! 

MG (?) stowage directly behind the TC seat.

Looking down the smoothbore gun.  

Here's two interesting shots by our photographer Neal, who had a fisheye lense--this is from the loader's seat, looking back at that ammo door; note gun's breech...

...and looking over to the TC's position...

Ok, now--Jenn is in the gunner's seat; I'm in the TC's position...my sights are on the left of the photo...

This is the actual gunner's controls, in front of Jenn where she's sitting...

...and the gunner's sights...

This is the control to fire the smoke cannisters, just to the right of the TC's knees--note that you can choose "Smoke" (top) or "High Explosive" (bottom). All are numbered, corresponding to the outside tubes. 

This has something to do with turning the turret...??? Or maybe something to do with the radios?

I turned directly around 360* and this radio unit is right behing the gun breech on the turrret wall...

On the loader's wall, where the headphones plug in...

Looking into the driver's hatch...

The steering wheel and area...let me assure you--this is NOT built for tall people! I'm 6'3", and I could not fit into the seat comfortably; it was like an Italian sports car!

This is actually the emergency brake...When I was trying to close the driver's hatch, I pullled this, and the whole tank rollled forward two feet! Yikes! This is on the right wall...

Driver's console, left of driver....no CD player--bummer!

The pedals...

Looking over my left shoulder, at where the loader's feet would be...

...and looking directly backward to where the TC's seat folds down.

If I extend my left arm, I can touch this ammo stowage right next to the left of the driver...right under the gun

These little mirrors fold down when you're in the edriver's seat, and help the driver see through the periscopes....cool!

This is one of the disassembled Leopards in the shed--this is looking through the turret ring at that aforementioned ammo rack by the driver.

and looking to the right...

and the left..

One of the drives behind the sprockets..

Well, that's it for this one--the last one will be some more shots of the Leopards in the sheds, ith some of their mods and just some more cool shots! Hope you enjoyed them! Big Smile [:D]

Posted by Jon_a_its on Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:26 AM
Superb pics!
keepon posting!
How did you get such access?
  you lucky Doog!

anyway rough translation follows, note these are my opinions only, I will contact a BundesWehr mate who trained in and HAS GOT a Leo 1 (!) for clarification
pic 4 Captioned: MG (?) stowage directly behind the TC seat. Captions read (l to r)
Signal. und Leuchtmunition = Signal and Light(smoke?) Ammunition
MPi = Could be Machine Pistole, but doubt it, see below
Reinigungsg... = CLEANING....
MPi  = ...
Pic 12 : This has something to do with turning the turret...??? Or maybe something to do with the radios?
Stab Ein : Stab(iliser) ON
Beobact: Observe
Turm Aus (arrowed) Turret OFF
Bordnetz(?) Something? Net

East Mids Model Club 32nd Annual Show 2nd April 2023

http://www.eastmidsmodelclub.co.uk/

Don't feed the CM!

Posted by the doog on Saturday, July 19, 2008 8:26 AM

Great info there, Jon!

That would be cool if you could help elucidate anything in the photos! Thanks for posting, and please do so again if you find anything else out! Big Smile [:D]

Posted by doc-hm3 on Saturday, July 19, 2008 8:56 AM
 Doog, Excellant pic's! There's so much equipment packed in there. Just how tight was it in there?

All gave some and some gave all.

Posted by the doog on Saturday, July 19, 2008 10:28 PM
 doc-hm3 wrote:
 Doog, Excellant pic's! There's so much equipment packed in there. Just how tight was it in there?
Actually it wasn't too bad in the turret, but the driver's compartment was something else. I would guess you would have to be around 5'11" max, to be comfy in the seat. The turret actually had a decent amount of lateral room, but the TC did have  the gunner stuck between his legs...all in all though, it was not as tight as the Panther II or StuG that I've been in!
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.