SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Completed Hobbycraft 1/72 Dehavilland Dash 8-100

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Completed Hobbycraft 1/72 Dehavilland Dash 8-100
Posted by rodc on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:27 PM

Boy I'm on a roll.  Two completed kits in as many months....that's more than the last two years combined!  Here is the second completed kit which is a 1/72 Dehavilland Dash 8-100 from Hobbycraft all dressed up as an Air Jazz regional commuter.

Kit was not the greatest.  Fuselage halves went together OK as did the wings but the engine nacelle fit on the wings was really bad.  Windscreen fit was not the best either.  Took lots of putty and sanding to make look OK.  I added 20g of weight to the nose as per instructions and after assembly it was still tail heavy.  Luckily I did not glue the nose lamp in place and was able to extract it leaving a 3mm wide hole in which to stuff weight in the nose (fishing sinker cut in small pieces with side-cutter pliers). 

Large "maple leaf" decals had to be trimmed after leading edges were painted black.  Good thing Hobbycraft supplied two spares!  Instructions were not the best and the kit was overall pretty simplistic with very few parts. No information given as to the width of the black stripe on the leading edges so it was eyeballed the best I could.  Model was painted exclusively with Model Master gloss enamels, then decalled and "Futured".

Eventhough the kit was not really good, it was OK to build and helped me with my seam repair and sanding skills!

Pics are below and thanks for looking!

RODC

Posted by trexx on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:47 PM

One, sweet build there!

Dang. That airplane has a humongus fin!

Posted by yardbird78 on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:53 PM

Nice work on the little passenger job.  Isn't that an earlier version of the one that crashed in Buffalo last month?

Darwin, O.F.  Alien [alien]

The B-52 and me, we have grown old, gray and overweight together.

Posted by rodc on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:05 PM

Darwin,

You are correct.  The plane that went down in Buffalo was a Dash 8 Q400 if I am not mistaken.

RODC

Posted by Daywalker on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:23 PM
Nice work, I like it!  Don't see the -9 here often, too bad as it is a good looking plane.  Thanks for sharing yours with us! Thumbs Up [tup]

Frank 

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:38 PM

Looks good from here.  Nice clean build.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by ruddratt on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:40 PM
I've taken many a hop in those birds (with those markings as well). Very nice build! Thumbs Up [tup]

Mike

"We have our own ammunition. It's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures....scares the hell outta people."

Posted by rodc on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:56 PM

Ah shucks...........Blush [:I]Blush [:I]Blush [:I]

Thanks for the comments guys.  I am very pleased with the paintjob and decals and love the aircraft.  I too have flown a lot on the good old "Crash 8".  Great airplane.  I just absolutely hate the prop blades in the kit and wish I had my time back, I would probably looked for something better aftermarket or tried to improve the ones that came with the kit.  They look really wide to me and the angles they sit with the prop nose just don't seem right.......

The main thing is that I finished another kit!  This is a big accomplishment for me since I seldom get chance to play plastic!!!

Once again, thanks for the comments......

RODC

Posted by raptordriver on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:52 PM
Nice work RodcThumbs Up [tup]

Andrew

Posted by djmodels1999 on Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:49 AM
Great work!
Posted by MaxPower on Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:42 PM

The great thing about that kit is that there is no detail to worry about so you can go to town on the sanding!

I had that kit but unfortunatly I didn't finish it. The tail had broken several times on that thin part of it. I was almost finished... but was frustrated with the model. Well that tail broke one last time... and so did I!!! I enjoyed the 15 seconds it took to destroy that model more than the whole build lol.

My regret is I also destroyed the decals in my frenzy. They would have been awesome for an A380 what if.

So that said I'm impressed you even finished that cursed model. It looks great dude.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.