SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

My U-96 DAS BOOT in 1/72 Locked

84 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by Fish-Head Aric on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:03 PM
OHHHH .... MY .... DOG! THAT IS THE BEST ROUGH WATER I HAVE EVER SEEN MODELLED!

Andy! As soon as you have that bit on water-creation, I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Write me, or what ever, anything anything anything! I have a project and I really want the exact look of water that you've replicated for it!

I am researching to create a diorama similar to this:

Refer to message string http://www.finescale.com/fsm/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49893
~Aric Fisher aric_001@hotmail.com
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:39 PM
I just want to cry!Boohoo [BH]Boohoo [BH]Boohoo [BH]Boohoo [BH]

Ron
Posted by Leftie on Friday, September 23, 2005 4:15 PM
There Are A Lot Of Model Builders in the world but very few artist. You Sir, Are a great artist!!! Thanks for sharing. If you have anything else, don't hesitate to show us.
Posted by rokket on Monday, September 26, 2005 8:58 AM
Extreeeeeeeeeeeeeemley impressive. Nice boat, very nice water1 Excellent work. Well done.

I'm just starting my ow u-boat and have somewhere to aim.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts Fabric Flags, AM Uboat Goodies & More http://amp.rokket.biz/
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, October 9, 2005 12:46 PM
WOW !!!!! ive been modelling for about 12-13 years, and that is the best ive seen in a long time!!!!!Thumbs Up [tup]Thumbs Up [tup]Thumbs Up [tup]!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Fish-Head Aric on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:49 PM

I know, I know... this thread went to sleep a long time ago... but DANG, I love this model.... and there's been soooo little boat model posting.

So, bear with me and make sure you bring your drool cup.

Posted by espins1 on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:47 PM
My god that is good!  The water is absolutely amazing!!!! Shock [:O]

Scott Espin - IPMS Reno High Rollers  Geeked My Reviews 

Posted by Fish-Head Aric on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:21 PM

I know... This is one of my all-time favorites seen here or anywhere, so really wanted to bring it up for the newer folk to see.

This guy just takes the cake!

Posted by warshipbuilder on Friday, June 30, 2006 7:45 AM
Agree 100%.

So whatever happened to the 'how to make realistic water' article?
Perhaps we ought to start a campaign for one!

I've just tried clicking on the link 'gruanwulf' and all I get is the usual '404 error'

Come on - let's have an update soon please..........

Posted by Gerarddm on Friday, June 30, 2006 9:24 AM

WOW WOW WOW. Can I repeat that?

I think the comment on more 'wet' also applies to the sub itself.

How did you do the white water streams coming out each side of the hull?

Gerard> WA State Current: 1/700 What-If Railgun Battlecruiser 1/700 Admiralty COURAGEOUS battlecruiser
Posted by flyguy on Friday, June 30, 2006 10:23 AM
OMG! For once I'm speechless !!! Das ist wunderbar !!!
Grit yer teeth an' grin !!!
Posted by T_Terrific on Friday, June 30, 2006 10:25 AM

trowlfazz wrote:
Andy-I agree with Andy. You have such an animated peice here that the harsh weather crew would make it even better-I think Andreas makes that crew. But a great build as it is!!

Sign - Ditto [#ditto]

I am looking forward to seeing your captain a first mate up on the bride, keeping a lookout for any enemy patrol planes Wink [;)]

Tom T Cowboy [C):-)]

Tom TCowboy

“Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.”-Henry Ford

"Except in the fundamentals, think and let think"- J. Wesley

"I am impatient with stupidity, my people have learned to live without it"-Klaatu: "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

"All my men believe in God, they are ordered to"-Adolph Hitler

Posted by Anonymous on Friday, June 30, 2006 10:39 AM
Let me join in on thr kudos! Outstanding! Maybe a little hint to the FSM staff......Give him a call and see if we'll all see a nice article in an upcoming issue with the "How To" on the build/water!
Again, superb build!
Posted by starduster on Friday, June 30, 2006 6:46 PM
      I've seen manny, manny ship dioramas even in museums but never have I seen such motion from a static display, you can feel the power of the waves and the sub at times slicing through and at times being thrown by the surging waves, this I must agree is an exquisite work of art, thanks for sharing this with us...I'm looking forward to a detailed how to article on this, BTW what is the title of that CD ?sounds like it belongs in our library of music to build model ships by, thanks.  Karl
photograph what intrests you today.....because tomorrow it may not exist.
Posted by chukw on Sunday, July 2, 2006 6:58 PM
It's just awesome!   And you built the boat in three days....     Mine is still plodding along...  ;)
Posted by RotorRob60 on Monday, July 3, 2006 2:52 AM
Andy,

What is the URL for your website?

Rob
Posted by TD4438 on Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:31 PM
Un f -ing believable!I was looking for some examples to help me along with a Type IXC I'm doing.After seeing this masterpiece,I'm just gonna chuck mine in the garbage.Great build.

Posted by Anonymous on Monday, July 17, 2006 3:13 PM
Amazing job, I woudl really like to know how you created the water though, im working on a project with a Seawolf doing an emergency surface and im not sure how to get the water to look like I want it.
Posted by warshipbuilder on Saturday, December 9, 2006 7:15 PM

BOOST!

Just have to bang this one back to the top before it gets lost!

Whatever happened to the FSM feature on this one?

Anyhow,  for 1/72 U Boat & marvalous Seascape lovers evrywhere, here's another lovely job -

http:www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss/dkm/u570-350-dm/dm-index.html

Another great sea seascape I'm sure you'll all agree.

Dave 

Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, December 9, 2006 7:58 PM
BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!! Bow [bow]
Posted by davew6003 on Saturday, December 9, 2006 10:20 PM
Wow............................Thats just.........WOW!!!!!
Posted by Steve H. on Saturday, December 9, 2006 11:51 PM

WOW! ! !

My 1/700 scale VII-C is painted similar, BUT I'll NEVER do another 1/700 scale sub{full hull} again! What a nitemare!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong, she looks great, but no more "full hull" subs in 1/700! Yours iz FANTASTICO ! ! ! !

SteveH

Posted by intruder_bass on Friday, May 11, 2007 11:01 PM

Oh My...  havent checked this thread for a wile... Stuck to 1/35 helos for last 2 years.

But I am coming back to ships! Right now building 1/350 Udaloy class destroyer - might do "shittly weather" dio again... Gotto finish it by September (CAPCON)

BTW Thanks for the comments!

Andy 

Posted by daveinthehat on Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:56 AM
I'll add my 'Wow!' on top of everyone elses. Thats a fantastic diorama. The water is stunning. It adds so much life and movement to a really great model. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:36 PM
A very well-thoughtout and executed model! IMHO, glossing the entire sub would be out-of-scale....the ships I've built get a careful spray of satin or semi-gloss to replicate the surfaces' being wet from sea spray, and U96 would certainly be wet.
Posted by MBT70 on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:11 PM
I remember this thread and I remember the pictures, but they seem to have fallen off their hyperlinks.  Can you re-post them so I can drool again and maybe download them.  Every so often I'd give them a look to ensure my humility is intact.
Life is tough. Then you die.
Posted by searat12 on Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:48 PM
Words fail me.. the water is the best i have ever seen, and the kit is outstanding too!  Bravo!!
Posted by intruder_bass on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:28 PM

Thank you guys!

MBT70, pics on the first page seem to work still... If not - let me know - I'll send them to you.

The article on making water is a good idea, although I dont think I will be able to tell you anything new... This method is old and was described several times by other modelers.

The base of my dio is a mix of styro-foam and plaster. First of all I did not cut the bottom of the sub - it still is a solid hull submerged into (or surrounded by) lots of little pieces of Styro-foam glued together with white glue. I would say its pritty much the same method as model train layouts with mountains, valleys and othe relief...

When basic wave "layout" was set, everything was covered with layer of plaster. Actually I used just a cheap wall compound from closest Home hardware store and I spreaded it using a kitchen spoon :-)))))

After 24 hours everything was painted including the sub. Top of waves with lighter shades of blue/grey - bottom of the wave - darker shades. I used to work at sea on container carrier so I had to spend A LOT of time on the deck and on the bridge watching all kinds of waves and squalls :-)

When the paint job is done I put 3 layers of Realistic water by Woodland scenics.

The final step was to imitate all the water coming off the sub's hull. I used all sorts of crap - pieces of plastic cover for the cakes, stretched clear plastic sprue, clear rubber glue (dont remember the brand)...

Thats about it...

Andy

Posted by Daywalker on Saturday, September 1, 2007 11:18 PM
Unbelievable!  Almost makes me want to throw the wingie-things in the round file.  Seriously, awesome job! Bow [bow]

Frank 

Posted by warshipbuilder on Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:40 AM

Here's another which is well worth an accolade or two -

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss/dkm/u217-144-gh/gh-index.html

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.