Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Three 1/48 Phantoms

18 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Three 1/48 Phantoms
Posted by oortiz10 on Friday, June 25, 2010 12:43 AM

**WARNING:  PICTURE HEAVY**

OK gang,

I’m done with the gaggle of Phantoms I started for the Phantom GB!  As with every one of my builds since my re-entry into the hobby, I tried a few “firsts” with these jets.  Notably, these were my first Phantoms and my first Hasegawa kits.  For the most part, the fit was pretty good on all three jets.  The only real problems I ran into were around the intakes, but after following many Phantom builds and reading the posts, I came to expect them.  All in all, I didn’t run in to a whole lot of problems.

Anyway, let’s get on to the photos, shall we?

First, is a Hasegawa QF-4N I bought second hand from a private seller, built as an early –B.  I used a few pix from Almansur’s website for inspiration.  I know, I know, some of you are groaning about it being another “bones” build, but I dig the Yankee Air Pirate scheme. 

I think it’s the coolest of the Jolly Rogers schemes and in my opinion one of the best looking in the Navy’s history.  So there!

It’s built pretty much OOB in CAM Decals, finished with MM Enamels and MM Metalizers; weathered with Promodeler and watercolor washes, and pastels.  I tried a little of the salt weathering technique, but I think I might need to practice some more. 

The only aftermarket addition was a set of AMS FOD covers.

The AIM-9s are from the kit, while the AIM-7s are from the spares box. 

Finally, the only real mods I made to the plastic were on the tail and chin sensor.  I reshaped the chin sensor, removed the fairings from the tip of the tail, removed the slats from the horizontal stabilizers, and “freed” the tailhook.

Also, the “tubes” on the leading edge of the tail were broken off, so I replaced ‘em (as best I could) with some brass. 

Next is another Hase QF-4N.  On this one I used CAM Decals to build a -N from VF-111.

This was another second hand purchase.  Unfortunately, the original owner planned to use a resin ‘pit on his build and removed the sidewall detail from the fuse halves.  In response I decided to add some pilots to distract the eye from noticing the missing detail.  So, I hacked up a couple of pilots, added scratched hoses to their masks and decorated their bone-domes. 

Some resin burners were included in the original deal, so I used ‘em.  They’re a little rough looking with some pinholes and not perfectly molded, but they look better than the kit’s offering. 

This build was finished and weathered exactly the same way as the VF-84 jet. 

Again, brass was used to replace the missing/broken “tubes.” 

I know the pic of the real jet doesn’t show any external fuel tanks installed, but one of the jests in the background has its red-tipped C/L tank installed.  I don’t like the look of a “clean” Phantom and my VF-84 jet has its C/L tank, so I didn’t want my VF-111 build to look “boring” or have the same configuration.  As a result, I opted to use a little artistic license and included some wing tanks too.

The only real problems I came across were with the decals.  The mouth wrinkled up on me a little, so it’s not as “smooth” as I would’ve liked.  Also, the tail markings ended up a little “short” on the rudder.  Funny, when they first went on they fit fine, but after I applied the setting solution, they shriveled up and dried “short.”  Oh well.  I can live with it.

Last is Revellogram’s –J.  Instead of Showtime 100, I decided on a USMC jet from Vietnam.  I really like heavy or unusual load-outs, so I chose to do a CAS load you don’t see every day.

Finished the same way as the other two Phantoms, this one wears modified CAM Decals.  Basically I cut out the squadron code from the Bicentennial markings and omitted the squadron insignia. 

All raised detail that was lost during the build was replaced with Archer details, and the FOD covers, again, are AMS Resin. 

The burner cans are actually taken from one of the Hase kits. 

The ordnance was mostly donated. 

An ex-Phantom fixer informed me that my C/L pylon and MER combo is wrong.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have the correct pylon to use, so I took one of the empty pylons from one of the Hase kits.  Only the hardest of the hardcore will catch my faux pas, so I’m fine with leaving it.  It’d be too much trouble to fix now. 

Some of you may also notice that my ordnance is a little “off” and one of the Zuni warheads is missing. 

That’s because I had to rebuild the assemblies after they encountered the immovable object and irresistible force that is a Labrador’s tail.

Anyway, I’d like to thank everyone that helped me with my builds.  I greatly appreciate all the answers to all my dumb questions, all the helpful suggestions and motivation, and especially the donated parts that saved me and my builds more than once.  I really enjoyed building the Phantom and have since picked up a couple more.  When it comes time to build those, I hope my experience with these will lead to better results.

Feel free to drop your two cents in the bucket.  Comments and constructive criticism on the builds and photograpy are welcome.  Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

-O

(Editted for broken links.)

-It's Omar, but they call me "O".

Posted by Pawel on Friday, June 25, 2010 1:19 AM

O,

very nice builds - I like the subjects a lot, and I like how you built it too. Especially the effect on the metal in the exhaust area. Keep 'em comin', have a nice day

Pawel

All comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for your honest opinions!

www.vietnam.net.pl

Posted by Julez72 on Friday, June 25, 2010 3:35 AM

O, Very cool F-4's...I love the Jolly Rogers scheme...Well doneYesToast

BTW Nice lookin Lab...

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Friday, June 25, 2010 7:47 AM

Very nice Builds in my favorite schemes.  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by jetmodeler on Friday, June 25, 2010 8:42 AM

They all look great.Bow Down

Posted by mucker on Friday, June 25, 2010 9:07 AM

Great builds, Omar!

Posted by Anonymous on Friday, June 25, 2010 9:47 AM

I love em and want to marry em...

Posted by berny13 on Friday, June 25, 2010 10:20 AM

Nice job O.  I like the different shades on the shingle panels.  Looks just right.  Where did you learn that trick?  I want mention anything about the centerline pylon on the Marine bird.   Wink

Berny

Phormer Phantom Phixer

On the bench

TF-102A Delta Dagger, 32nd FIS, 54-1370, 1/48 scale. Monogram Pro Modeler with C&H conversion.  

Revell F-4E Phantom II 33rd TFW, 58th TFS, 69-260, 1/32 scale. 

Tamiya F-4D Phantom II, 13th TFS, 66-8711, 1/32 scale.  F-4 Phantom Group Build. 

Posted by oortiz10 on Friday, June 25, 2010 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone.  I’m glad you like ‘em.  They definitely presented me with some challenges, but I feel like I’m a better modeler for having finished ‘em.

berny13
...I like the different shades on the shingle panels.  Looks just right...

Berny, thanks so much for the pat on the back.  Again, hearing feedback like this, coming from someone that’s spent so much time around the real thing, really helps solidify my techniques.  Speaking of which…

For the shingle panels and blast panels, I started by painting everything MM non-buffing steel.  Then, for the shingle panels, I’d darken the steel with a little MM non-buffing titanium, and then spray a random panel or two.  I’d progressively darken the mix with more titanium and spray the odd panel, leaving one or two the original steel color.  Since the MM metalizers are so fragile, I masked with damp pieces of paper.  The end result was the mismatched panel look I was going for.  For the blast panels, I “post-shaded” the area where the panels overlap with light coats of titanium, allowing some overspray to cover the steel in the center of the panels.  For those 4-5 panels directly behind the cans, I sprayed light coats of MM exhaust; progressively darkening the panels closest to the burner.  Finally, I sprayed light coats of MM burnt metal over the MM exhaust, until I got the burnt look I wanted.  

I know my explanation isn’t totally clear, but I hope it gives some idea of how I pulled it off.  In all honesty, the tail’s bare metal area was the one part of the build I was most afraid of.

Anyway, again, thanks for looking.  Be sure to sound-off; I’d love to hear your feedback!

Cheers,

-O

P.S.

berny13
...I want mention anything about the centerline pylon on the Marine bird. 

Thanks Berny, your hush-money check is on its way.  Wink

Posted by Gregbbear on Friday, June 25, 2010 10:21 PM

Great builds O.  I really enjoyed watching the progress in Phantom GB.  You really did the Phantom proud!  Have a great weekend.  Oh yea, what's next O?

Cheers,

Greg

- yat yas!

Posted by Daywalker on Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:00 PM

Absolutely gorgeous builds O!  Especially the bones scheme.  Those early VF-84 birds are the sharpest of the lot.  Incredible work!

Frank 

Posted by Milairjunkie on Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:31 PM

You have done the lovley Rhino / Double Ugly some serious justice with these, all have turned out very well.

Posted by raptordriver on Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:08 PM

Great Work! The Phantom rules! My favorite scheme is the SEA, but those are still awesome.

Andrew

Posted by IBuild148 on Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:15 PM

"O",

Great job on your completed F-4 Builds. Yes I am on my 3rd, F-4 and its great to see others work so we can compare notes.

As for your the encounter from your Lab. He was probably telling you he wanted more attention!

IBuildOne48

Teach modeling to youth!

Scalefinishes.com

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/NMF%20Group%20build%20II/Group%20Badge/NMFIIGBbadgesmall.jpg

Posted by oortiz10 on Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:07 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the kudos!  I really appreciate everyone taking the time to check out my builds, and your feedback really keeps me motivated for future builds.  

Julez72

…Nice lookin Lab...

Thanks Julez.  D’Ohgee was reading over my shoulder while I surfed the FSM boards.  Now he’s walking around the house like he’s the hottest thing since sliced bread.

Gregbbear

…Oh yea, what's next O?

Hey Greg, I think after this epic build I’m gonna build something a little less challenging.  I picked up Monogram’s ol’ F-86 and may slap that together.  There’s a Sabre GB over on ARC that I might jump in to.  I don’t plan on doing a NMF, so it shouldn’t be too hard.  Although, I do plan on rescribing it; just for practice.

raptordriver

…My favorite scheme is the SEA…

You know raptordriver, I love the look of the F-4 in the SEA scheme too.  I’m planning on doing Hase’s –C, with an uncommon loadout, in SEA dress…one of these days.

IBuild148

…As for your the encounter from your Lab. He was probably telling you he wanted more attention!

Believe me, if he could, he’d be sitting in my lap right now…

Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to drop me a note.   Thanks again for lookin’ and the pats on the back!   

Cheers!

-O

Posted by Nachtflieger on Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:47 AM

Excellent builds! I love the Jolly Rogers bird, well done!Big Smile

Nate

Posted by gpal on Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:54 PM

Excellent job! I also love the Jolly Rogers bird, I have one to put together as well!Big 
SmileCan I ask ho woyu get such a flat finish (sealer) on the kits?

George

Posted by oortiz10 on Monday, June 28, 2010 9:52 AM

gpal

Excellent job!...Can I ask ho woyu get such a flat finish (sealer)...?

Hey George,

Thanks for the compliment!

How did I get my flat finish?  I used Testors Dullcote, although, not in the spray can.  I use the laquer that comes in the "tall" square bottle that you have to thin yourself.  I use 2:1 (dullcote:laquer thinner) and shoot thin, misty coats through my airbrush at about 15 psi.  Before decals, I gloss coat my builds with Future, and the Testors Dullcote knocks down the shine pretty well.  If you're slow with your dull coat application process, you can even end up with a semi-gloss sheen.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Again, thanks for lookin'!

Cheers!

-O

Posted by Medicman71 on Monday, June 28, 2010 10:47 AM

The Phantoms look awsome. They all look great. I love the Jolly Rogers and the Sundowners markings. Some of my favorite.

Building- (All 1/48) F-14A Tomcat, F-16C Blk 30, He 129

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.