SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Macross Group Build 2010 - 2011

326 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by Gunpla Master on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:16 PM

The build begins on this insect!  A few swipes with a sanding block and the halves mated well.

The dread side seam.  I have an idea for this little delima.

/ ]

Posted by Gunpla Master on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:18 PM

Harshman, looks great and as has been stated already, looks like it has been battle tested.  Nice build.

/ ]

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:47 PM

Couldn't resist and the nippers jumped into my hands, chopped a few pieces of the tree and glues a few parts.

Pic below shows the upper fuselage and the A and J Variant heads. Personally I prefer the J head but will build mine as a A as I prefer the markings on that one.

Building egg-planes brings a smile to my face.

Posted by Phil_H on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:02 PM

Wow, things are moving along already and we're still two and a bit weeks from the "official" start date. Smile

Harshman - Great job on the Super Valk Yes

Gunpla Master - The Quel-Quallie sure brings back memories, it's a fun little kit.

Mad Modeler - That egg-plane Valkyrie is egg-cellent.. Big Smile I'm going to have to think about picking up one of those.

I'm tempted to get stuck into one of my kits, but I've been tinkering around with a 1/170 VF-1D Battroid which I started but put aside 20-something years ago. It's a bit rough as some of the seams are really nasty, but it passes the time. Wink

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:52 PM

Phil.

Those egg-plane Valkyries are a "Limited Edition", got mine via Hobby Search.

HLJ, Rainbow 10 also might still have stock.

For everybody:

This is another kit for the GB. Thought I had a copy in the stash but was wrong.

Zentraedi Male Armor:

This kit is a putty monster,
BTW, I will not be doing the kit suggested scheme but the one show below(Bodol Fleet). Need to check what kit supplied decals I can use.

I know of 4 schemes one in the kit is a personalised command scheme.

Over the weekend I should be picking up the Missile Phalanx and the Fan Racer.

Most of the builds will be over-lapping, like to work like that. Glue a kit while it dries, daub some paint on another kit, etc.

Posted by Harshman II on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:10 AM

As promise, clearer and more photos of my completed VF-1A/J  Super Valkyrie..  Despite this is an old kit which I got it at bargain from ebay at $6.50, it life up to the reputation of Hasegawa,good fit and great detail.

Posted by TD4438 on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:16 AM

Gunpla Master

Received two kits from my friend Sadayoshi-sain from Japan.  I am well pleased with them both and were sent EMS which ment I had w/in 5 days of shipping.  Now U cain"t beat that w/a stick.Stick out tongue

1st kit I will post is the 1/72 ARII MBR-04-MKVI Destroid TOMAHAWK

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/rickyhensley/Macross2010002.jpg

This is the reason I wanted this version: The decal sheet that came w/it.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/rickyhensley/Macross2010011.jpg

Now this is my kind of mech!

Is this kit hard to find?

It's very similar to the Robotech Defenders I so dearly love.

Posted by TD4438 on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:21 AM

Harshman II

As promise, clearer and more photos of my completed VF-1A/J  Super Valkyrie..  Despite this is an old kit which I got it from bargain from ebay at $6.50, it life up to the reputation of Hasegawa.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/akagi/IMG_2933.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/akagi/IMG_2932.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/akagi/IMG_2928.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/akagi/IMG_2926.jpg

Just too sweet dude.So many kits,so little time.

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:28 AM

TD4438
Now this is my kind of mech!

Is this kit hard to find?

It's very similar to the Robotech Defenders I so dearly love.

The Arii 1/72 Tomahawk is very difficult to find and very expensive when you do, having been OOP for about 25 years. A pity cos it was less than $10.00 back then but you're looking at a 3 digit figure now.

Wave has just released a new tooled kit - Check out Mad Modeler's thread for more details: /forums/t/130995.aspx

There is also a 1/100 scale kit originally by Imai and repopped by Bandai which is much more affordable and much more easily available. Check out Cosmic J's build here: /forums/t/129869.aspx

Posted by Harshman II on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:35 AM

TD4438

Just too sweet dude.So many kits,so little time.

Thanks pal. If not for the ebay deal, I will not be doing the Macross Kit..

I try to forgo those detail that cannot be seen and will cut down lots of building time. So more kits able to chunk out.

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:36 AM

Harshman II
As promise, clearer and more photos of my completed VF-1A/J  Super Valkyrie..  Despite this is an old kit which I got it at bargain from ebay at $6.50, it life up to the reputation of Hasegawa,good fit and great detail.

Hey Harshman,

Very cool - it's not all that old a kit though, being first released in 2001. If I may make one observation, it looks like you have mounted the leg packs a little too far back. The front part of the leg pack should completely cover the engine nacelle and the rear shouldn't overlap the nozzles.

But overall, she looks great. Big Smile

Posted by smeagol the vile on Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:05 AM

My kit is coming along slowly, the fit on the cockpit area was horrible and left a Big gap On the underside, so I have been working on fixing it.

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:13 AM

smeagol the vile

My kit is coming along slowly, the fit on the cockpit area was horrible and left a Big gap On the underside, so I have been working on fixing it.

Hope you have the cockpit insert properly centred. If it's even slightly offset to one side, the canopy is so thick that it will be pushed off-centre by the top of the seat/s. I'd suggest dry-fitting the canopy too - you will most likely need to sand/grind out a little under the front edge to make it sit flush.

Posted by smeagol the vile on Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:35 AM

I did everything I could with the cockpit, kept making that gap.  I know how to fix it will just take work so, eh

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:23 PM

I think Nousjadeul Ger might be my first finished build.

Yesterday TV was boring so I somehow got the kit out and started keeping myself busy. Must have hit the groove as the kit is now 80% assembled and there is only 1 gap (back of the suit) that needs a bit of filling.

Looks like Tamiya might have cleaned up the molds as the fit and detail seem better than on previous builds. Pics later need to head out soon to get a new sleeping bag.

Smeagol:

Agree with above, getting the cockpit to sit right takes a bit of fiddling, very tight engineering there.

Tip: I often use teenie drops of CA  to hold parts during test assembly, etc. If the part is seated wrong it breaks of easy and can be reseated. A technique often used in welding too and usually reffered to as tacking or stitching.

Harshman: 

Very nice buildup, new pics make it look much better. Previous pics somehow looked like shading,etc were overdone.

Posted by Kugai on Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:54 PM

Mad-Modeler:

It'll be good to see another Nasjadeul done.  I had one years ago ( lost since, but with a replacement in the works ), but couldn't bring myself to go with the purple colors.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/No%20After%20Market%20Build%20Group/Group%20Badge/GBbadge2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by Harshman II on Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:08 PM

Phil_H

Harshman II:

Hey Harshman,

Very cool - it's not all that old a kit though, being first released in 2001. If I may make one observation, it looks like you have mounted the leg packs a little too far back. The front part of the leg pack should completely cover the engine nacelle and the rear shouldn't overlap the nozzles.

But overall, she looks great. Big Smile

Phil, I just follow the instruction of Hasegawa. The leg pack can't be move anymore cos I need to fit the pack on the fin which I believe everything is already fixed in position. Even the leg pack has slot hole which make everything in position and can't go wrong. If there is anything wrong, it will be Hasegawa align mistake. Big Smile

And thanks for the compliment,

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:58 PM

Kugai:

If you decide to do one again(they reissued regularly than here are a few canon colour-schemes.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/nousjadeul-ger.htm 

My Missile Phalanx will also be done in an alternate scheme as per that site.

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:10 PM

Harshman II
Phil, I just follow the instruction of Hasegawa. The leg pack can't be move anymore cos I need to fit the pack on the fin which I believe everything is already fixed in position. Even the leg pack has slot hole which make everything in position and can't go wrong. If there is anything wrong, it will be Hasegawa align mistake. Big Smile

And thanks for the compliment,

Hi Harshman,

Looking at it a bit more closely, I can now see what's wrong. You have the leg packs transposed left to right, so they are in fact mounted in reverse (ie left pack on right engine and vice-versa).  The row of three thrusters on the pack should be to the rear, whereas you have those toward the front.

Posted by Harshman II on Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:47 PM

You are correct bro. I see what I can salvage.. Cos I use super glue. So, it will be  hard to take it out.

I don't know why , ever since I join any group build. These kind of misplace parts incident always happen. My last swing wing group build also has this kind of things happen.  I think I am not destinate to join any group build. Big Smile

Posted by Phil_H on Friday, September 3, 2010 12:00 AM

Heya Harshman,

I think if you're happy the way it is, leave it rather than try to take it off and risk breaking something. Smile

Posted by Kugai on Friday, September 3, 2010 12:24 AM

Here are 3 of the 4 contributions I'll be making to the GB.  First, an in-the-box:pic:

066.jpg Macross GB lineup picture by stomper4g

Next, the loose Monster pieces.  The kit arrived this way, but they're all there.  Given the deal I got compared to the usual collector's prices, it was a small price to pay for a kit I got with the intention to build ( not just collect and never open ).

067.jpg loose parts picture by stomper4g

068.jpg

I'm throwing these little guys in for the fun.  Theyre the same 1:200 scale as the Monster, so I'll have them displayed with it for comparison.

071.jpg

The Glaug on sprue.

070.jpg on the sprue picture by stomper4g

And finally, the Queadlunn Rau that I'll be modifying.  My goal with this one is to remove some details to make it into a reasonably good Queadlunn Rea. 

069.jpg on the sprue picture by stomper4g

My skills aren't up to the replacement of entire body sections for complete accuracy, so what I'm aiming for is removing some of the details with putty and at most carve some sections to reshape them and fill with something like Milliput as the kit allows while trying to maintain as much articulation as possible.

The biggest challenge I see with this one will be adding the cannon.  I'll be looking into whether taking one from a Nasjadeul Jer will work as a starting point or if the whole thing will have to be scratchbuilt.  Either way, the swiveling base hinge for the cannon and attatchment to the interior of the "backpack" will have to be scratchbuilt, which will be a first for me. 

I haven't forgotten about the RVF-25 and Ghost fighters, I just figured I've eaten up enough space for one entry and will show those later on.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/No%20After%20Market%20Build%20Group/Group%20Badge/GBbadge2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Friday, September 3, 2010 12:34 AM

harshman.

If you used super-glue throw the kit into the freezer for a while. Cold will make the bond more brittle.

Pry gently with a #11 and the parts should pop off.

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Friday, September 3, 2010 12:38 AM

Looking at the kits so far entered I think we got most of the available original series mecha covered.

Did anyone enter a Defender? I know we are missing the Regults.

And I guess  I will be doing the only non-combat orientated Macross kit. :P

Posted by Kugai on Friday, September 3, 2010 2:13 AM

Mad-Modeler

And I guess  I will be doing the only non-combat orientated Macross kit. :P

Other than some of the figures of characters and the fan racer you're building, I didn't know there were many kits of non-combat-oriented Macross subjects?

Posted by Cosmic J on Friday, September 3, 2010 6:08 AM

This thread is inspiring much kit envy in me. Tongue Tied

That Queadluun-thingy looks kinda cool. Is the kit still available? I like the Bug-Eye too.

Nice build there, Harshman.

Thanks for the shout-out, Phil H. Cool

Posted by Phil_H on Friday, September 3, 2010 7:34 AM

Kugai
Other than some of the figures of characters and the fan racer you're building, I didn't know there were many kits of non-combat-oriented Macross subjects?

I guess the Angel Birds demo birds and the VT-1 could be notionally considered to be non-combat subjects Kinda splitting hairs there though. Big Smile

Cosmic J

This thread is inspiring much kit envy in me. Tongue Tied

That Queadluun-thingy looks kinda cool. Is the kit still available? I like the Bug-Eye too.

Nice build there, Harshman.

Thanks for the shout-out, Phil H. Cool

Yeh, I'm a bit envious of some of the kits turning up for this build too. Cool

The Queadlunn-Rau isn't currently available but there's a few floating around the Bay at the moment - one of them is sitting at $0.49 with 3 days to go.

And you're welcome about the linky to your build, it's nice to be able to show what it actually looks like when built up. Cool

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Friday, September 3, 2010 7:56 AM

Kugai:

There are also many figure kits available.

I am talking about the following mecha kit, rather new and only available via the makers website and this one:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00186

Will be in my grubby paws within 24hrs.  Toast

Posted by Harshman II on Friday, September 3, 2010 10:47 AM

Phil_H

Heya Harshman,

I think if you're happy the way it is, leave it rather than try to take it off and risk breaking something. Smile

Yo Bro, I got it fix and I guess, I perfect the build. Big Smile

And finally a great goodbye to this group build. And thanks for all the kind comment and help.

Posted by Phil_H on Friday, September 3, 2010 9:19 PM

Nice save HarshmanSmile She looks much better now.

Thanks for joining in the GB, and well done on finishing before the official start date. Cool

I know you said you're not going to do another, but if you reconsider, we'll be here. I'm glad you had fun doing it, after all isn't that what it's all about?

Cheers,

Phil

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.