SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

DML Hetzer w/ Verlinden int., WIP

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
DML Hetzer w/ Verlinden int., WIP
Posted by the doog on Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:39 PM

Hey guys, I got my computer back and all that "downtime" has given me a lot of spare time to put into my latest project; the DML early Hetzer with a full interior and details. Here's the parts:  along with the model is the ABER PE set, a pack of correct early wheels by RJ Products, and the Verlinden interior and engine set...  

Here's one major problem! The Verlinden engine set is not designed to be mated with the interior! Major surgery required! I'll have to saw the back wall parts off of the wall...

...and the resulting sano fit...you can see the walls are still pretty bare... 

In mid-build I realized that my interior references were showing a command vehicle with two radios; I'll steal the requisite exterior parts from the Command model I have in the stash...meanwhile, I've raided the SP box for some radios, generators, batteries, and assorted whatnot. The ammo racks are scratchbuilt and wiring has been added to spiff it all up a bit... 

To be honest, I was really quite disappointed with the Verlinden kit; it's pretty inaccurate as far as I can tell, esp. in the ammo stowage...it had the shells stowed upside-down, and had molded-on straps in wrong places...in the photo I show the wrong shells, and in the racks are the corrected shells. The Eduard Hetzer has additional shell stowage here, but in my reference there's an MG drum magazine holder there, which I built...there's also  the mount for the scissors periscope  on the back wall, and the gun mount.. 

Well, as of this post I've finished the interior and am putting the first coat of paint on it; I'll post more photos soon...comments are welcomed! 

Posted by Brumbles on Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:28 PM
You're a craftsman, Doog!  Gorgeous.
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, May 14, 2007 12:16 AM

Great work sofar Doog.Thumbs Up [tup]

I'm just in the process of building the same kit but without the extras but I do have another one in the stash that I'm slowly aquiring the extras for and I was going to buy the Verlinden interiour.........would you consider the interiour a waste of money?If so do you know who does a better interiour?

Posted by tigerman on Monday, May 14, 2007 12:20 AM
This should be fun to watch. I have one in the stash, sans all the goods you've added. I will be watching for any hiccups along the way. Look forward to the end results.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/wing_nut_5o/PANZERJAGERGB.jpg

Eric 

Posted by the doog on Monday, May 14, 2007 12:57 AM
 Comet wrote:

Great work sofar Doog.Thumbs Up [tup]

I'm just in the process of building the same kit but without the extras but I do have another one in the stash that I'm slowly aquiring the extras for and I was going to buy the Verlinden interiour.........would you consider the interiour a waste of money?If so do you know who does a better interiour?

Hi Comet...thanks for replying; I can say that, at this point knowing what I know now (with the research I've done), I wouldn't buy the Verlinden interior--but that's because I couldn't live with having the only view into the hull being through the open hatches; I've cut out the "ceiling" to show off the whole interior, and there's too much guesswork in the Verlinden interior for me to leave certain things "as is"--plus it's pretty basic, lacking radio equipment, fire extinguisher, the scissors thing and other little details. Then again, we have to remember that this kit was released before the whole "slide molding" revolution...

Though I'm not one of those guys who loses sleep over a millimeter off here or there, or a slightly skewed dimensional error, the way they had the ammo stowage configured (upside down!?!? in pairs?!?!) just cried out for correcting. Having said that however, if you are just going to build it with the roof on it, to where you can just see a bit of detail thru those tiny hatches, you might consider it worth it?

The Eduard Hetzer is a lot more accurate and more crisply molded; however the price might scare an American buyer at nearly $70.00; however, with the Pound being worth twice the dollar, you might as well order the "late" Eduard kit and maybe just save the "early" DML kit for a nicely buttoned-up version with some PE? Or just get the Verl. engine for it; the engine is a nice little molding that could spiff up your 2nd Hetzer...hope this helps ya!

Posted by zokissima on Monday, May 14, 2007 9:28 AM
Looks like an interesting project. I'm quite surprised that the two Verlinden sets would not be designed to work together.
Posted by wbill76 on Monday, May 14, 2007 9:01 PM
A lot of detail to pack in there...are you planning on leaving the top hull removable? Looking forward to seeing this one come to life. Thumbs Up [tup]
Posted by the doog on Monday, May 14, 2007 9:14 PM
 wbill76 wrote:
A lot of detail to pack in there...are you planning on leaving the top hull removable? Looking forward to seeing this one come to life. Thumbs Up [tup]
Yes, Bill, the top will be removable to show off the interior work; the engine hatches will be positioned open. I should be working on it now; instead I'm sitting here jabberin'!Laugh [(-D] I'll have some new pics in a day or two, of the painted interior so far...
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Verlinden interiour doog........I'v had my eye on the Eduard late Hetzer and can pick on up over here for about £30 so I think thats the way I'll goThumbs Up [tup]
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.