SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

AIR RACER GROUP BUILD BECAUSE WE FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED

701 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
AIR RACER GROUP BUILD BECAUSE WE FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED
Posted by vetteman42 on Saturday, July 4, 2009 11:53 PM

The Build will start on September 16 2009 opening day for Reno 2009, and close on the closing day of Reno which should be on or close to September 19, 2010.

Now for the rules

AIR RACER CATEGORY

FIRST AND FOREMOST

HAVE FUN

1) Any piston driven aircraft that was or could have been raced from the Golden Age of air racing to present day air racing.

2) Jets will be allowed but only the type currently accepted at Reno in the jet class.

Any non afterburning jet with less than 15 degrees of wing sweep. Examples are Fouga Magister, North American T-2 Buckeye, Lockheed T-33 etc. Currently flying at Reno are an L-29 Delfin, L-39 Albatros, and a DeHaviland Vampire.

3) Fanatsy racers would have to meet rules 1 and 2 but will allow for your own paint scheme nose art and modifications. Make it your own dream racer guys.

4) Crossovers are allowed, but must have racer type markings and paint schemes.

5) Partcial builds will be allowed up to 40% complete to help get those dusty projects off the shelf.

6) Work in progress pictures are a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7) Misc, Stuff. Any scale, after market parts, kit bashing, out of box, scratch building, I guess the sky is the limit here will be allowed.

EXTREME AIR RACER CATEGORY

1) Any aircraft goes here, main thing is to have fun, get crazy if you like, and build your ultimate extreme air racer.   

2) Crossovers are allowed, but must have racer type markings and paint schemes.

3) Partcial builds will be allowed up to 40% complete to help get those dusty projects off the shelf.

4) Work in progress pictures are a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILD ROSTER

AIR RACER CATEGORY

Acmodeler01                     1/48 Tamiya Bf 109E-3 with a Werner's Wings conversion kit to a Bf 109V14 Flown by Ernst Udet in 1937 

Avadon                              1/32 Original Design scratch build Orion XTP-71A Drawings on page 12

Bigfoot01                           

1/48 Accurate Minitures P-51C Bendix Racer. Race # 13 *FINISHED* Flown by Jackueline Cochran in the 1946 - 1948 Bendix Trophy Races. Build starts on page 19.

1/48 Accurate Minitures P-39Q Cobra.*FINISHED* Flown by Jack Woolams in the 1946 Thompson Trophy Race. Race # 75 Phoenix. Build starts on page 17. 

Borg R3 MCO                          

1/72 Revell P-26 Race #6 highly modified *FINISHED* on 12/14/2009. Build starts on page 21

Daddy1                                   

1/48 Modelcraft F-82G modified to an F-82R Race # 58 Tantrum *FINISHED* on 11/21/2010. Build starts on page 11.

Daddy1 and Daughter        

Daddy1's Inspiration his Love Bug Emma

1/48 Revell AT-6 " Little Miss Magic" Race #03 *FINISHED* 8/14/2010 Build Starts on page 37.

Fermis

1/48 Hasagawa P-51D Race #77 *FINISHED* Build starts on page 14.

Hans von Hammer                1/48 Revell SNJ/T-6 racer TBA

Jeaton01                                 

1/32 Lindberg Turner Special in 1939 markings. *FINISHED* Build starts on page 18.

Jmabx                              

1/48 Pegaso Howard Pete Race #37 *FINISHED*  Build starts on page 32.

1/48 Academy Spitfire Fr Mk XIVe Cleveland Air Race 1949 *FINISHED* Build starts on page 9.

Jonny Roscoe                          Modified P-51D Strega Race #7

Kermit                              TBA

Kg4kpg

1/48 Monogram AT-6 (SNJ) Miss Behavin *FINISHED* on 10/2/2009. Build starts on page 9.

Lewbud                             1/72 Eduard L-39 Albatros

MIflyer                              1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk. XVIe Raced at Elmdon in 1949

ModelFreak123                       TBA

Mojodoctor                        1/48 Hobbycraft Hawker Sea Fury 

Red 13 Bar                         1/48 Academy P-47D Bubble Top

Simpilot                                     TBA

Vetteman42                      

1/48 Testers Travel Air Mystery Ship *FINISHED* on 7/24/10                       

1/48 Revell P-51D Miss America *FINISHED*

1/48 Testers Laird Solution *FINISHED* on 10/5/2009. Build starts on page 10. 

Wingform84                              TBA

UNLIMITED EXTREME CATEGORY

Fermis                         

1/48 Monogram F-15 *FINISHED* Race # 8   "HOLY MOSES" Build starts on Page 10.

Jeaton01                            TBA

Vetteman42                      

1/48 Testers F-5 Race # 13 Dastardly Dreams *FINISHED* on 9/26/2010. Build starts on page 42.

Thanks to those who went to the trouble to created these for the group. Feel free to pick one up when you join the build.

Randy So many to build.......So little time

Posted by lewbud on Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:06 AM
I'd be game.  If you allow previously started kits, I'll pull the High Planes RB-51 off the shelf of doom.  If not, I've got the RB in the 1979 Michelob scheme.  The What If portion could be really interesting.

Buddy- Those who say there are no stupid questions have never worked in customer service.

Posted by jeaton01 on Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:30 AM

The what If part attracts me, I'm for it.  Let's see, how about a 4360 powered F7F with contra-props?  Or 4 Griffons?  Where is Eddie?

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by Justinryan215 on Sunday, July 5, 2009 7:13 AM
I would be more thanlikeley to get involved...I looooove those GeeBee racers!

"...failure to do anything because someone else can do better makes us rather dull and lazy..."

Mortal as I am,I know that I am born for a day.  But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the Earth...

Posted by fermis on Sunday, July 5, 2009 7:32 AM
 O.K.

Posted by wingform84 on Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:29 AM
I'd be up for this too, I got a few of the old testors air racer kits I've put off building
If you have a deviantart account, come join my model building club! http://model-buildersanon.deviantart.com/
Posted by vetteman42 on Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:43 AM

WOW there is an interest ! Good morning all

Lewbud I think we can allow previously started kits. I want to keep rules to a minium, the goal of the group is fun ya know, and I hope to have input from you guys as far as rules go.

Jeaton01 An F7F with contra-props ? What an interesting concept. I didnt know they were ever raced but found that one qualified at Reno, but didnt race and another, Bu No 80503 " Big Bossman" currantly races the national curcuit. In checking that out I found an interesting fact, the Tigercat was orginally suppose to have the name Tomcat but that name was rejected because at the time it was considered too suggestive. Its interesting what one can find out in this hobby.

Hummmm Fermis what are you thinking about my friend ? Never know what you will come up with ya know.

Wingform84 Great I have a few of those also and Revells 1/48 Miss America, have to find decals for that one the ones in the kit are shot. I also have a few ideas fantasy build lots of scratch building cutting wings and so forth.

Posted by bigfoot01 on Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:27 PM

I never did a group build before, this could be my first!

I already have all of the Testors 1/48 Air racers from the 1930's built and I have Bob Odegards #57 F2G built. I have the "Miss Port of Columbus" F2G, along with two AM P-39Q's that I will build as Red 75 and Yellow 84. additionally I have two AM P-51Cs pre-ordered to build Green 13 and Brown 76. Now I just need to figure out which one(s) to do for the group build!

John 

Posted by fermis on Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:31 PM
 I have no idea yet, my friend. My focus right now is the 104 for the NMF GB. I am sure though, that it'll be fictional. Maybe the "future" of air racing? Just dunno yet.

Posted by vetteman42 on Monday, July 6, 2009 11:10 PM

Justinryan01 Hope you do join the group they are a blast and you can learn suprising amount from some of these guys, I know I have. Of course I have to warn ya these group builds are addicting. I also have a Gee Bee R1 in the closet but frankly and a bit worried about painting the scaloped leading edges.

Bigfoot01 Those are some very nice builds you have there. I have a few of them in waiting and need an excuse to build them. I did build the Howard Ike and really enjoied it and found I can do a bit of scratch building as the landing gear in the kit was ruined so had to build another. I hope we can get this group going.

Fermis you always come up with something interesting so just have to see what you come up with this time Big Smile [:D]

Heres a picture of the Ike I did, the gear isnt perfect I couldnt get my big fingers to do the rear struts, but I think it came out ok. It was a 1/48 Testors kit as I recall.

Posted by frontside on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:24 PM

Sounds like fun.

FYI, I live within a mile of the Reno/Stead airport so I get to enjoy the races every September. I have quite a few digital pictures of current racers from 2007 if anyone is interested. I can send them anytime. Some aren't that great but could be useful for some reference...

Posted by MIflyer on Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:32 AM

Sounds fun! Hopefully I have some room on my plate by Sept. Big Smile [:D]

Kevin

Kevin Johnson    Ypsilanti, Michigan USA

On the bench: 1/72 Fujimi Ki-36 J-BAAR

Posted by vetteman42 on Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:15 PM

Frontside Thanks for your offer. I am sure if we can get this build going you will have more than a few takers. I for one will be looking for currant pictures of Rare Bear, and maybe Risky Business if that one is still flying. Last time I was at Reno was back in 98.

MIflyer I hope you can jump in this as this will be a 1 year build.

Posted by vetteman42 on Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:33 PM

I found this site browsing for good pictures of air racers and thought I would share it here.

http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.com/

I found it interestin

Posted by vetteman42 on Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:18 PM
Thought I would give this a bump to see if there is anymore intrest in this for a group build.

Posted by vetteman42 on Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:48 AM
Thought I would give this a bump. Reno starts the 18th of next month. Looks like we have 5 people interested in the group, anymore wanna jump in ??

Posted by Borg R3-MC0 on Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:06 AM

I am intrested, I have one of those 1/48 Testors (Hawk?) kits in the stash, I think it is the Laird Super Solution.

And I have an idea for a whiff, a racer P-26.

Are cross-overs allowed? (because I already participate in the Whiff GB and I kinda wanted to build the P-26 racer in that GB to)

Posted by ModelFreak123 on Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:54 AM
I'll get a Super Corsair!
josh Peter Griffin: "I have a idea so great that my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." Brian Griffin: "it's just easier to call you stupid."
Posted by Red13Bar on Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:24 AM

This looks good.  I think you can count me in on this one...definetly!Wink [;)]

Cheers,

-Chris

"All Gault planes, begin the operation. Let the victor...be justice." -Anton 'Dr.' Kupchenko Photobucket
Posted by MIflyer on Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:15 PM
 vetteman42 wrote:

I found this site browsing for good pictures of air racers and thought I would share it here.

http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.com/

I found it interestin

Nice link, I bookmarked that! Still interested in this one - just haven't decided what to build.

Kevin

Kevin Johnson    Ypsilanti, Michigan USA

On the bench: 1/72 Fujimi Ki-36 J-BAAR

Posted by vetteman42 on Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:19 PM
Great guys !!!! A couple more and we will have us a build Big Smile [:D] I understand John Penny is flying Rare bear again this year I thought he gave up flying racers.

Posted by daddy1 on Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:20 PM

I'm pretty much involved in my Witchcraft build for a while yet, but with this GB being a 1yr build and allowing for some "what if , fantasy racer", I'd be interested.

Have some ideas for the Modelcraft 1/48 F-82. Maybe turboprop engines? Who knows? The unlimiteds are pretty much limited by thier imaginations. Sounds like fun.

Here are my Williams Bro.s Gee Bees . I've got good aircrew for them too, don't you think?

http://whlswngsthngs.shutterfly.com/

Posted by vetteman42 on Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:54 AM

Borg R3-MCO Crossovers will be allowed and welcome to our group.

Model Freak 123 glad to have you :)

Red 13 Bar Glad you are going to join us :)

Daddy1 Very nice Gee Bees you have there and love your flight crew too :) I would truly love to see an F-82 air racer and would like very much to have you in the group build. I dont think a turbo prop would fit in though, to my knowlage they were never raced, I only know of piston powered aircraft being raced until they came up with the reletively new jet class at Reno. I could be wrong though. What about a Griffion powered F-82 ? That would be too cool looking.

Ok guys I think we have a build so I will finalize the rules over the weekend and ask to get the thread moved to the group build section Monday. If you have any complaints or sugestions for the rules let me know, this is OUR group you know. The build will officially start on September 18, 2009 and finish on the closing day of Reno 2010. I will post when I have a good draft of the rules so you all can take a look and give me some feedback.

Posted by daddy1 on Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:45 AM
 vetteman42 wrote:

Borg R3-MCO Crossovers will be allowed and welcome to our group.

Model Freak 123 glad to have you :)

Red 13 Bar Glad you are going to join us :)

Daddy1 Very nice Gee Bees you have there and love your flight crew too :) I would truly love to see an F-82 air racer and would like very much to have you in the group build. I dont think a turbo prop would fit in though, to my knowlage they were never raced, I only know of piston powered aircraft being raced until they came up with the reletively new jet class at Reno. I could be wrong though. What about a Griffion powered F-82 ? That would be too cool looking.

Ok guys I think we have a build so I will finalize the rules over the weekend and ask to get the thread moved to the group build section Monday. If you have any complaints or sugestions for the rules let me know, this is OUR group you know. The build will officially start on September 18, 2009 and finish on the closing day of Reno 2010. I will post when I have a good draft of the rules so you all can take a look and give me some feedback.

Turbos out, thats ok. Griffon power, hmmmmm. Count me in . I don't think they ever raced an F-82 , but within the realm of possibility. Would allow me to apply some of my hot rod car experience in this build.

http://whlswngsthngs.shutterfly.com/

Posted by vetteman42 on Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:54 PM

Guys I posted a draft of the group rules on the front page so please take a peek at them and if you have any feedback to offer please let me know. Any ideas for group badges would be great too. I am also thinking I should leave this thread here in the aircraft section for a couple more weeks so it will be seen by more people. Oh and feel free to PM  or email me if you dont wish to post in the forum.

Posted by ModelFreak123 on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:47 AM
A Griffon powered XP-67 Moonbat with a bubble canopy?
josh Peter Griffin: "I have a idea so great that my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." Brian Griffin: "it's just easier to call you stupid."
Posted by simpilot34 on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:34 PM
Ohhhhhhh I would surely be interested if I can possibly get one in!!!!!! I have the complete set of OLD Testors air racer series and a couple High Planes unlimiteds, Red Baron, and Rare Bear!!! And the Williams Bros 1/32 Gee Bee Z. SO if at all possible, would love to!!! Will keep track of hte GB as of this post!
Cheers, Lt. Cmdr. Richie "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving the peace."-George Washington
Posted by fermis on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:20 PM
 Man, that's throws out all my ideas. That's OK, I'll come up with somethin.

Posted by vetteman42 on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:41 PM

fermis wrote:
 Man, that's throws out all my ideas. That's OK, I'll come up with somethin.

Well what did you have in mind Fermis ???? Rules arent final ya know

Modelfreak123 and Simpilot34 Welcome and glad to have you in the group.

Modelfreak123 Yeah I think the Moonbat would work, there is a F7F that races :) or at least qualifyed for Reno

Posted by ModelFreak123 on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:06 PM
If the moonbat will work, i'll need a kit. Anyone have a Rareplanes Vac kit? I had a 1/48 mustang, but the fuselage is too warped.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.