SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/48 B-1B Lancer COMPLETE - Pictures on Page 6

104 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
1/48 B-1B Lancer COMPLETE - Pictures on Page 6
Posted by Lancair IV on Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:10 PM

Started working on this a couple of weeks ago.  It's moving right along.  Wings, Stab, and Tail section are primed and ready for paint. Bomb bays are complete less stores. I want JDAMs and the kit came with SRAMs......Why SRAMs?  Gear wells are almost complete. Need to add a few more details. Cockpits have been started.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

Posted by kg4kpg on Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:13 PM

Nice! Yes  Wish I had room for one of those.

Posted by MKelley on Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:18 PM

I have one in the stash and just have not taken the time to build it. The kit was first made long before JDAMs were around. most likely that is the reason for the weapon choice. Look like you are off to a great start, looking forward to the finish.

Posted by fermis on Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:33 PM

nice work Rob!!! Glad to finally see one of these being built.

Sold mine off last year, it's just too big!!!!

Posted by hkshooter on Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:36 PM

I will be watching your progress also. I have one in the stash but it remaims unbuilt because I don't have room for the completed project. Yet.

Posted by Gordon D. King on Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:19 PM

I have two of these in my stash. I had forgotten that I had one as it was packed away and bought one when I saw it on sale. I will be watching your progress and hopefully get enough courage to build one myself. 

Posted by sk3tch on Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:35 PM

Looking great so far!  Loving the details.

Posted by RadMax8 on Monday, January 25, 2010 12:07 AM

I've got one of these as a WIP and one in the box. Both of my grandfathers worked for Rockwell so they had a hand in the B-1. I learned a little tip the other day: Don't glue the center fuselage halves together; rather, glue one half to the tail and nose, then glue the other half. This way, you have a gap to worry about instead of two steps. Good luck on the BONE!!!

P.S. The SRAMs are in the kit because the JDAMs weren't even thought of. At the time of the kit, the SRAMs were the prime weapon for the BONE. Also, sand off the bumps on the aft end of the nacelles. Those were on the B-1A, but not the B. Check out this site for some BONE accessories: Resin Sets for Modern Jets Also, there's A B-1B thread going on at ARC if you're interested!

*EDIT* Forgot to tell you, this looks great so far. Keep at it, I can't WAIT to see it finished!

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Monday, January 25, 2010 7:53 AM

Looking good so far.  Keep us posted as you progress.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by B17Pilot on Monday, January 25, 2010 8:42 AM

Good Looking Bone!  Thought about getting one, but then I wouldn't know where to put the monster after its done (no room for such a big aircraft).

Posted by Fly-n-hi on Monday, January 25, 2010 10:51 AM

Where are you going to put it when you're finished with it?

Posted by deattilio on Monday, January 25, 2010 11:16 AM

I believe I would have to add-on to my hobby desk for a build this big. Looking forward to the finished B-One.

WIP:
Trying to get my hobby stuff sorted - just moved and still unpacking.

"Gator, Green Catskill....Charlie On Time"

Posted by yardbird78 on Monday, January 25, 2010 3:33 PM

Very nice work so far on the BONE.  At the time that kit was designed, Strategic Air Command intended it to be used only for nuclear penetration flights into the Soviet Union.  SAC's thinking at the time for B-52s and B-1s was to use them as stand-off missile carriers rather than free fall weapons carriers.  20 to 30 big bangs per aircraft instead of 4 to 6, (B-52G or H with 4 gravity weapons & two Hound Dogs).  The SRAMS and various ALCMs were the weapons of choice.  When you have 20 to 30 thousand nukes in your hangar, you need a way to get them to bad guy country.

Darwin, O.F.  Alien

The B-52 and me, we have grown old, gray and overweight together.

Posted by troublemaker66 on Monday, January 25, 2010 6:24 PM

Hey Rob!  I have one in the ole stash ( just like everyone else..lol) and have to make some room before I start construction. I have a dumb question...is that PE in the bomb bay or just a sharp looking paint job? I bid on a few PE sets for this kit on Ebay but lost `em..went off while I was at work! Anyways, looks good so far. I`ll be watching ya.    Len

Len Pytlewski

Posted by tempestjohnny on Monday, January 25, 2010 8:36 PM

Great start.  I almost bought one of these over the Christmas break.  I have the B-58 in the stash and I don't know what I'll do with that when I build it.

JOHN

Posted by IBuild148 on Monday, January 25, 2010 8:36 PM

I have this one and someday I hope to tackle it. In the mean time I'll watch you and will be watching for the updates!

IBuildOne48

Teach modeling to youth!

Scalefinishes.com

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/NMF%20Group%20build%20II/Group%20Badge/NMFIIGBbadgesmall.jpg

Posted by Lancair IV on Monday, January 25, 2010 8:55 PM

MKelley

I have one in the stash and just have not taken the time to build it. The kit was first made long before JDAMs were around. most likely that is the reason for the weapon choice. Look like you are off to a great start, looking forward to the finish.

Thanks....That makes a lot of sense.

Fly-n-hi

Where are you going to put it when you're finished with it?

I have a display table where my B-24, SR-71 and B-58 reside.

troublemaker66

Hey Rob!  I have one in the ole stash ( just like everyone else..lol) and have to make some room before I start construction. I have a dumb question...is that PE in the bomb bay or just a sharp looking paint job? I bid on a few PE sets for this kit on Ebay but lost `em..went off while I was at work! Anyways, looks good so far. I`ll be watching ya.    Len

There is some Eduard PE in the wheel wells and a little bit in the bomb bays, but most is paint and weathering.  I purchased the PE from Squadron 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for all the other compliments.  I'll keep posting updates.  the cockpits should be completed tomorrow, them I'll be able to close up the nose section.

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

Posted by Lancair IV on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:15 PM

Cockpits are complete less joy sticks and ejection seats which I started tonight.

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

Posted by IBuild148 on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:42 PM

Rob,

Is that instrument panel PE or did you to the detail? Whatever way it looks great!

IBuildOne48

Teach modeling to youth!

Scalefinishes.com

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/NMF%20Group%20build%20II/Group%20Badge/NMFIIGBbadgesmall.jpg

Posted by Lancair IV on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:46 PM

IBuild148

Rob,

Is that instrument panel PE or did you to the detail? Whatever way it looks great!

Thanks

It is Eduards PE Set.  I painted the base panel flat gray, then detailed the instruments with sharpies and paint.

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

Posted by IBuild148 on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:04 PM

Rob,

Came across this link and you probably have seen it but thought I pass it on just in case.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/kolb1.htm

IBuildOne48

Teach modeling to youth!

Scalefinishes.com

Posted by M1Carbine on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:25 PM

Rob......................WOW!................That CP is unreal, absolutely beautiful.

Bob

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:26 PM

Not a jet guy, but I'm REALLY tempted on this one after seeing what you've done so far...

Posted by tomcat4evr on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:48 PM

its looking good so far looking good Yes

Posted by Medicman71 on Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:02 PM

Looks great so far!! I'd really like to do a B-1B. They even carry the Sniper Pod now for JDAMs and GBUs.

Building- (All 1/48) F-14A Tomcat, F-16C Blk 30, He 129

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:08 PM

Just curious.. Does your kit have the smoke-tinted canopy?  Unless you plan on vac-forming a clear one, it seems a shame to hide what's already hard enough to see in that 'pit...

Posted by DantheMan85 on Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:29 PM

Very nice, looking good so far.   Lancair IV

On my Work Bench: Tamiya Ford GT 1/24

Up Coming: ?

Posted by Lancair IV on Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:36 AM

Completed Ejection Seats

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

Posted by RadMax8 on Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:00 AM

Nice work on the seats. Can I recommend something? On the left side of the bang seat is an oxygen tank (right behind the armrest). The color is green. Paint that bad boy up!

You've really made some darn good progress on this one, I always get giddy when I see emails from this thread. I'm always hoping for more photos!

Posted by Lancair IV on Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:26 AM

RadMax8

Nice work on the seats. Can I recommend something? On the left side of the bang seat is an oxygen tank (right behind the armrest). The color is green. Paint that bad boy up!

You've really made some darn good progress on this one, I always get giddy when I see emails from this thread. I'm always hoping for more photos!

Thanks for the info.  I'm all over it.  I totaly ignored that part of the instructions.  PLUS I FORGOT THE SEAT BELTS......I guess they're not complete.  Back to work.

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.