SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Falklands War GB feeler.

161 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Falklands War GB feeler.
Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 8:50 AM

Both VanceCrozier and myself have been talking about setting up a Falklands War GB to commemorate the 30th anneversary of the war in 2012. This is a very advanced feeler as the GB won't start until Oct. But we thought it would give time for people to finish off other GB's as well as find kits for somthing a bit different.

We think this is a good chance for people to learn somthing about a war that alot of people know little about. But as well as covering the war itself, it will also include the military presence there in the 30 years since. I am about to head down for my 3rd deployment there and it still surprises people that the force there is as big as it is.

So, the GB. It will run from Oct 1st 2011 to June 14th 2012, the 30th Annerversary of the end of the war. For the period of the war itself, which begain with the Argentine invasion of the Falklands and South georgia on April 2nd 1982, you can build anything, in any scale from either side.

So, thats enough waffle. If you would be interested in doing somthing a bit different that doesn't involve the Germans or Americans and learning about a small war that even people in this country under 35 know little about, then let us now.

EDIT: The interest in this has been great, but understandably some people are not sure what eligable for this GB. So i will try and make a comprehensive list which will be added to as i do more digging. Please feel free to let me know of anything i missed.

Great Britain

Operation Corporate April 2nd to June 14th 1982.

Naval Forces- Carriers- HMS Hermes, HMS Invincible. Landing Platform Docks - HMS Fearless, HMS Interpid. Type 82 Destroyer- HMS Bristol. Type 42 Destroyer - HMS Sheffield, HMS Glasgow, HMS Coventry, HMS Exeter, HMS Cardiff. County Class Destroyer - HMS Glamorgan, HMS Antrim. Type 22 Frigates - HMS Brilliant, HMS Broadsword. Type 21 Frigates - HMS Active, HMS Alacrity, HMS  Antelope, HMS Ardent, HMS Ambuscade, HMS Avenger, HMS Arrow. Leander Class Frigates - HMS Andromeda, HMS Argonaut, HMS Minerva, HMS Penelope. Rothesay Class Frigates - HMS yarmouth, HMS Plymouth. Ice Patrol ship - HMS Endurance. Submarines - HMS Conqueror, HMS Courageous, HMS Onyx, HMS Valiant, HMS Spartan, HMS Splendid. Plus numerous RFA ships, trawlers, dispatch ships and survey vessels. Also a large number of Merchant Nay ships taken on trade including cargo ships, liners, ferrys tankers cargo ships and other. The most well known of these being the Atlantic Conveyor, SS Canberra and RMS QE 2. For a full list check this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_naval_forces_in_the_Falklands_War

Air power - RN -  Sea Harrier FRS.1. Wessex HAS.3 & HU.5. Lynx HAS.2 & .3. Sea King HAS. 2,.5 & HC.4. Wasp HAS.1.

RAF -  - From Wideawake Airfield, Accension Islands - Chinook HC.1. Phantom FGR.2. Nimrod MR.2 & R.1. Vulcan B.2. Hercules C.1. Victor K.2. Sea King HAR.3.

Operating from Chile - Canberra PR.9.

The Falklands area - Harrier GR.3. Chinook HC.1. Only one Chinook was used as other 3 were lost with the Atlantic Conveyor.

British Army - Gazelle AH.1. Scout AH.1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_air_services_in_the_Falklands_War

Ground Forces - various unit from the British Army including Scots Guards, Welsh Guards, Gurka Rifles, Paratroop Regt, plus Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, RAF Regt and many other units. Also the Royal marines and the Falkland Islands Defence Force. Equipment included Scimter, Scorpion and Samson light recce vehicles. 105mm L118 Light Guns, Rapier SAM missiles and Rigid Raider's. Plus the usual assortment of Infantry weapons such as Mortars, hand held SAM's, AT weapons etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_ground_forces_in_the_Falklands_War

Since the war a force of approx 1,800 British military personal from all services has been based in the Falklands. Primarily based at  RAF Mount Pleasent there are also smaller stations based around the Islands.

Air power - Fighter cover is currently provided by 1435 4 RAF Typhoons. These replaced Tornado F.3's in Sept 2009. Between 1988 and 1992 this role was undertaken by FGR.2's.In a supprot role, 1312 flight operates a VC 10 C.1 and Hercules C.1.

Since Nov 2007 1564 flight has operated 2 Sea King HAS .3's mainly in the SAR role. Prior to this, 78 Sqn operated 2 Chinooks. 2 S61 also operate from Mount Pleasant operated by a civilian company, British International. These are the main means of moving personel and supplies around the Islands, including under slung loads.

Naval - The main presence since the war has been the ice breaker HMS Endurance. There have been two ships bearing this name operating in the South tlantic region since 1982. The ship which took part in the war carried on operating from the falklands until 1991. This was replaced by the Class 1A1 icebreaker HMS Endurance which remained operating in this region until Dec 2008. There is currently no RN ice breaker operating from the Falklands. Currently, the River Class patrol vessel HMS Clyde is operating from the falklands, she has been there since 2007 and is expected to remain until 2012. The RN also rotates other vessels on an approx 6 month basis.

Land - The British Army rotates units through the Falklands and as well as providing security they also use the remote region for training. The only vehicles are soft skins, including BV 206.

Argentina

Op Rosario

Task Group 20 - ARA Comodoro Py, formerly USS Perkins. ARA Comodoro Segui, formerly USS Hank.

Task Group 40 - ARA Cabo San Antonio.

South Georgia - ARA Guerrico, ARA Bahia Parasio

Falklands Theatre of Operations

ARA Alferez Sobral, ARA Comodoro Somellera, formerly USS Catawba. ARA Isla de los Estado, ARA Bahia Buen Suceso, ARA Bahia Parasio. 

South Atlantic Theatre of Operations

Task Group 79.1

ARA Veinticinco de Mayo, formerly HMS Venerable, ARA Hercules. ARA Santisima Trinidad, ARA Punta Medanos.

Task Group 79.3

ARA General Belgrano, formerly USS Phoenix. ARA Hipolito Bouchard, formerly USS Borie. ARA Piedrabuena,  formerly USS Collet. ARA Punta Delgada.

More to follow.    

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by Hercmech on Monday, January 10, 2011 9:02 AM

Sounds pretty cool...I am too slow to be in two builds at one time.

Posted by CallSignOWL on Monday, January 10, 2011 9:06 AM

I am interested. Were there any other Aircraft that took part? I do have an old MPC kit of the Harrier I got during a model show. Its in 1/72, and specifically for the Falklands.

OWL

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 9:14 AM

As far as the British were concerned it was mainly Harriers, both RN and RAF types. Then there were Sea Kings, Chinooks, though most of these got sunk, and Vulcan bombers.  For the argentinians, other than the 3 i mentioned, i am not sure, maybe Chinooks as well. 

Posted by VanceCrozier on Monday, January 10, 2011 9:14 AM

I'm in, obviously.

Owl, I 'd have to go looking but I think that quick list may be all for the a/c that directly took part in the war itself. As Bish mentioned though, the GB will be open to others that have served/deployed to the Falklands since. We'll have to dig up some online resources & collect them here as well, for anyone who doesn't have quick access in their own resources.

Herc - that's why we're giving you the early heads-up!!

On the bench: Airfix 1/72 Wildcat; Airfix 1/72 Vampire T11; Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister

Posted by jbrady on Monday, January 10, 2011 9:52 AM

Does anyone sell a kit of 1940's Brookland class cruisers? If there is one out there a model of the Belgrano would be interesting.

Posted by VanceCrozier on Monday, January 10, 2011 9:59 AM

I'm an a/c guy, but I found these for USS Phoenix...

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cl/cl-46/350-db/cl46-index.html
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cl/cl-46/700-td/cl-46-td-index.html

Oh, and one in 1/50th of the Belgrano for those with their own lakes...
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ar/cl/50-belgrano-camne/modelwarships-review.html

I'm sure somebody with better ship knowledge could dig up sister ships.

On the bench: Airfix 1/72 Wildcat; Airfix 1/72 Vampire T11; Airfix 1/72 Fouga Magister

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 10:01 AM

I was hopeing some one would think of that. Afraid i have no idea if that kit is out there. But now i know what ship type it is, i will let you know if i find something. Maybe if somone did the Sub that sank her as well, HMS Trafalgar i think, that would be good.

Posted by jbrady on Monday, January 10, 2011 10:09 AM

I just did a quick search... there are a couple of resin Brooklyn class kits. One is Iron Shipright's in 1/350... over two hundred bucks. The other is Either the USS Cleveland or Phoenix by Skywave in 1/700... about $45... don't know anything about either of these companies.

Posted by VanceCrozier on Monday, January 10, 2011 10:16 AM

Not sure about either of them, but I am an aircraft guy. Maybe float the question over in the shipbuilding section, somebody has to know. Iron Shipright = over $200? PLEASE tell me it's $229, Manny would be so happy!

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 10:16 AM

I am correct in thinking the Phoenix and Belgrano are the same ship. I know it was originally an American ship that had served in WW2.

1/50th, i just dare someone to try it lol.

Posted by jbrady on Monday, January 10, 2011 10:27 AM

Bish: You are right the Phoenix and Belgrano were the same ship the US sold it to the Argentines in 1951... I know this because my father served on the Phoenix.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 11:20 AM

Well you got to build that then. Am i also right in thinking it was one of the ships sunk at Pearl Harbour but then salvaged.  

Posted by jbrady on Monday, January 10, 2011 12:55 PM

Bish: Phoenix was undamaged in the Pearl Harbor attack. She participated in the search for the attacking force after the raid... not sure if I want to build. I'm still looking at the P-51 sticking out of the sheet rock where it ended it's first and only flight.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 1:03 PM

I knew there was some connection with Pearl Harbour.  I take it that was the P-51 for the Mighty 8th GB. Well, theres plenty of time yet. As i mentioned before, maybe take a break, step back for a while.

Posted by VanceCrozier on Monday, January 10, 2011 1:04 PM

jbrady

...I'm still looking at the P-51 sticking out of the sheet rock where it ended it's first and only flight.

oops! Uncontrolled powered flight, or fit of glue-inspired rage?! Stick out tongue Finish date lands in 2012, you've got time to meditate on it!

Posted by paul_toz on Monday, January 10, 2011 2:17 PM

I'm interested in this - I did 2 tours down the Falklands on Chinooks.

I've also just started a 1/700 Dragon HMS Sheffield from 1982. You can do all the Batch 42 destroyers with the Dragon kits - even the Argentinean ones that stayed in port for the war.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 2:20 PM

Ye, would be great to have you on board. I take it you are ex RAF. when did you do your tours down there.

Posted by taxtp on Monday, January 10, 2011 2:49 PM

Hi Bish,

I like this idea. The Falklands War made a big impression on me as an aviation mad 15 year old. I'd probably look at a Sea Harrier.

What about submarines ? The General Belgrano was sunk by HMS Conqueror, a Churchill class sub. Not sure if there is a kit out there though.

I found this page useful if you are keen to do an Argentine Navy vessel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_naval_forces_in_the_Falklands_War

Cheers

Tony

I'm just taking it one GB at a time.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 2:53 PM

Subs are deffinatly ok. And thanks for reminding me of the name of the sub. Don't know why i thought Trafalgar.

Posted by paul_toz on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:20 PM

Bish

Ye, would be great to have you on board. I take it you are ex RAF. when did you do your tours down there.

Yes, ex-RAF, I was down there Jan-Apr 2006 and over Xmas 1998(?) - both on 78 Sqn.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:23 PM

I first went down end of Feb 08. I been at Odiham since Nov 07, with JHSU, now JHSS. Pity theres no more Chinooks down there.

Posted by taxtp on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:38 PM

It would have been handy if it was the Trafalgar, could use the new Airfix kit. With regard to the previous reference to Skywave ship kits, I think they're very good. I built a Skywave German Z Class destroyer way back in the Destroyer GB, years ago.

Cheers

Tony

I'm just taking it one GB at a time.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:43 PM

I think i got mixed up because i was lucky enough to spend a week on Trafalgar about 10 years ago and that has stuck in my mind. I am not even sure if Trafalgar was around in 82.

Would be nice if we could get both ship and sub into the build.

Posted by stikpusher on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:50 PM

I will certainly partake in this GB. I have plenty of subjects in my stash, plus I would really love to add and build a Scorpion to my collection. Count me in.

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:52 PM

Glad to have you. I am not 100% certain that Scorpions were used during the war, so i will do a bit of digging just to be certain.

Posted by Helo H-34 on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:53 PM

I'm very much interested in joining in ;

I would like to build a HAS-3 and HU-5 Wessex which landed and tried to recover a reconnaissance SAS party on south Georgia on April 21 .

The italeri HAS-3 kit has markings for a HMS Antrim bird , as for the HU-5 I have a lot of RAF/RN decals in the stash I can use . One of my reference books mentions two Wessex HU-5's [XT464 and Xt473] operating from RFA Tidespring went to collect the SAS Commando's but crashed due to bad weather .

I don't have any pic's of the HU-5 , so I'm not sure of the color scheme , perhaps matt olive drab ?

I suppose the Royal Navy markings would be in black also ?

I'll have to do some more research on the color's and markings for the HU-5 Wessex .

John .

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:54 PM

That didn't take long. Seems 2 troops from b sqn Blues and Royals took part in the war. So your deffinatly ok.

Posted by Bish on Monday, January 10, 2011 3:58 PM

Nice one John. Theres 9 months to do any research you need, so no rush.

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Monday, January 10, 2011 4:23 PM

Im in, Tamiya 1:72 A-4 Skyhowk, gonna see if i can get some Argentinian markings for it.  

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar"

Recite the litanies, fire up the Gellar field, a poo storm is coming Hmm 

My signature

Check out my blog here.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.