SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

IDF GB 4/20/08 - 4/20/09

468 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
IDF GB 4/20/08 - 4/20/09
Posted by fantacmet on Monday, February 25, 2008 12:31 AM

IDF GB April 20 2008 start date(to celebrate the birth of my son.  Deadline is Midnight April 20 2009.

The idea of this GB is for one, to do something a little different in scope, and to learn, and to have fun.  Allowing a started build for obvious reasons but barring any starting or further work on it until the start date to prevent unfair head starts, which would defeat the purpose of a start date.  The long completion time is to allow for those who have any hesitation about joining because they have too many projects.  So they can work on it between other builds, or whenever they feel like it.  So if it sounds interesting don't let the start date get to you, just join.  Complete it as you wish.

Rules:

• 1. Vehicle MUST be in IDF colors/markings.
  • 2. IDF Service, Captured and put into service(lend lease kinda thing), borrowed vehicles, and fictitious "what if" vehicles are all allowed.  This is to give maximum diversity.
  • 3. Model may be no more then 10% completed by the start time.(Exceptions can be made if a partial teardown is going to be done, just ask) 
  • 4. No additional work may be done before the start date.
  • 5. Entire teardown and rebuild of a completed build is permitted, but not just a repaint, model must be torn completely down and significant changes/corrections made.
  • 6. Model may be part of a diorama.
  • 7. No limit on the number of models that may be built for this GB, but only one will be listed in the official list.
  • 8. May join GB without an IDF model in collection or in mind yet, but with intentions on buying one for the GB.
  • 9. Deadline may be extended, with a modified badge for those who complete after the initial deadline but before the extended deadline.
  • 10. Must complete build to claim badge.

1. Fantacmet - Tamiya MUTT W/TOW, converted to IDF

2. RBaer - Megach 6B or C

3. Dostacos - kitbashed supersherman

4. J West - Dragon  Isherman

5. VF8PANZER - AFV Club SHOT Centurian Mk 5.

6. Zero Enna - Tamiya Centurian Mk3 Conversion

7. White_R34 - Tamiya MUTT W/TOW, converted to IDF

8. RBaer - M60, or Megach6 Gimel

9. Andrik - KI-86-M3 w/20mm Orlekon

10. Thunderbolt379 - Merkava

11. OSHER - Trumpeter Ti-67

12. Cosmic J - Blood Hound Hover Truck(WHAT IF PROJECT, IDF of the Future)

13. sgtsauer - Tamiya Merkava

Posted by RBaer on Monday, February 25, 2008 12:01 PM

If this is a sign-up, I want in with a Megach 6B or C, from an Academy M60 and some old Verlinden Blazer packs.

I should be able to post pics by the start date.

Apprentice rivet counter.

Posted by dostacos on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:58 AM

I am in, looking for a 1/48 scale Sherman { think the Brit version, or the one used in Korea should be ok, } BUT I am currently reading Heights of Courage, the story of a unit comander on the Golan Heights  during the 73 Yom Kippur war.

OZ 77 was his unit and it sounds like they were driving Centurions so I may dig one in on the Heights, I think I can find a nice picture of the Golan facing Syria for my diorama. since there is time on this I also plan on digging up a shot of one of their jeeps I have that was parked at the Dead Sea tourist area.

for others, I have read the book once already and one of the things I remember is the Israeli's would "store" their tanks inside buildings, when needed they opened up the side of the building, in a hurry they just drove through the side of the building.

another point was they tried to not drive on the roads too much so they would not tear up the pavement, but they truely HATED driving through the irrigated fields of the kibbutzim {they did not like destroying the pipes watering the crops.

Oh, and you can stand on the Golan and see where Israel stops and Syria starts, that would be where the GREEN stops and the brown starts eek! 

Dan support your 2nd amendment rights to keep and arm bears!
Posted by J West on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:56 AM
I am in with Dragons M51 Isherman
Posted by RBaer on Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:26 PM
Cool. Anyone else?

Posted by White_R34 on Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:23 PM

Confused [%-)]Sorry error on page.

Building the Impossible Is my main goal!!
Posted by VF8PANZER on Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:05 AM

Just picked up the IDF SHOT Centurion today so count me in.

Mark

Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.
Posted by Zero Enna on Saturday, March 1, 2008 12:10 PM

I'm in with a Tamiya Centurion Mk.3 converted to a Sho't-Kal Gimel or Dalet (The latter I hope)... I've already posted a couple of pics about the project, so you can see what I'm talking about. Most regards.

José 

"Vivir venciendo o morir matando"
Posted by stick man on Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:42 PM
I'd do it but I don't know what IDF is.
I'm 15 and I model I sk8board and I drum what could be better.
Posted by White_R34 on Sunday, March 2, 2008 3:30 PM

stick man wrote:
I'd do it but I don't know what IDF is.

IDF: Israeli Defense Force. I have asked the same thing my self; but one thing for all of us new to learning about the IDF can you all, that seam to know about the IDF post a list of markings and what they mean. I my self don't speek Hebrew or Yiddish nore can I read it. So for us that want to build for the Land of our fathers' need's that list of symbols and markings. If not I'm out!!

And to my brothers building here Make a Toast [#toast] Build from your (Hart's and for Honor)

Good day from Vince short for Vincent

Posted by fantacmet on Sunday, March 2, 2008 9:15 PM

There are all kinds of Hebrew translation stuff online.  The biggest problem is, Hebrew does not translate very well to English.  You have words that are so close.  I'm familiar with some hebrew words and their spellings in English, due to being a minister, and trying to correct alot of the garbage that has been largly purposly mis-translated in the bible.  None of it however would transfer over to IDF machines.

Just remember I am allowing fictitious what-if's.  Since right after WWII, Israel was given to the Jewish people so they could have a sovereign Jewish Nation, and since they were a fledgling nation, it wouldn't have been too hard to imagine them refurbing some WWII German Armor, or Russian Armor, repainting it, rechambering it, and putting it into service.  This might actually make for an interesting build.  I might do something similar as a secondary build to the Centurian.  I do have some German armor lying around here. 

So really if someone just wants to take a Post WWII Armor kit, and throw some sand colored paint on it, and some Markings in Hewbrew along with an IDF Logo, hey, no problem.

Posted by stick man on Sunday, March 2, 2008 9:52 PM
I'd do it if I had the monny for a kit and my mom says I'm only alowed 1 modeling project at a timeGrumpy [|(]Angry [:(!]Banged Head [banghead]Grumpy [|(]
I'm 15 and I model I sk8board and I drum what could be better.
Posted by White_R34 on Sunday, March 2, 2008 9:52 PM

I quote you: So really if someone just wants to take a Post WWII Armor kit, and throw some sand colored paint on it, and some Markings in Hewbrew along with an IDF Logo, hey, no problem.

I wanted to do something up to date.  Most of the people in here have never see any thing in hebrew let alone put it on any thing. They need to know what it means some one is going to do just what you said and some one on here will get offended by putting the rong two symbols togethere. Oh and I did ask for a list didn't I? Sorry I'm out. I want to do it right this time (The IDF Means a lot to me)and if I can't I have no place here. Thank's for talking with me. I'm out happy modeling to one and all.Make a Toast [#toast]

Posted by fantacmet on Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:38 PM

If you want to do it right man, I haev no problems with that.  If you want the markings to mean something, tell me what you want it to say and I'll go get it translated.  If you want it done right, I will do all I can to give you a hand.  Some people stand on perfect accuracy that the vehicle had to exist, and thats cool.  Some people don't which is also cool.  If you still don't want in, then it's all good.  The main idea is to have some fun, to build, and get some recognition out for what the IDF is.  Even if it's fictitious it still gets it out as to what the IDF is.  So far I've not seen anyone really interested in doing fictitious.  So it diversifies what is built and gets more people involved.

As for the spelling that was a typo on my part, it's HEBREW not hewbrew.  I was just typing too fast and not paying attention to stuff on screen.  I was watching TV at the time.  Heh.

P.S.

For everyone joining this GB, I pretty much have the badge done, but I'm debating on adding something else to it.  It's a background of a Merkava in Action with the GB name on it.  My question is, should I fade an Israeli flag into the background, kind of a transparent overlay?  Or perhaps if someone can find the graphic for me, do the same thing but instead with the symbol of the IDF?  Or should it just be left as is?  The lettering is in yellow with a black drop shadow.

Posted by J West on Monday, March 3, 2008 12:12 PM
Fantacmet, can you show us what you have for the logo so far? It would be easier to make a sugestion having seen the WIP image. Thanks!
Posted by RBaer on Monday, March 3, 2008 5:56 PM

The Israeli Armored Corps badge is pretty neat looking, maybe faded into the background.....I think the current badge actually uses a Merkava outline.

I may also want to throw in a "What if" build, as a secondary. The Sherman I have in progress as such is too far along but I'll go through the stash, just for grins.

White 34, there's a book out on the later M60 variants used by the Israelis that has a pretty good explanation of current markings. It's by Michael Mass, available from Squadron.

Posted by White_R34 on Monday, March 3, 2008 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info I'll look that up. Here's a site for you.

Main page:

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/

Armor page:

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/kitvehicle.html

I hope this will help any one that need's it.

Posted by fantacmet on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:00 AM

Ok I goofed, it's another type of Tankin IDF colors/markings.  Anyway here is the badge so far.

So that's the badge so far as it stands.  So R34, you in or out?  LOL. 

Also someone had commented they can't join.  There will be plenty of time to join if you like.  You can join at any time, as long as you feel you have time to complete the build.  Hey some guy did a Hetzer build in a weekend.  The article is on the FMS website.  I've build a whole auto kit including painting and wiring, and foil, in one day.  It was tough but I did it.  It also helps when you are familiar enough with them to ignore the instructions.

Posted by fantacmet on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:16 AM

Ok here is a site with English to Hebrew translation.

http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_hebrew.html

As for markings, the IDF, uses a similar system of triangles and dots for regiment or batallion markings.

Here is a link to a forum with links to several pics of that style marking, some IDF some not.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-82842.html

Another link with pics of mostly Merkava in IDF markings.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101396&page=4

Posted by White_R34 on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:34 AM
Ok I'm in I'll join your little band, See you at the front line on 4/20/08. The badge look ok to me. I'll first build a MUTT with a Tow on it. The after that the M113? I have not found just the right one that I like yet, and last some type of BIG tank. I know it has some ball's and chain's on the turret. I will only do what is real. and I can say there has never bean any use of german armor is Isreal! "as I have bean told".
Posted by RBaer on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:43 AM
The badge is totally excellent, IMHO. Bravo!

Posted by White_R34 on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:59 PM

Witch version of the mark. is that in the photos at your links?  I know it's the up to date version I just don't know if it's the II or III version. An it's good to see what the amo looks like as I have some of those types of shells. From a Italeri kit No 6423

Posted by fantacmet on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:44 PM

Honestly I don't have a clue which version it is.  Most of my expertise in the area of IDF, is focused around IMI/Magnum Research.  They make some killer pistols, and one of the best CZ-75 clones on earth in my opinion.  The baby eagle being the CZ clone.  My wife told me that later on this year if I have the $$ to get my Desert Eagle.  HEHEHE WOOT!

As far as German armor being used in Israel, I'm pretty sure you're right.  Never been used.  Maybe around a base or something, as target practice, or a cheap tractor, but I have no evidence or even heresay to support that.  Just possible supposition.  You have to admit though, it would scream Irony if they had used German armor.

Posted by White_R34 on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:40 PM

A bout that tank it's called the Merkava Mark IV.

Image:Merkava4 MichaelMass02.jpg

Here's the full list of Tank's and image with names. This is the Merkava Mark-1

This is the Merkava Mark II

This is the Merkava Mark III

Here's legends-productions full resin kit of the Merkava Mark IV

I can only find the mark IV in a resin kit sorry. I am look to see if there is a mark V (but) I don't think so. Here's a new link of model for you all to and get ideas from. Oh here's a place to get the stock No ot that resin kit from.

http://www.missionmodels.com/home.php?cat=389

Oh and before I show you a new model site there's a Merkave APC/IFV Nemmera

Image:NamerSirpad01.jpg

Now that site. (Middle East Gallery)

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~TANK-GUY/Gallery07.html

As for the Mark V(5) it's the same as the mark 4. I'm still going to do the Jeep MUTT with the TOW. But I'm going to do the Merkava Mark III and if I realy want the Mk 4 all I realy need is the Resin turret not that full kit that's over 100.00 bucks. I have orderd the jeep once it get's here I will post the box art and parts tree. If I'm going to use PE stuff I'll let you all know them.

Thank's for looking-Vince

Posted by dostacos on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:56 PM

ok I just found the unit I want to model either the Russian Company or British Company.....they each had one count 'em one Cromwell tank stolen from the Brits, the first company was named after the tankers who spoke Russian, and the British Company because they spoke, ready for this, English,

The current location of one is in an Israeli tank museum color sand, no markings. They said it might have been in British "racing" greenCool [8D]

This will be in 1/48 scale, if I can find the markings I will do that otherwise it will be modeled after the museum tank.

I will also be doing a Sherman OOB with the markings that it will come with in 1/35 {actually I think I will give it to my son and try to duplicate it with a kitbash of Hobby Boss kits}

after these, time permiting, I will hit a Sho't  especially if I can get the markings for OZ 77 during the '73 war 

Posted by fantacmet on Friday, March 7, 2008 4:20 PM
Ok what kits are you two guys going to use?  So I can put you in the list.

Posted by Townsy11 on Friday, March 7, 2008 6:03 PM
 dostacos wrote:

if I can get the markings for OZ 77 during the '73 war 

Kahalani's tank from The Heights Of Courage?

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."-- General George S. Patton
Posted by White_R34 on Friday, March 7, 2008 7:13 PM

fantacmet wrote:
Ok what kits are you two guys going to use?  So I can put you in the list.

For me the Jeep MUTT with TOW and the Merkava Mark III tank. Oh I'm going to try my hand a putting some men on the jeep, and maybe the tank.

Posted by dostacos on Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:31 PM
 Townsy11 wrote:
 dostacos wrote:

that be the one
Posted by Townsy11 on Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:23 PM
 dostacos wrote:
 Townsy11 wrote:
 dostacos wrote:

that be the one

Great book, I'm waiting till AFV club comes out with their Centurion Sho't Kal 1973 sometime in spring so I can build the same one.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."-- General George S. Patton
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.