Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

G'day from Denver

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    November 2005
G'day from Denver
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, April 28, 2003 12:23 PM
Hi - I'm just getting back into modelling after a 10 year hiatus, and stumbled across this website after reading one of the recent issues of the magazine. I'm primarily interested in 1/24 and 1/25 auto modelling at the moment, but who knows where the future might take me :-)

I'm an Aussie living in the USA at the moment, so have an interesting question...

I'd love to get into airbrushing, especially seeing as the prices here are often much lower than back home! However, most of the hobby compressors over here are single voltage. Since Australia runs higher voltage than the USA, I can't really take these home without spending another $50+ on a decent step-up transformer (and I'm not that keen on running this sort of appliance on a transformer!!!). If anyone knows of a reasonably priced dual-voltage compressor, please let me know. Otherwise I'll probably end up getting a cheapie and flogging it off for whatever I can get before I head home....

Look forward to reading plenty of tips and tricks on here, and perhaps posting some of my own once I get all my kit together and actually make a start!


  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Newport News VA
Posted by Buddho on Monday, April 28, 2003 3:06 PM
Welcome stu
I'm sure there is someone here who can help you with your dilemma, in the meantime, do enjoy this fabulous site!
Regards, Dan

  • Member since
    January 2003
Posted by shermanfreak on Monday, April 28, 2003 6:52 PM
Welcome to FSM Stu. It's good to hear you are back into the hobby. Sorry I can't help you with your compressor question but I'm sure someone will be able to help.
Happy Modelling and God Bless Robert
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 7:09 AM
I'm assuming that Australia is running 220 volts like a lot of the Commonwealth. I have used what is known as a "step-down" transformer - 220 v. to 110 v. - when I traveled overseas with my small Badger air compressor. The transformers are relatively inexpensive and usually available at a electric supply company. Check out the yellow pages in Denver and give them a call. One thing to remember is that you will need to get a transformer large enough to handle whatever compressor you settle on. Therefore you will need to know the wattage of the compressor before buying the transformer.
Hope this helps. I've been a big fan of Aussies ever since pulling a tour in Bangladesh 30 years ago. There for about three months they were the only ones in the country with BEER and SHARED their Fosters!
Dick McC
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 9:34 AM
Fair call, Dick McC. Australia is 220V, so maybe a step-down transformer could be the way to go, especially if you've had no issues with using one with a compressor. By the time I head back to Aus (or perhaps over to the UK next) I'll no doubt have a few electrical bits and bobs I'd like to hang on to!

Wherever there's an Aussie, there's bound to be some beer.... :-) And wherever there's beer, an Aussie ain't too far away - I swear some of us can hear the sound of a tinnie being cracked open from miles away!!!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.