SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

really wierd

2152 views
12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Brooklyn
really wierd
Posted by wibhi2 on Saturday, July 12, 2003 9:08 PM
A few years ago, I got this superb kit of a UH-1B made by a korean company (I think MRC is now selling that kit under it's own name).

Anyway's, I've been decideing when to do this kit and it's finally come time - ahh... a potential razorback machine. As I opened the kit (for the umpteenth time) I pulled out the rotoe blades with the rubber ammo chutes wrapped around the tree. To my horror I discovered that the rubber ammo chutes had melted thier imprint into the rotor blades and basically destroying them. I suspect that the release agent had an adverse reaction to the plastic.

Anyone know where I can get replacement main rotor blades for a 1/35 UH-1B?
3d modelling is an option a true mental excercise in frusrtation
  • Member since
    February 2003
  • From: East Bethel, MN
Posted by midnightprowler on Sunday, July 13, 2003 6:40 AM
I have seen that happen with car s too. The vinyl tires will leave a impression if they touch other plastic. It is a chemical reaction of sorts. Here is what I would do. Lightly scuff the blade where the imprint is, fill with Squadron Green putty, let dry, sand smooth. Presto! Fixed rotor. Hope this helps.
Lee

Hi, I am Lee, I am a plastiholic.

Co. A, 682 Engineers, Ltchfield, MN, 1980-1986

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 1 Corinthians 15:51-54

Ask me about Speedway Decals

  • Member since
    June 2003
  • From: USA
Posted by RotorheadTX on Monday, July 14, 2003 10:31 AM
Yes, this is a known issue with the SEMINAR UH-1 models. I read about it happening to someone else about 2 years ago. Your best bet is to patch up the rotors with putty as best you can.

The MRC kits of the UH-1C are not prone to this problem AFAIK, but I haven't built any of the 1/35th scale helos from them.

SEMINAR also released a UH-1C model, but it is just a re-boxed B-model. I.e. the rotors are all wrong for a UH-1C.

Good luck!!
""Expect nothing - that way you won't be surprised when it's precisely what you get.""
  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Brooklyn
Posted by wibhi2 on Monday, July 14, 2003 11:44 AM
Thanks.
I was kind of hoping not to do that, but have resigned myself to trying to rebuild the lost detail (criemineys, all the damage is at the rotor head connections and reinforcement build up)

BTW, it is the SEMINAR UH-1B kit.

3d modelling is an option a true mental excercise in frusrtation
  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Lafayette, LA
Posted by Melgyver on Monday, July 14, 2003 8:53 PM
The SEMINAR UH-1B kit and the MRC UH-1C kits are totally different molds. I have both and the MRC is a far more accurate kit. My blades were "damaged" too by the ammo belts.

Clear Left!

Mel

  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 5:32 PM
Ooh! I want one of those UH's for a prospective diorama. Where would I find one?
  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Brooklyn
Posted by wibhi2 on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 7:43 AM
I've never seen SEMINAR kits advertised (don't mean they aren't). I got lucky once.

You try to keep an eye on ebay
3d modelling is an option a true mental excercise in frusrtation
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, July 21, 2003 11:01 PM
Hey guys ....THANKS !!!!!!!!! THANKS !!!!!!! THANKS !!!!!
After reading your experiences with the soft ammo belts, I went straight to my Seminar kit stored in the closet, awaiting the day I get to start building it. I had never heard of the problem you described and after checking my kit, I discovered some damage on the sprues but fortunately not on any parts. I promptly put the ammo belts in a sandwich bag to prevent any additional problem. You saved me some big work when I start construction.
Thanks again,
Paul
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, August 10, 2003 11:54 PM
On a sadder note. I discovered that the same problem exist for the MRC kits. They bag the clear parts with the soft ammo belts and I discoverd today that several of my kits were damaged, especially the chin bubbles and green house windows. What a rip!!!!!! I don't see any option (to save the kit parts) other than sanding and polishing. Check your kits!
Paul
  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Brooklyn
Posted by wibhi2 on Monday, August 11, 2003 12:26 AM
That or you write/call MRC and get replacement parts
3d modelling is an option a true mental excercise in frusrtation
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Aaaaah.... Alpha Apaches... A beautiful thing!
Posted by Cobrahistorian on Monday, August 11, 2003 1:00 PM
Hey all,

CobraCompany just released their UH-1B update set in 1/35th. I just got the info yesterday. You may not have to worry about replacing those parts!

"1-6 is in hot"
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, August 11, 2003 6:22 PM
I sent an email request to MRC for replacements last night. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, August 21, 2003 6:35 PM
I just purchased another MRC 'C' model to backdate with the Cobra Co kit and discovered they must have heard about the problems the vinyl ammo belts were causing. The new kit had CLEAR vinyl for the ammo belts .. not the black that was in the original kits and these parts were in a bag ... all to themselves. Cheers to MRC for correcting a problem. Now if I can just get them to replace my damaged clear parts ....
Paul
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS
FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.