Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Moveable Flaps?

2 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    November 2005
Moveable Flaps?
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, March 22, 2003 10:12 PM
On a plastic model what is the best way to make moveable flaps? Without ruining the model?
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Pominville, NY
Posted by BlackWolf3945 on Saturday, March 22, 2003 11:44 PM
Well, I suppose it depends upon what type of flaps they are, plain, slotted, fowler, etc.

I've also thought about doing this type of thing. What I had come up with for plain flaps was to separate the flaps and build up some structure on either end of the flap inside the wing. I would then find some brass tubing and/or rod and construct a simple hinge system.

On either end of the flap itself, I'd attach a piece of rod. Then I'd slide some tubing (which should be a snug fit) over both pieces and glue the tubing to the built-up structure inside of the wing with CA. The rod should remain free to move inside the tubing.

I remember coming up with a couple other ways of doing this type of thing, but it was so long ago that I can't really recall what they were! This method must have been the front runner, 'cuz it's the only one that sticks in my mind.

I'd also be interested in hearing others' suggestions on how to make an active hinge for flaps or other control surfaces.

Fade to Black...
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, March 24, 2003 8:49 PM
Haha, I never thought of making hinges with tubing. Wow, that is a great idea. thanks a lot, I'll definetly try that on my next model!

Rock On

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.