Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.
I had a fairly 'typical' moment of modeling frustration, assembling the fuselage, when the delicate control lines---which fit smoothly and easily the 30+ times I'd test-fitted and re-test-fitted, before---decided to buckle against some invisible protrusion when the fuselage was actually put together. I managed to reattach everything...from a 'distance' with my beloved cross-lock tweezers...but it's not quite as pretty as it was. (I'll spare myself the chagrin of providing photos.)
On a more positive note, the engine is painted and plumbed. I used what has become my 'standard' treatment for these old radials: Testors 'square bottle' steel for the main color, with a thin wash of the same brand's 'lime gold' to give that slightly yellow-metallic 'castor oil' sheen on top. Then when all that is well-dry, I follow with the usual acrylic washes of assorted black/gray/brown as the mood strikes. The p-e ignition harness isn't quite as 'taut' as it probably should be, but here's the end-result:
I went ahead and 'bit the bullet,' starting to sand down the way-too-pronounced ribs on the wings and control surfaces---lower wings done, no pics yet, but it's a significant improvement; I'll post 'before and after' shots (if I remember to photograph the top wing before I 'attack' it.)
The Part p-e set also includes parts for the inspection windows on the wings, meaning I should probably chisel those out and detail them accordingly. We'll see.
I printed my 'custom' decal, haven't sealed it yet, but it looks like it should do nicely.
Thanks to all who've taken the trouble to look in or comment.