SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/48 Tamiya AR-196A with Eduard Details

435 views
7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    April, 2015
1/48 Tamiya AR-196A with Eduard Details
Posted by Wolfman_63 on Friday, February 08, 2019 6:53 AM

Next up is the Tamiya 1/48 Arado AR-196A German seaplane. I will be doing the scheme as one of the aircraft that were used on the Bismarck battleship. The Arado Ar 196 was a shipboard reconnaissance low-wing monoplane aircraft built by the German firm of Arado starting in 1936. To add details I am using the Eduard detail set. The first thing I noticed was aside from a few of the kit parts like the seats and some bulkheads the cockpit is 80% photo etch! There are 3 sheets of photo etch and most are the cockpit. It is taking a lot of time to cut, bend, and place the many parts but it is looking great.
 
You can see all the build photos and follow along in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-arado-ar-196a/
 
 
 
 
 
 

Website:

David's Scale Models - https://www.davidsscalemodels.com

 

 

 

 

 

  • Member since
    March, 2015
Posted by JohnnyK on Friday, February 08, 2019 12:00 PM

Nice looking detail work.

  • Member since
    August, 2012
  • From: Parker City, IN.
Posted by Rambo on Friday, February 08, 2019 12:15 PM
This is looking good looks like the entire cockpit is PE.

Clint

  • Member since
    April, 2015
Posted by Wolfman_63 on Friday, February 15, 2019 1:58 PM

More work done on the Tamiya 1/48 AR-196A float plane.
 I have completed most of the cockpit and installed it in the fuselage. The fit was a little difficult. The top of the cockpit walls fit fine but I had to twist it a bit to align it. If you ever go this route don’t install the cockpit to one side then join the fuselage. Put the fuselage together then install cockpit from bottom. I made a couple of shims to keep the cockpit floor square to the top.
I then started on the engine.  The part with the pushrod’s had one pushrod that was “short shot” in the mold. I trimmed the nub and scratch built a new one using some stock styrene rods. The photo etch details and wiring were added and painted. After reviewing some photos of the real engine I used 32 gauge wire to make the oil return line. I cleaned up the cowl parts (the seams and a little flash) then installed the engine. The photo etch set also comes with the front cowl mounts. It was tricky getting them mounted the correct height so they would meet the cowl edge correctly. Once I finish cleaning the outside of the cowl and the assembly mounted to the fuselage I will be starting on the wings.
You can see all the build photos from the start at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-arado-ar-196a/
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Website:

David's Scale Models - https://www.davidsscalemodels.com

 

 

 

 

 

  • Member since
    April, 2015
Posted by Wolfman_63 on Friday, February 22, 2019 6:51 AM

Lots of work completed on the AR-196A. First, assembled wings and found that the fit to the fuselage has an issue. There is a large gap on the port side. The other side and bottom also have small gaps. These were all filled, filed and sanded. Then the floats were assembled and detailed with photo etch parts. The oil cooler was replaced with photo etch parts and added some more photo etch details to the fuselage.
The rear machine gun was then detailed, painted, and mounted. The dolly was then assembled and painted. I painted the “wood” to look weathered and aged. Painted a brown base, then dry brushed tan and finally lightly dry brushed light gray. Once the paint was dry I used dark brown and black pastels to add weathered and dirt to the surface. Now working on painting the base coat on the aircraft. The first color of the scheme is done. Letting it dry overnight before I mask and paint the other color.
 
Many more photos can be viewed on my blog at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-arado-ar-196a/
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Website:

David's Scale Models - https://www.davidsscalemodels.com

 

 

 

 

 

  • Member since
    April, 2015
Posted by Mopar Madness on Friday, February 22, 2019 8:35 AM

Excellent attention to detail!

Chad

God, Family, Models...

At the plate: 1/48 ICM Fw 126

On deck: 1/72 Airfix Lightning

In the hole: 1/72 Airfix Hunting Percival 

  • Member since
    April, 2015
Posted by Wolfman_63 on Sunday, February 24, 2019 7:46 AM

The 1/48 Tamiya/Italeri AR-196A German float plane is now complete. I added the rigging for the floats and the antenna using EZ-Line. I added the sight glass by using a small piece of acetate. The decals are for the aircraft used on the Bismarck Battleship. The decals were really nice. Thin but not too thin. Slid right into place and laid down nicely. The canopy sections were polished, detailed with photo etch and painted. Aside from a few gaps this went together well and came out looking good.
 
You can see all the photos from start to finish in the build log https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-arado-ar-196a/
 
 
 
 
 

Website:

David's Scale Models - https://www.davidsscalemodels.com

 

 

 

 

 

  • Member since
    September, 2005
  • From: Central Nebraska
Posted by freem on Sunday, February 24, 2019 4:08 PM

Outstanding work!  The MPM kit is in my queue for later this year.  Hope it's half as good looking as this.

Chris Christenson

 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.