SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

WIP 1/72 Academy F6F Hellcat

917 views
15 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:30 AM

Jay Jay

Clever idea using the corregated styrene as a base, it certainly looks the part. I like what you've done with this nice F-6. Well done mate

 

 

Thanks.  A little too much weathering on the deck but still looks ok .  

 

  • Member since
    August 2013
Posted by Jay Jay on Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:05 AM

Clever idea using the corregated styrene as a base, it certainly looks the part. I like what you've done with this nice F-6. Well done mate

 

 

 

 

 

 I'm finally retired. Now time I got, money I don't.

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:42 AM

And for the final reveal!  This one turned out pretty good.  It was a fairly easy build compared to the Italari Spitfire i finished previously. The base is just corrugated Styrene painted with Tamiya Deck tan and then clear coated and hairsprayed than using Vallajo Blue Grey as the final color.  I got a little over zealous with the paint chipping but it turned out ok.  On the next build!

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Northern California
Posted by jeaton01 on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:27 PM

Very nice.

John

To see build logs of my models, go here: http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm

  

  • Member since
    January 2015
  • From: Tumwater, WA.
Posted by M. Brindos on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:11 PM

Okay. I had to look at the scale again...

Nice job!!

I'd put that on a small base, oh yes.

- Mike Brindos

Figure Painting Moderator -- Genessis-Models

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:24 PM

So...She is pretty much done!  Good build, Nice Kit and i think the weathering turned out ok....not too much this time!  I am pretty happy with this one.  The only thing i have left to do is build a base for her to sit on.  Gonna do a WWII Aircraft carrier deck i think.  Ill post those when they are done.  Thanks for all the atta boys and help with this kit. It was fun.

 

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:21 AM

More work on the F6F.  It is starting to look pretty good. Got the clear coating done and the decals. 

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:45 AM

Did some more work on the 'Cat last night....getting close :D

Base Colors laid down...Next will be 2-3 Coats of Gloss Coat (Future) and than decals.  Stay tuned!

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:58 AM

Did some work on the 'Cat last night.  Small steps  :D

Finished painting the prop, ordanance and wheels.  Weathering will be next

Other undercarriage parts painted and started weathering.  Used some Citadel Nulin Oil wash on the parts...It might be a bit much. Ill try and tone it down after attachment to the fuselage.

Bottom of the aircraft. Tried the marbeling technique for the first time.  I think it came out ok.  Good tonal differences and i think it will look better after a good oil wash and some other weathering. 

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:53 AM

dogsbody
Your 'cat is looking great. You mention adding tubes between the cylinders. What tubes and why? Chris
 

The wiring on the engine was lacking OOB.  I added some wiring and some of the pushrod tubes to the engine to add some visual interest

  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Canada
Posted by dogsbody on Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:07 PM
Your 'cat is looking great. You mention adding tubes between the cylinders. What tubes and why? Chris

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

  • Member since
    February 2016
Posted by lowfly on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:21 PM

Got the prop primed 

Also got the Cowling and engine mounted and started the filling process

Trying to get her ready for the IPMS Gateway show in September.  Hopefully i can make it.

  • Member since
    June 2017
Posted by UnwaryPaladin on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:25 AM

Looks great, will be following your progress. Thanks for posting

  • Member since
    August 2019
  • From: Brisbane Australia
Posted by Josh_the_painter on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:04 AM

Lovely detailing work... looking foward to more!

Josh

  • Member since
    July 2018
  • From: The Deep Woods
Posted by Tickmagnet on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:51 AM

Looking good

 

 

  • Member since
    February 2016
WIP 1/72 Academy F6F Hellcat
Posted by lowfly on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:08 AM

This is the new project on the bench.  

This is the engine.  I added the tubes in between the cylinders and painted them black per some reference photos. I also gave it a panel line wash to bring out the fins in the cylinders

Picture of the cockpit. Used foil and tape to make the belts and small squares of lead wire for the buckles. Somepainting left to do then masking it up.

I have discovered MR Surfacer 500 liquid filler. THis stuff is a game changer.  So much easier to work with than the tube stuff for small filling jobs.  I still use the tube stuff for the big gaps but the Mr. Surfacer is awesome.  Highly recommended.

 

MORE TO COME

 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.