SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

need some advise - lysander engine fit - those who have faced an issue like this

341 views
5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    October 2016
  • From: Louisiana Gulf South
need some advise - lysander engine fit - those who have faced an issue like this
Posted by Mrchntmarine on Monday, October 5, 2020 9:02 AM

so i didnt dry fit - guess i should have taped the engine body and tried this - now that ive got it all together the motor wont fit in.  Not sure what to do and looking for suggestons....  Thinking to trim one of the 3 panel joints to slightly open it up a tad, slip the motor in and see if i can close it back up.  If there is a tiny gap, overlay a thin strip of styrene to cover the gap or slip a strip in and patch???  The of course, if there is a tiny gap, then it will fit a little big when placing on the aircraft - agh, a little chain reaction!

 

Keep on building!

  • Member since
    January 2015
  • From: Katy (Houston), TX
Posted by Aggieman on Monday, October 5, 2020 9:09 AM

I recently did the Eduard release of the Lysander, and I had the same problem.  I actually lopped off a couple of the cylinder heads to get the engine to fit into the 3-part cowling. It was still a tight fit, but it's not really visible as to what I did to get it in there.  Your solution will likely work as well; I think I went for the easiest solution given how hot it was at the time I was building my Lysander.

  • Member since
    May 2011
  • From: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posted by Real G on Monday, October 5, 2020 12:57 PM

Can you gently chuck it in a drill and use a sandpaper block to evenly take off the tops of the cylinders?  I had to do that for a 1/32 IAR.80.

“Ya ya ya, unicorn papoi!”

  • Member since
    October 2016
  • From: Louisiana Gulf South
Posted by Mrchntmarine on Monday, October 5, 2020 5:54 PM

thanks both!  im afraid to try and do anything now with the cylinder heads seeing as its all glued up.  If i did, i think id have to bust em all up and re-do.  Think im gonna try to squeeze it in and re-do the seam....  If i had seen this issue earlier i would have sand them down but like i said,  i missed th dry fitting.  Next time ill tape it 1stBang Head

 

Keep on building!

  • Member since
    October 2016
  • From: Louisiana Gulf South
Posted by Mrchntmarine on Monday, October 5, 2020 9:31 PM

ok, so the gap is bigger than what i was thinking.  But, done for now.  We'll see.....

 

Keep on building!

  • Member since
    November 2009
  • From: Twin Cities of Minnesota
Posted by Don Stauffer on Tuesday, October 6, 2020 8:56 AM

This is a common problem for me when working with radial engines.  I use a flat needle file for removing the top of the cylinder heads, little by little, a few mils at a time, going around the engine.  Never failed to get one to fit.  Usually with cowl in the butchering of the head is not noticable.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS
FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.