SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

I opened my B-17C kit- surprise!

483 views
9 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    September, 2012
I opened my B-17C kit- surprise!
Posted by GMorrison on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 4:14 PM

Quite a while back I added the Colin Kelly B-17 to the stash. There was a question posted here about details of the radio operators hatch. Having no clue how the thing worked, and not finding much online, I figured I'd dig out the kit and see if the parts offered any clue.

And there it was, in the bottom of the box. A Maquette B 307 kit, or at least the fuselage halves, bought separately andthe project for which the B-17 was purchased.

I don't know if I'll ever get to it, and the dang thing STILL smells of cigarette smoke from the eBay seller.

But certainly I am pleased I never threw it away.

 

Bill

  • Member since
    December, 2002
  • From: Northern California
Posted by jeaton01 on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 12:15 AM

Nice surprise!

John

To see build logs of my models, go here: http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm

  

  • Member since
    November, 2009
  • From: Twin Cities of Minnesota
Posted by Don Stauffer on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 9:18 AM

That Maquette kit is the worst kit I ever tried to build.  I gave up, and bought a B-17 kit so I can scratch the fuselage and build a 307.  That Maquette kit had fuselage halves that did not match.  The hieght of one side was considerably higher than the other side.  It would take so much putty and filing that it looked like fixing that would change the fuselage contour markedly.

 

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

  • Member since
    September, 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 10:18 AM

I think that's what got me. Maybe it would be possible to cut a strip out of the longitude beltline on one side.

  • Member since
    December, 2002
  • From: Northern California
Posted by jeaton01 on Thursday, October 04, 2018 11:19 AM

I have an Airmodel vac that may be a better start, but it's not that hot either.  Someday.

John

To see build logs of my models, go here: http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm

  

  • Member since
    September, 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Saturday, October 06, 2018 12:07 AM

Bondoman had a thread in "Aircraft". I'll take his model from there. 

http://www.air-and-space.com/Boeing%20307%20N19903.htm

  • Member since
    September, 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Sunday, October 07, 2018 5:45 PM

The 307 did not have turbo chargers, correct? 

  • Member since
    November, 2009
  • From: Twin Cities of Minnesota
Posted by Don Stauffer on Monday, October 08, 2018 8:49 AM

GMorrison

The 307 did not have turbo chargers, correct? 

 

That is true.  The nacelles have to be modified to remove the turbos.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

  • Member since
    September, 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Monday, October 08, 2018 10:56 AM

Don Stauffer

 

 
GMorrison

The 307 did not have turbo chargers, correct? 

 

 

 

That is true.  The nacelles have to be modified to remove the turbos.

 

Don Stauffer

 

 
GMorrison

The 307 did not have turbo chargers, correct? 

 

 

 

That is true.  The nacelles have to be modified to remove the turbos.

 

And also the intercooler cooling air vents, those four slots behind each engine on the top of the wing. The rebuild of the four bottom halves looks to be a little work.

  • Member since
    September, 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Monday, October 08, 2018 11:10 AM

Not the best photo, but these are the remedies I came up with for the poor fit.

The starboard side was larger top-to-bottom than the port side, by about 1/16" right behind the cockpit. They fit together pretty well back at the tail. 

I made a saw cut along a panel line from the upper rear corner of the windscreen, back to the passenger door on the port side. Then I clamped the two sides together and aligned the top and bottom to fit right. That created a spread gap in my saw cut of 1/16" right behind the cockpit, tapering to closed at the door frame.

I glued a shim behind the cut for it's length, to hold the open gap, and then filled it with Bondo.

I also filled the windows, which are rough recesses for no reason I could figure. My decal set from Mike at Vintage flyer has window decals, which is usual in his sets.

There's a lot to do, but one step at a time.

 

 

 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.