Enter keywords or a search phrase below:


4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    June, 2016
Posted by Pwaszak on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 11:13 PM

Hey all,

What exactly does this term mean, and is there a certain technique to it? I've been seeing it a lot as i've been reading up on weathering techniques involving oils.

Thanks in advance!

  • Member since
    January, 2009
  • From: hamburg michigan
Posted by fermis on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:15 AM

I know it as a drawing/shading term.

You roll up a piece of paper into at a slight angle, creating a semi-pointy "stick" and rub it over pencil or chalk/coal drawing to "shade" an area. You can get pretty much the same effect by rubbing your finger over the area.

Haven't heard the term used in modeling at all, but could be an offshoot of that...???

  • Member since
    April, 2013
Posted by KnightTemplar5150 on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 2:56 AM

I suspect Fermis is right. An artist's blending stump is a common tool used to blend colors and smooth transitions. It's particularly good when it comes to shading or soft light effects.

FSM has published a few articles where builders have used stumps to apply pigments to panel lines for pre-shading and weathering effects. A sharp point on the stump gives great control.

I like them for applying metallic sheens to things like the barrel and receiver of an M-16. I pick up a little pencil lead on the stump and use it to slowly build up the look of metal. It's the same as running a pencil along the edge of tank tracks for a worn look, but much softer. Faster than dry brushing and no need to wait for paint to dry.

  • Member since
    June, 2016
Posted by Pwaszak on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 11:14 AM

Thanks for the input guys, when I get home from work I'll post how the phrase is used in a book I'm reading.

  • Member since
    March, 2003
  • From: Western North Carolina
Posted by Tojo72 on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:03 PM
In doing streaking,I believe it is laying the oil where you want the streaks and drawing down a thinner dampened brush,blending,toning down,and removing some of the oils so that your left with a faint streak to your liking.


Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.


By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.