I've been brush painting with Tamiya acrylic paints for a few weeks now and I really enjoy them. I used them to make a pretty good looking F-35 (https://youtu.be/fFx7Q3veOFQ)
I'm currently working on a Bf 109 F-4 trop, I was going to brush paint it with Tamiya acrylics but I've noticed that Tamiya doesn't have any RLM colours. My LHS has the Mr Hobby Aqueous line which has the RLM 78 and 79 I need to complete my Messerschmitt. Before switching to this brand, I want to ask a few questions.
1. Straight out of the pot, are they thicker or thinner than Tamiya acrylic paints?
In my experience, they are roughly the same consistency as Tamiya paints.
2. Since they're Alcohol based just like Tamiya's, can you use X-20A to thin them?
I don't recall every trying that. You will get best results from Gunze's own thinner.
3. My LHS only has Mr Retarder Mild, will this will work with both Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya Acrylic?
I have never tried that product, so I cannot say
4. If Mr Retarder doesn't work, can I use Tamiya Retarder for Mr Hobby's Aqueous paints?
I have not tried Tamiya Retarder with Gunze Aqueous, so again can't say yes or no.
5. Tamiya acrylics adhere really well to bare plastic, do Mr Hobby Aqueous paints have the same "bite"?
Yes, Gunze Aqueous has great adhesion and is more scratch resistant than Tamiya on bare plastic. I actually prefer the line over Tamiya. But it is no longer available here in the USA.
Thank you to those who answer my questions!
PS. All replies that talk about Mr Color Lacquer paints will be ignored.