SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Variable Geometry: the Swing Wing GB

1140 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by Wingman_kz on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:52 PM

Aggieman, how the heck did you get that bird built so fast? Hadn't noticed it before but there' s one hanging from the ceiling at the LHS and I realize now just how big it is. Good work! The camo looks great. And again, congratulations.

I did a little more painting today. Second coat all around and the radome and stabilizer top painted. I think the second coat was a big improvement. The colors are better now. I may have put the parting line for the radome a little far forward but that's what I'm going with.

Funny that you should mention an overspray, that's what I've been considering doing with this build. Not certain but if I do, it will be a medium gray probably. Think there would be any problems shooting Tamiya over Acryll? Windex doesn't seem to phase Acryll but will wipe Tamiya right off so if it goes wrong it would be easy to correct.

Don and Kevin, I can't believe y'all let Aggieman whoop up on you like that. At the rate he's going he'll get a couple more built before any of the rest of us finish one. hehe Although he may be a little pre-occupied now.

Travis, how's the F-111 coming? Your paintwork looks good.

You other fellows jump on in whenever you can. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Tony

Posted by Aggieman on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:24 AM

And I thought it was interesting how you placed the rescue arrow relative to the nose art....  but then again, it might just be my interpretation... Devil

Sheesh, what a dirty mind!  I had not even noticed anything vis-a-vis the rescue arrow and the nose art, but now that you've pointed it out, I have to go ahead and concede that ... yeah, I intended it that way.  Wink

As for the speed in which I completed this build, I guess I didn't really feel like I was going that fast.  When I get going, sometimes I do tend to speed to the end, which is what happened with this one in the last couple of days.

It's also not a fair comparison between my Bone and the others, as they are building the entire kit.  I left off a whole lot of parts, all interior stuff that I reasoned would never be seen because I was closing up all the doors, so why add the extra weight for a ceiling hanger?  As it is it is a heavy build.  I used 10# fishing line to hang it, which I think should be fine but I'm keeping an eye on it just the same.

And in looking at the pictures, I may just go ahead and take it down and do a little weathering on it.  Looks too clean to my eyes.  I have used Tamiya Buff in the past but didn't even think about it for this build.  Good suggestion, if I can build up the desire to take the B-1 down and do a little more work on it I'll definitely give it a light Buff dusting.

Posted by macattack80 on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:48 AM

Pordoi, regarding the radar cross section vanes, I just bent the plastic to shape.  I decided to put the fuel tank in the aft bay because I only found a single photo of a fuel tank in a Lancer and it was in the aft bay and plus, the instructions told me tooBig Smile  I like the way it looks too.  I appreciate the added info though.  The weapons bay of your B-1 looks great.  Nice scratchbuilding.  If I was to build an updated Bone I would attempt to update the weapons bays as well.

Aggieman, Congratulations on the good news!!!!  And also congrats on finishing the Bone.  The camo scheme looks very menacing.  She looks great "in-flight".  Custom decals look good too.

Wingman, The Tornado looks fantastic.  I like the paint sceme.  Keep up the good work.

Kevin

[

Posted by Wingman_kz on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:20 PM

Yeh Aggieman, I was just picking on them. Big Smile My build should be done by now so, I have no room to talk.

Tony

Posted by morefirejules08 on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:19 PM

just a quick check in to say i havent forgotten about the g/b, i've just got bogged down on an A-10 build then i had the bight idea to do a quick build for my new born son that ended up taking a month rather than a week!!!

Posted by pordoi on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:44 PM

morefirejules08

just a quick check in to say i havent forgotten about the g/b, i've just got bogged down on an A-10 build then i had the bight idea to do a quick build for my new born son that ended up taking a month rather than a week!!!

Thanks for checking in.  We've got several works-in-progress that are ongoing and several GB members that are planning to start in the upcoming months.  So there is no rush.  I'm sure that we're all looking forward to following your progress once you get started.  Yes

Don

Posted by Harshman II on Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:53 AM

Hi gus, saw this thread and I think just in time for one of my new completion..

1/48 Academy Bombcat. Took 4 weeks of few hrs daily work..

Posted by Bish on Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:14 AM

That F-14 is a beut. However, the purpose of a GB is to show your build progress and not just a finished model. If you have another swing i am sure pordoi would be pleased to add you to the list.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by raptordriver on Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:53 AM

Harshman! Nice, I am building a F-14A (for this GB) that is from the black knights. The decal sheet shows some greenish color, but I am not sure what it is. What did you use?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

Posted by pordoi on Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:42 PM

Wow, very nice F-14.  Would have been great to see this one get built up and painted from the get go.  If you want to do another, let me know and I'll add you to the GB list.  Doesn't even have to be another Tomcat; any swing winger will do.  But your finished product sets a high standard for those GB participants doing F-14s.  Great job.  And it's loaded for bear!  The JDAMs come with the kit or are they aftermarket?

Don

Posted by pordoi on Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:56 PM

OK, I just updated the face page of this GB with Aggie's completed Bone.  Thus far, the tally is Aggie - 2; the rest of the GB - 0.  Surprise  I'm sure that will change soon.  Anything else up your sleeve, Aggie?   Less than 8 months to go before your serious modeling time is probably significantly curtailed.  At this rate, you can finish 5 or 6 more kits before that... Cool

Posted by Harshman II on Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:56 PM

pordoi

Wow, very nice F-14.  Would have been great to see this one get built up and painted from the get go.  If you want to do another, let me know and I'll add you to the GB list.  Doesn't even have to be another Tomcat; any swing winger will do.  But your finished product sets a high standard for those GB participants doing F-14s.  Great job.  And it's loaded for bear!  The JDAMs come with the kit or are they aftermarket?

Don

Thanks bro for yr compliment.  All the ammunition goodies comes Academy kit OOB. Unfortunately, this is only the good point abt this kit.. Sad  I do not recommend this kit for F-14 lovers if you are a beginner. Their way of construction for this kit is absurd.

Maybe I am interested in building a Mig-23 and will join later... Thanks pal!

Posted by pordoi on Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:48 PM

Harshman II

We're here with open arms if you want to join in.  Especially if you want to build a Russian Swing Wing!!  Whatever  you decide, thanks for the look at your F-14.

Don

Posted by Bish on Friday, July 30, 2010 6:48 AM

Harshman II

Be nice if you can. And if you do i will switch my MiG 23 for a 27, we can have the pair then.

Posted by Harshman II on Friday, July 30, 2010 7:40 AM

Bish

Harshman II:

Be nice if you can. And if you do i will switch my MiG 23 for a 27, we can have the pair then.

I need to see what my LHS offer. I am looking forward the 1/72 Academy Mig-23 or Mig-27 if both not available. Maybe I need to give up the idea Sad

Posted by Bish on Friday, July 30, 2010 7:50 AM

Well you got plenty of time, i am sure you will some across one. I have the old hasegawa so hopeing i can do somthing good with them.

Posted by STFD637 on Friday, July 30, 2010 8:50 AM

WOW! I take a few days off from the site for a family trip to Disney and we have expectant parents, a nice "Bone" in flight and some other really inpressive WIP pics to look at.

Congrats to Aggieman. Best wishes!

I actually finished placing the decals on my Raven a week ago. I will post some pics later today! I do have one problem. Most of the kit has "low vis" markings. Unfortunatly the Superscale kit didn't include a decal for the "in-flight" refueling markings in low vis. I put the original kit one on, which is red and stands out like a sore thumb. I have plans to fix it so we will see how it goes.

More to come.

Travis

"If a lie is told often, and long enough, it becomes reality!"

Travis/STFD637

make an avatar

Posted by Aggieman on Friday, July 30, 2010 9:51 AM

Anything else up your sleeve, Aggie?   Less than 8 months to go before your serious modeling time is probably significantly curtailed.  At this rate, you can finish 5 or 6 more kits before that... Cool

At this point probably not, although I've eyeballed a Trumpeter release, the 48 scale Su24 Fencer.  Problem is I've spent a lot on this hobby this year and that kit isn't particularly cheap.  Pregnant wife + spending a lot of money on hobby = bad.

As for the next few months, I have a few kits on the docket that don't fit this GB - a B-36, a F9F, and perhaps a comparison build of triplets - 3 Bf 110s in 72,48, and 32 scale.  Not sure if I'll get to those or not.

Posted by oddmanrush on Friday, July 30, 2010 10:47 PM

Hi, I realize I'm about two months late to this party but I just purchased Italeri's Tornado IDS "Black Panthers" kit in 1/72 scale. I'd very much like to join, if you'll have me.

Thanks!

Jon

My Blog: The Combat Workshop 

Posted by Wingman_kz on Saturday, July 31, 2010 12:48 AM

Cool, I'd like to see that one built. Been eyeing that kit myself.

Tony

Posted by pordoi on Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:36 AM

oddmanrush

I'd very much like to join, if you'll have me.

Thanks!

Well Jon..... do you know the secret handshake?  can you provide references?  a copy of your c.v?  we might have to take a vote...,  ahh, screw it.  We're easy.  You're in!!   Big Smile  Looking forward to seeing the Black Panther.  Doesn't Italeri also offer that in 1/48?

Front page is updated.

Don

Posted by oddmanrush on Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:16 PM

Thanks guys! As a matter of fact, Italeri does box the 'Black Panthers' kit in 1/48 and I was torn between the two. I just simply don't have the room for a jet that large in the house right now so I went with small scale. Besides, 1/72 is a decent size for a modern jet and its the size I prefer for the subject. They just seem to fit so nicely in your hand. Thanks again! And, uh, now that I'm in.....what's the secret hand shake Cool?

Jon

Posted by Bish on Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:27 PM

Well its not really a handshake. You stick your arms out either side, sort of like wings, and then move them both backwards. But keep that to yourself.

Welcome to the build

Posted by oddmanrush on Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:38 PM

Man, this GB is great. Not only do I get a badge, but a handshake too? Sweet! Oh, and mum's the word Zip it! Any how, I gotta finish up a build for the No Aftermarket GB and then I can tear into the Tornado...unless I get impatient in which case I'll work on them in tandem.

Jon

Posted by macattack80 on Sunday, August 1, 2010 11:38 AM

Harshman, nice looking Tomcat!!!!  We can use it as an inspiration.  I hope you find a kit to build for the GB.

Oddmanrush, welcome aboard.  Looking forward to seeing some progress pics of the Tornado.

I had to go out of town for the past 4 days so I obviously haven't got anything done.

Pordoi, the thickness I used for the radar cross section vanes was .020 from Evergreen.  Just an fyi.  It looked good to me for what it's worth.

Kevin

[

Posted by eatthis on Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:28 PM

this i smy 1st attempt at alot of things decals included heres where the tomcat is atm

the darker gray is xf53 that im using as a primer the wings are almost done i ended up going with xf19 it may or may not be right i just dont know but thats how its staying

snow + 4wd + escessive hp = :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7egUIS70YM

Posted by macattack80 on Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:54 PM

Eathis, your Tomcat is coming along nicely.   As far as the color gray you chose, as long as it looks close enough to you it will work.  Can you get any more pics of the pit? 

Kevin

[

Posted by eatthis on Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:19 AM

macattack80

Eathis, your Tomcat is coming along nicely.   As far as the color gray you chose, as long as it looks close enough to you it will work.  Can you get any more pics of the pit? 

il try to get some when i get chance i wasnt happy with it so iv taken the seats out atm

snow + 4wd + escessive hp = :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7egUIS70YM

Posted by STFD637 on Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:04 AM

Eatthis: I think you nailed the color on the Cat! I grew up around Navy planes on Pt. Mugu. I don't think I saw 1 Tomcat that actually matched another when it came to the color. They were similar but each faded and weathered at different rates. I noticed that once all the planes went to the "Low-Vis" the paint would vary alot. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more.

Travis

"If a lie is told often, and long enough, it becomes reality!"

Travis/STFD637

make an avatar

Posted by macattack80 on Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:40 PM

Ok, small update here.

I got all the SRAM's painted up to my liking and attached to the launchers and then in the bombbays.

[View:/themes/fsm/utility/:550:0]

[View:/themes/fsm/utility/:550:0]

Kevin

[

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.