SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Automotive Group Build Nov 11, 2010 - June 10, 2011

141 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Automotive Group Build Nov 11, 2010 - June 10, 2011
Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 1:11 AM

Welcome to the Automotive Group Build, the group build is open to all cars, trucks and motorcycles from daily drivers to exotic super cars.

The build will begin on November 11, 2010; the day Route 66 was established in 1926. It will end on June 10, 2011 Nicolaus Otto’s 179th birthday (he invented the first practical 4 stroke engine in 1876).

The rules are simple, pick an acceptable subject, have fun and show your work (post photos of your progress). The sharing of techniques, review of the kit, history of your subject etc is encouraged.

The list of potential subjects is long: passenger cars, sports cars, race cars, motorcycles, pick up trucks, vans, commercial vehicles, police cars, fire engines, ambulances, monster trucks…

One off custom vehicles, movie cars and fictional vehicles are fine; this includes odd kits like Hawk’s Wierdos (as long as they are driving a car or motorcycle).

Civilian vehicles used by the military (staff cars, CUCV, Dodge M880 etc) or military vehicles converted to non-military uses will also be considered.

You may build out of box or use all the scratchbuilt or aftermarket parts you desire (or can afford).

Dioramas are welcome if they feature an acceptable subject.  

Started kits are ok as long as there is a significant amount of work required to finish it.

To join the build make a post with your planned entry, please include the kit maker, scale and subject so I can update the roster.

That is about it, I’ve designed this nifty badge for the GB which you may claim once you have posted photographic evidence of the glue hitting the plastic (please save it to your own photo hosting site). Failure to finish your model by June will result in flying monkeys removing the badge from your profile and eating all of your bananas.   Devil

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 1:21 AM

Participants

Aaronw - Lindberg 1/25 Dodge L-700

- Hasegawa 1/24 1975 Lancia Stratos Safari 

taxtp - Heller 1/43 Williams FW-11B

- Hasegawa 1/24 Porsche 962C in 'Blaupunkt' colours

- Hasegawa 1/24 Sauber Mercedes C9 

bobbailey - TBA

MrSquid2U - 1/25 Model A roadster

Scorpiomikey - 1/25 Tamiya Tom's Toyota 84C

Gregbear - Revell 1/25 Roush Trans-Am Mustang

Suppressionfire - 1/24 AMT 55 'Mercury sedan

acmodeler01 - 1/16 Lindberg 1910 Model T runabout

phoneguy - 1/25 Revell 1969 Pontiac GTO

cdclukey - 1/24 Revell-Monogram Bill Elliott McDonald's Ford Taurus

- 1/24 Revell 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT

xradio81 - Revell 1/24 1964 Mustang pacecar convertable

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 1:27 AM

Completed builds

Taxtp -  Heller 1/43 Williams FW-11B  (page 3) 

- Hasegawa 1/24 Porsche 962C (page 5)

- Hasegawa 1/24 Sauber Mercedes C9 (page 8)

Scorpiomikey - 1/25 Tamiya Tom's Toyota 84C (page 10)

Posted by taxtp on Monday, November 8, 2010 3:06 AM

Hi Aaron,

A big thank you for getting this GB under way.I'll support it as best I can.

I'm building a Heller 1/43 Williams FW-11B for the Weekend Madness GB this coming weekend, if you want to allow crossovers, please feel free to include it.

I also have a Hasegawa 1/24 Porsche 962C in 'Blaupunkt' colours. It's started, the body is sprayed and the decals are on. There is no clear coat/polishing, the inside of the body is not painted, the chassis is not painted, the cockpit details are not done, although basic colours are sprayed, the wheels are primed only, tyre markings not done, gearbox not done, assembly not done etc. I reckon there are several weeks, probably a month to go if I were to concentrate on it. It will take longer because I really need a kick in the pants to get it moving.

Once again, if you feel it meets the criteria, please feel free to include it.

I'll also commit to an unstarted build, but I have to think about the subject some more before naming it.

There you go, three entries already :)

Cheers

Tony

I'm just taking it one GB at a time.

Posted by bobbaily on Monday, November 8, 2010 5:49 AM

Good morning Aaron.  I'm in-not sure what I'll be building and when I'll start, but I'm in......

One question-are you going to allow 'dual group build' participation?  Reason I ask is that I will probably do something automotive for the upcoming Weekend Madness III GB this weekend.  Either way, I'm good-I plan on building something for this GB too-too many kits in the stash.....

Bob

Posted by MrSquid2U on Monday, November 8, 2010 6:12 AM

Aaron,

Glad to see you pick this up and run with it! As I mentioned already I have a started project and had been waiting for the "stalled" GB to pick back up? Because of that I've completed a lot already but still have plenty of work to do.

For your consideration to allow entry:

/forums/t/132174.aspx

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 10:18 AM

Crossovers are ok, just keep up with both sides.

Both of the started builds look ok, to me. I have a pair of Lancia Stratos rally cars in about the same place as the Porsche and know the body shell for many race cars can actually be a fairly minor piece as far as construction goes. With all the scratchbuilding being done the rat rod clearly has some good work to go before being done. 

If you are doing a started project and have WIP photos consider reposting some or all of them with a summary here to help people follow the project. That will also make you look like a really fast builder. Big Smile 

I like to tie the start and end of GBs to related historical dates, but as far as I am concerned these are soft dates. Anyone who really wants to get to work before the 11th can, and I won't release the flying monkeys on any slackers until at least June 16th. 

Posted by MrSquid2U on Monday, November 8, 2010 10:34 AM

Aaron,

Thank you (the Rat Rod) and now I just wanna make sure- post the WIP shots here in this very thread? I understand that in my case for instance you'd like to see a condensed version in one post for instance. So, is that correct?

Thanks again,

Don

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 12:55 PM

Yes, show your work in this thread, but I think it would be fine for people to run a WIP thread (or in your case continue) in the auto section as well if they want to. You don't need to do a complete copy of your WIP but I think it would be nice to at least see a post with a good summary of your progress to this point, as if you havd done it as part of the GB.

Posted by MrSquid2U on Monday, November 8, 2010 4:33 PM

29 Model A Roadster Pickup by Revell

Here's a summary of my WIP (see autos forum) so far:

Inspired by the current Rat Rod trend I realized that I was waxing nostalgic for the way Hot Rods used to be built. The way you'd see them before the billet accessories/wheels , total mail order process or ultra high dollar shop built projects that became prevalent from the 90's on. I had a 31 Model A  myself though it never went beyond total beater stage.

So work started by channeling the body down over the frame with new floors, a shortened bed and a modified optional 'track nose' up front.

An "Ardun" which is an OHV conversion for the venerable Ford Flathead V-8 was sourced from the Revell '50 Ford P/U kit and since I still wanted to use that engine for something else I set about to cast up a copy in resin.

Painted and detailed.

While a real wood bed floor was made.

And a "tuck-n-roll" interior fashioned from styrene with gauge bezels inset to the dash.

Up front since the car is now lowered and many things moved around the kit steerable suspension had some components remade.

To get an idea of where it's heading.

More details can be seen over in the autos forum where I'll post my lil baby step pictures. I'll update here as progress adds up.

Glad to be a part of the GB and I look forward to seeing others! Hope you've enjoyed this build so far and comments/critique are welcome.

Don

Posted by taxtp on Monday, November 8, 2010 6:12 PM

Don, that's looking like quite an involved project. I'll bet I learn a thing or two by the time you've got through it.

Having read that we can start early, I've detailed out the BBS wheels for my Porsche. I pinched these from another kit (Revell Jagermeister 956) as the car I am depicting raced with BBS wheels and Dunlop tyres at the Silverstone 1000 in 1988. All other photos of these Joest Porsches seem to show different wheels and Good Years. I've also had to get creative with a couple of decals to match the change in tyre usage.

Cheers

Tony

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Monday, November 8, 2010 7:54 PM

ummm, hi guys, whats a good kit to start with? Ive been building aircraft for a while now, always brush painted them. I did build a motorbike once which was fun.

So yeah im just wondering what a good kit to start with would be.

Interests include.

20's-30's cards (art deco stuff)

late 50's early 60's muscle.

Modern AGM stuff.

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar"

Recite the litanies, fire up the Gellar field, a poo storm is coming Hmm 

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Gregbbear on Monday, November 8, 2010 9:09 PM

Aaron, here is my entry for this GB:

It is the Revell 1//25 Roush Trans-Am Mustang sponsored by Whistler Radar Detectors.  '89 season I think.

I havent' done much as you can see.  The pan and the cage were painted by a previous owner (parts actually came from a Camaro), without having removed mold lines, flash etc.  I plan on adding some AM parts, mainly just plumbing and wiring.

Mike, when you say, AGM, do you mean Australian General Motors?  Just a guess.  If so, too bad, I just got rid of a Pontiac GTO, essentially a Holden.  Seemed like a nice kit, I just knew I wasn't going to build it. 

Thanks Aaron.

Greg

- yat yas!

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 9:21 PM

I'm more of a truck guy so I can recommend the following truck kits (most of these should be currently available)

AMT has a nice 1925 Model T (3 in 1) kit, it can be made into a pickup, or car, and has several hotrod options (says 3 in 1 but actually offers many more options). I've almost finished one as a pickup and it is a nice kit with very few problems.

Lindberg has a good 1934 Ford truck, it can be done as a pickup, flatbed / stake side, tow truck and includes several custom options. Again a nice trouble free kit.

Revell has a 1929 Ford truck, a 1937 Ford truck, a 1941 Chevy truck and a 1950 Ford truck. All of these are really nice kits that offer many options from stock to heavily customized.

If you do ebay Monogram did several 1930s luxury cars, Packards, Duesenbergs, Rolls Royce etc. I haven't built mine yet, but they look good and I have heard mostly positive things about them. They have been out of production for many years but they are not that expensive, I got mine for about $20 each.

Heller did some European cars from the same period, and as far as I know they are pretty good kits. I have a Heller Bentley 4.5 liter and it looks like a very nce but also complicated (lots of small bits), so it might not be the best first kit. I think Heller just re-issued the Bentley though, so it should be fairly easy to find if it appeals to you.

I don't have any personal experience with these but earlier this year I asked for some muscle car recommendations on the Model Cars Magazine forum and I got the following list:

Revell ’69 Camaro Z/28 (includes SS and RS options)

Revell ’67 Chevelle SS396

AMT ’69 Chevelle

AMT ’70 Camaro, Baldwin Motion or Z28

AMT ’66 Nova

AMT ’69 Oldsmobile 442

Lindberg ’66 Chevelle

Revell ’68 Firebird

Monogram ’68-69 GTO

Monogram ’70 Trans am

Revell ’68 Charger R/T

Brush painting may prove to be a problem, I use a brush for a lot of my aircraft, but almost always use a spray can on the cars / trucks. They generally have large flat surfaces that show off any imperfections. If you are going to use a brush, I'd really suggest sticking with an early auto since they are smaller and are a bit more brush friendly.

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Monday, November 8, 2010 9:48 PM

I was meaning this kinda car

AMG?

Ill keep those in mind, I know squadron has (had?) an auburn boattail roadster that i want. Never dealt with squadron though.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, November 8, 2010 10:32 PM

Tamiya does quite a few race car kits, I've only built one, an Alpine Renault rally car but it was one of the nicest kits I've ever built. Of course that is Tamiya's reputation so kind of hard to go wrong there. 

Posted by Gregbbear on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:41 PM

AMG, not AGM... Ah ha.  Tamiya and Revell Germany for those.  If you don't want to paint the body, some cars still come in colored plastic.  If you polish it out, you can get good results.

Cheers,

Greg

- yat yas!

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:46 PM

Cheers greg, the racing circuits called the DTM's? Or is that something different altogether?

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by taxtp on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:09 PM

Hi Mike,

I think DTM is the German Touring Car Championship.

Cheers

Tony

Posted by taxtp on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:11 PM

I haven't worked on the Porsche for months. Since joining the GB, I've done the wheels, and then yesterday sprayed the chassis. Maybe it's the foot in the pants that I needed.

Cheers

Tony

Posted by MrSquid2U on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:23 PM

taxtp

I haven't worked on the Porsche for months. Since joining the GB, I've done the wheels, and then yesterday sprayed the chassis. Maybe it's the foot in the pants that I needed.

Cheers

Tony

And those wheels look nice! Crisp and clean. How did you get the separation between colors? Masking, templates. what? I've handbrushed to do that but your finish looks sprayed?

You keep working or we'll start kicking again.Stick out tongue

Posted by taxtp on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:44 PM

I just sprayed them with Tamiya Bare Metal silver from the aerosol can. The gold colour is also a Tamiya spray can, but this decanted into a bottle lid and brush painted. There is a raised line on the wheels that makes the demarcation really simple, which is my good fortune. The reason I decanted the gold and used that rather than another brand of paint is that I know from experience that it doesn't show brush strokes, and has small metallic particle size.

Cheers

Tony

Posted by taxtp on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:54 AM

Here's the painted chassis. I didn't bother to obliterate the Hasegawa logo, as it's completely inaccessible once the final assembly is done.

I think that keeps the kicking away for another day...

Cheers

Tony

Posted by MrSquid2U on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:16 AM

While the Satin Black looks nice I am not sure that will keep the kickers at bay? Either do more or watch your back side!Wink

Posted by SuppressionFire on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:08 AM

Sounds like a fun GB!

I will post WIP's and enter my AMT 1/24 scale 55 'Mercury sedan. I will get them up on Nov. 11 (Rememberance day in Canada) Then there will be a delay in my start as I have current project to wrap up...Surprise 

Cool badge BTW~ Henry Ford said 'You can buy a car in any color...as long as it was black!'

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by taxtp on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:47 AM

Anything that gives you a sore backside is bad...

so, I've bowed to the pressure.

Checking the one photo I have of this car, it doesn't show any tyre markings, although the photo was obviously taken with the car in motion, the wheel may have been rotating too quickly for the shutter speed of the camera. Anyway, based on this I've left them off. I've stuffed the brake rotors into the wheels and attached the wheels to the chassis. It's interesting to note that Hasegawa have done reasonable brake rotors, but there is no sign of a caliper anywhere. With these wheels, it's invisible anyway. I've also attached the rear tow away hook.

I was actually quite proud of the rotors. I used Studio 27 etched metal liners for them, and scored them in a rotary way to represent brake wear. A nice wash and it all came out well, but you can't see them now.

I've also done the headlight inserts tonight. When I joined this GB, they were just flat black. I've finished the detail work on them although you may still see the gleam of wet Superset around the Shell decals.

I've also primed some Studio 27 etched seat belts, as they would be obvious if missing. They're in the garage drying, so photos next time.

Welcome to the GB Suppressionfire !

Cheers

Tony

Posted by MrSquid2U on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:23 AM

Way to keep ahead of the kicks Tony!

I had to laugh when you said you were proud of the rotors which now don't show!Wink Hey, but the rest is looking good!

Posted by taxtp on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:49 PM

I actually test fitted the rotors before I did any work on them, and realised that they wouldn't show. However, I thought it would be a good opportunity to refine my technique on them.

The only feedback I could give is that the Studio 27 etched metal is very hard, and difficult to score (or bend). Brass would be easier. I'm sure that annealing it would make it easier to bend, I'm not so sure about scoring though. Maybe I should have tried that too !

After my last post, I went to work on the steering wheel and dashboard. Bitter experience tells me that the dash is very difficult to see once the car is 'closed up', so I've just gone as per the kit instructions, no additional effort expended !

I'll take some pics later on today.

I've also given the body a wash in preparation for giving it some clear coats tonight. I'll use the time I spend on the Weekend Madness GB this weekend to let it harden.

Cheers

Tony

Posted by Aaronw on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:23 PM

There is some nice work already going. I did get some primer on the L-700's cab yesterday, but tommorrow will be the first real day of working on the kit. I did take some photos before doing anything to the kit, I just haven't had the chance to download them yet. 

SuppressionFire

Sounds like a fun GB!

I will post WIP's and enter my AMT 1/24 scale 55 'Mercury sedan. I will get them up on Nov. 11 (Rememberance day in Canada) Then there will be a delay in my start as I have current project to wrap up...Surprise 

Cool badge BTW~ Henry Ford said 'You can buy a car in any color...as long as it was black!'

Glad to see you decided to join us, I'll add you to the front page.

I know you mentioned in the other post about being unsure of the time frame. The end date is soft  so there is a little wiggle room. If this is still going strong as we approach June, I would be fine with an extension or even a part 2. I just don't want to be on the hook runninng the thing for a full year if it peters out in a few months. So far it looks like it is off to a good start. Toast

Posted by taxtp on Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

Tonight's update : I've gloss coated the body, this will now be left to dry over the weekend before I touch it again.

Here's a photo of the completed dashboard and steering wheel.

I might go quiet on this build for a couple of days as I do another kit for the weekend Madness GB, but since it's a car I'll post here too :)

Cheers

Tony

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.