SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Trumpeter F-105G-Almost ready to throw in the towel?

18 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Trumpeter F-105G-Almost ready to throw in the towel?
Posted by jimbot58 on Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:29 AM

I started with this kit when i spotted it on sale and thought it would be a good companion for my F-4G Phantom. When I began to assemble the cockpit, I realized the kit supplied decals for the instrument panels were too large and I just wasn't happy with them. A quick check on the net found an Eduard PE kit for this kit and placed my order.

I also realized the kit came with a full sheet of decals for not only the plane, but also the underwing pylons and weapons! Unfortunately Trumpeter provided no guide for the placement of these decals, something that has been noted in several online reviews of this kit. Days of research did little to help and finally turned here for help. A kind soul here had recently built a 1/32nd scale Trumpeter kit and made photocopies of his decal guide for me! That problem solved and I again thank the member here for for that!

When the parts arrived, I happily began assembling some of the PE parts, and I also removed the control sticks from the cockpit tub, and dropped it into some Pollyscale EZ-lift off. In the mean time, I managed to damage a couple of the PE parts in my over enthusiasm and had another piece launch from my tweezers into the unknown.......I then ordered another set and waited for it to arrive.

The forgotten cockpit tub spent several days in the paint stripper, and when finally remembered and rescued, I found it had partially dissolved and had developed several cracks, and even broken into pieces! Disaster! I tried to fix it by putting it back together and painting it, but it just looked bad. I made the decision to make an attempt at scratch building. 

As I have little experience with scratch building, it has been very slow, with many restarts and redo's until finally the tub with all the bulkheads and side panels have taken shape! Gluing in tiny bits of styrene and brass for the details as copied from the original, and constant test fittings to the fuselage, with many corrections! I am even a bit pleased with what I have been able to produce!

Now I am approaching the point where soon  I can remount the control sticks......if I ever find them! I seem to remember putting them someplace 'safe' but I can not figure just where that 'safe' place was! It must be so safe, that it is hidden even from me! I have searched every drawer, bag, box,  and storage container they could possibly be in and even some placed where they couldn't be! I even hand vacuumed the entire floor around the work area with a net across the hose in case they had been knocked to the floor! But that was in vain! Now it looks as if I may also need to make them as well!

With all these problems, I'm getting frustrated as h*ll!

On my workbench now:

It's all about classic cars now!

Why can't I find the "Any" key on my keyboard?

Posted by Borg R3-MC0 on Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:33 AM

Sometimes a kit fights back instead of beeing build. My solution would be to temporarily shelve it, build something quick and easy,  then pick up where you left with F-105.

Posted by SmartGambler on Sunday, August 7, 2011 6:01 AM

a suggestion never handle PE parts with just tweezers. I always handle the parts with a piece of tape.

Posted by dcaponeII on Sunday, August 7, 2011 6:59 AM

I always use either TWO pairs of tweezers or one pair of tweezers and a #11 blade for my PE.

Posted by MKelley on Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:19 AM

At times like this I find that a large amount of gunfire has a calming effect. Indifferent

Posted by snapdragonxxx on Sunday, August 7, 2011 9:09 AM

Yup.... That's right. On occasion a kit will fight back and the parts gremlin that hides under the bench has a field day.

This is the time when a liberal dose of alcohol and a small explosive charge in the model will deal nicely with the out of line kit and reduce your stress.

Once destroyed, take a day off and start a nice easy one!

James

Posted by Texgunner on Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:28 AM

MKelley

At times like this I find that a large amount of gunfire has a calming effect. Indifferent

Yep, putting about 100 rounds of .308 or 7.62x39 (or, fill in desired dosage) downrange will probably help your attitude quite a bit!  I've found that it usually works for me. ymmv.  Or, barring that, put it aside, and start another one!  That works too.  Smile

Gary

"All you mugs need to get busy building, and post pics!"

Posted by SmartGambler on Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:37 PM

i prefer the 12 gage dbl barrel shotgun for removing turd models from my life

Posted by SmartGambler on Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:38 PM

1 more thing i have never lost a small pe part or model part that is attached to a piece of tape

Posted by snapdragonxxx on Sunday, August 7, 2011 1:19 PM

SmartGambler

1 more thing i have never lost a small pe part or model part that is attached to a piece of tape

How about the piece of tape that the part was attached to?  Indifferent Huh? Zip it!

Posted by SmartGambler on Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:50 PM

my floor is tan and my tape is green i even leave the tape attached while sanding the edges. it gives me something larger to hold onto. i also use the tape to hold very small model parts and then use the same piece to attach parts to be used further down the road of a builds i just tape the part to the inside of the box that comes with the kit  

Posted by traveller on Monday, August 8, 2011 3:00 AM

I am building a Su-15G 1/48 thats beginning to fight me. Since personal firearms are illegal here in Ausland, I will battle on regardless. Then I can start on a 1/48 TSR2Bang Head

Posted by jimbot58 on Friday, August 12, 2011 3:37 AM

Well, I ended up robbing the control sticks out of an old Monogram F-105G kit that I will likely never build. I guess I am a bit stubborn and refuse to give up!

On my workbench now:

Posted by troublemaker66 on Friday, August 12, 2011 8:21 AM

jimbot58

Well, I ended up robbing the control sticks out of an old Monogram F-105G kit that I will likely never build. I guess I am a bit stubborn and refuse to give up!

Give up...and build the Monogram kit. Oh, and don`t feel bad about safely storing things then forgetting where you stored `em...I do it all the time...Dunce

Len Pytlewski

Posted by jimbot58 on Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:48 AM

troublemaker66

jimbot58:

Give up...and build the Monogram kit. Oh, and don`t feel bad about safely storing things then forgetting where you stored `em...I do it all the time...Dunce

You could be right! The raised panel lines are much better than those stupid engraved ones! And if those sticks reappear some time from now, I'm just going to sit and have a good cry!

On my workbench now:

Posted by Bockscar on Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:45 AM

Jim, sit back and laugh....I programmed their train track software....lol....Wink

Posted by Oyster on Friday, July 13, 2012 9:48 PM

Having some of same issues with the Trumpy Weasel Kit...

Did U save the placement diagrams for the decals, if so, could U Fwd a set?

mikefly2@gmail.com

Also, any ideas on how to secure canopies in open position?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Friday, July 13, 2012 11:57 PM

You have the Monogram Thud and you're fighting with a furshinglugeren Trumpy kit?

I'd be kit-bashin' the two of 'em with the Monogram bird as the main... Well, maybe not, since I'd never buy a Trumpeter kit when there's a Monogram kit available... Finish the Mono-Thud, then take the Trumpy kit out and

it...

Now, before I catch hell for dissin' Trumped-upter kits,

Posted by lawdog114 on Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:16 AM

I'm in a predicament with the Hasegawa Zero I'm building.  The starboard fuselage and port upper wing are completely warped and its throwing off everything, especially in the wing root joins.  someone must have stored the kit in a hot garage or something.  I concur that every now and again we get a kit that fights us...even supposed A listers like the Tamigawa clan...

Joe  

"Can you fly this plane and land it?...Surely you can't be serious....I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.