Tamyia IJA KI-46 Completed
Posted by Hercmech on Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:41 PM

Here is my build for the Japanese GB a Tamyia KI-46:

The decals fell apart so I had to paint the Hinomarus: 

And the cat ate the control stick so I had to scratch one

Posted by Khalee2 on Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:44 PM

Very nice what color is that brown.

Posted by jeaton01 on Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:16 AM

Nice work.  The Dinah is such a pretty airplane.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by Plastic-surgeon on Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:07 AM

Very very very nice!!!!!

Can you tell me how you made the Hinumaru's.  I always paint them too (airbrush), only  the ones without the white outline around it.  I tried to paint Hinumarus with the white outline, (see /forums/t/142250.aspx).

The ones you made look awesome! So if you can tell me some tips and tricks....... thanks!

All that scrathing is making me itch!

Posted by Italian Starfighter on Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:18 AM

Hi,very nice building,beautiful aircraft and the hinomaru are perfect.....Bravissimo!!!!Enrico

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tigerman12/ThatsAmoreGBBadge.jpg

Posted by Reasoned on Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:06 AM

Excellent build Herc! Beer  I almost picked up that kit, the canopy looks challenging but your's came out great. 

Science is the pursiut of knowledge, faith is the pursuit of wisdom.  Peace be with you.

On the Tarmac: 1/48 Revell P-38

In the Hanger: A bunch of kits

Posted by MSgtMJ62 on Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:41 AM

Very NICE, Herc!  I'm always impressed with the craftsmanship of your models as well as those of others on here. 

I'm about to start on my Ki-46-III soon - hope it turns as good as this.

Posted by mrmike on Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:00 PM

Ditto on all the very nices...your build turned out great. It's obvious you paid lots of attention to details! I too have this one in the stash, and will use yours as a goal to reach for when I break it out.

Mike

Posted by Hercmech on Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:14 PM

Thanks everyone your kind words it really means alot to me.

I will try to answer your questions as best i can. I am updating from my tab so i cant go back to see who asked the question but here goes:

The upper color is vallejo 825 German pale brown camo (which is supposed to match the correct shade) the bottom was vallejo primer gray. The upper was supposed to be a match for the original color but the bottom just looked right to me. I am sure it is not 100% accurate but it is good enough for me

I painted the hinomaruas using a circle template/ stencil. FirstIi sprayed the white then went down a circle size and sprayed the red. The ones on the side i did the same thing but for them i layed masking tape over the cirlce template/stencil and cut out the tape then layed the tape with the hole on the side and sprayed it like the top. I got a little overspray on the bottom ones but not too bad.

I dont know if that makes sense or not but that is how i did them

Again thanks for all the kind words it keeps me motivated

Posted by Hercmech on Monday, October 31, 2011 8:07 AM

Shameless plug...in case you missed it over the weekend, here is my long sufffering KI-46 that gave me fits but came out ok in the end.

I forgot to add this picture and since I can not find the thread I started asking about how to do lights here is the result I got using Fermis suggestion of heating clear sprue and shoving it in the void then sawing,sanding and polishing the blob to make a light.

Posted by bsyamato on Monday, October 31, 2011 1:03 PM

Magnific work even on the cockpit!! 

Posted by Hercmech on Monday, October 31, 2011 1:29 PM

Thanks bsyamato

Posted by modeler#1 on Monday, October 31, 2011 2:02 PM

Nice job! not my kind of subject though.

On the Bench: Nothing atm

Posted by carsanab on Monday, October 31, 2011 2:03 PM

Hercmech

Shameless plug...in case you missed it over the weekend, here is my long sufffering KI-46 that gave me fits but came out ok in the end.

I forgot to add this picture and since I can not find the thread I started asking about how to do lights here is the result I got using Fermis suggestion of heating clear sprue and shoving it in the void then sawing,sanding and polishing the blob to make a light.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee438/hercmech1/Models/KI-46/20111029-IMGP1145.jpg

lights came out great....which method did you finally use??? actually the whole build came out great!!

Photobucket

Posted by Hercmech on Monday, October 31, 2011 2:09 PM

carsanab

Hercmech:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee438/hercmech1/Models/KI-46/20111029-IMGP1145.jpg

lights came out great....which method did you finally use??? actually the whole build came out great!!

Thanks for the kind words...to make the lights I cut out the ones that were molded on the wings, then I added sheet styrene and painted it silver. I heated clear sprue and shoved it into the gap where the lights would be.

This left a huge blob of melted sprue that I sawed down to a close shape then sanded and polished it to being clear.

The lens was painted with Humbrol clear blue...the other side is red but I dont have pictures of it but it came out just as good as the blue

Posted by Hercmech on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:03 AM

modeler#1

Nice job! not my kind of subject though.

Just move away from the dark side...it's just so much fun masking canopies.Big Smile

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.