SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

HELP!!! Painting a Stick & Tissue Aircraft

32763 views
10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Canada
HELP!!! Painting a Stick & Tissue Aircraft
Posted by Birdgunner on Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:48 PM

Need help with my next project.

I am about to tackle my first balsa stick & tissue A/C in over 30 years, and I have a question about being able to paint the model after the tissue is applied.

Can you paint right on the tissue, or am I better off getting some of the newer monocote type covering?  Or does the tissue have to be treated with anything special for it to be painted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  • Member since
    December 2015
Posted by dcaponeII on Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:50 PM
It's been a long long time since I built stick and tissue but if you finish the tissue with flat clear dope then you should be able to use acrylics to do the painting.
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Northern California
Posted by jeaton01 on Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:50 PM
Are you going to fly it or display it?  For flight, the tissue is still probably the best.  First you glue it on around the edges, then sprinkle it lightly with a mist of water to shrink it down and get rid of wrinkles, then apply butyrate dope, which will seal it and keep it taught.  Most people add the color to the dope, but if you try for opaque colors you will add a lot of weight.  For display there are many new coverings, Monokote works good but there are many new ones that will work better on a small model.  Look into supplies for small electrics and park flyers at a hobby shop or on the internet.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

 

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Canada
Posted by Birdgunner on Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:41 PM

Thanks for the hints so far, should have stated that I am making them strictly for display.  I'll probably be back with a lot more questions, once I get started on this project.

Thanks

  • Member since
    February 2004
  • From: Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Posted by chris hall on Monday, September 15, 2008 3:33 AM
 Birdgunner wrote:

Thanks for the hints so far, should have stated that I am making them strictly for display.  <snip> Thanks

In that case, go for clear dope first, to taughten the tissue skin. Then airbrush with acrylics in the normal way. Since you're not building a flying model, a grey primer over the doped tissue would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Chris.

Cute and cuddly, boys, cute and cuddly!
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Whidbey Island, Washington
Posted by chukw on Monday, September 15, 2008 9:53 AM

For display just paint right over doped tissue.  Take a look at page 1 of my Helldiver thread for some of my flying modles hung from the ceiling.   I generally used Tamiya acrylics.  Cheers!

 

chuk

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Northern California
Posted by jeaton01 on Monday, September 15, 2008 2:40 PM

I agree with everyone that paper and tissue would be an effective method, but I do think there are better alternatives for display, and flying, that have become available recently and will last much longer and be less prone to damage than tissue that is doped.  Here is a summary page, the products from Nelson merit an especially close look.  since no dope is required, I think they will compare in weight to a finished paper tissue covering very well. 

I occaisionally do tissue covering, but it's more for nostalgia for the process  (or is it I am a closet dope fiend).

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

 

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Canada
Posted by Birdgunner on Monday, September 15, 2008 9:50 PM
 jeaton01 wrote:

I agree with everyone that paper and tissue would be an effective method, but I do think there are better alternatives for display, and flying, that have become available recently and will last much longer and be less prone to damage than tissue that is doped.  Here is a summary page, the products from Nelson merit an especially close look.  since no dope is required, I think they will compare in weight to a finished paper tissue covering very well. 

I occaisionally do tissue covering, but it's more for nostalgia for the process  (or is it I am a closet dope fiend).

Hi jeaton01,

You said something about a summary page, don't know if you forgot to put in a link or to include the page?  Would really like to know more about the newer products available as this is a new field for me. 

Thanks

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Northern California
Posted by jeaton01 on Monday, September 15, 2008 11:47 PM

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

 

  • Member since
    March 2007
  • From: Carmel, CA
Posted by bondoman on Monday, September 15, 2008 11:58 PM
 jeaton01 wrote:
Are you going to fly it or display it?  For flight, the tissue is still probably the best.  First you glue it on around the edges, then sprinkle it lightly with a mist of water to shrink it down and get rid of wrinkles, then apply butyrate dope, which will seal it and keep it taught.  Most people add the color to the dope, but if you try for opaque colors you will add a lot of weight.  For display there are many new coverings, Monokote works good but there are many new ones that will work better on a small model.  Look into supplies for small electrics and park flyers at a hobby shop or on the internet.
Really, there's something since monocote and silkspan? Guess it's been a while. Laugh [(-D]
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: Canada
Posted by Birdgunner on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:16 PM

jeaton01

Thank you for that excellent link, it has answered some of my other questions that were hanging around in the back of my mind.  If you have any other ones like that, that have some how-to's included in them they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again...

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS
FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.