SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Something a little bit different...

884 views
4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: United Kingdom / Belgium
Something a little bit different...
Posted by djmodels1999 on Saturday, August 2, 2003 4:46 PM
Here are two pics of a pattern I just completed a few weeks ago for Scale Link, here in the UK.

It's a BMMO D5 double-decker bus used here in 1949-52. The pics only show the main two parts of the shell, but the kit will include a fairly large number of additional parts (individual seats, bulkheads, wheels, axles,...).

For casting, the windows are blanked over with a very thin sheet of plasticard. This kit will be in resin.



  • Member since
    February 2003
  • From: East Bethel, MN
Posted by midnightprowler on Saturday, August 2, 2003 5:35 PM
Way cool DJ! Can't wait to see it finished!
Lee

Hi, I am Lee, I am a plastiholic.

Co. A, 682 Engineers, Ltchfield, MN, 1980-1986

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 1 Corinthians 15:51-54

Ask me about Speedway Decals

  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: United Kingdom / Belgium
Posted by djmodels1999 on Saturday, August 2, 2003 5:57 PM
Lee, that's the thing, it will never be finished... unless I decide to actually build the kit once it is released... The pattern was a pig to build, so I might wait a couple of decades before I actually do anything with the kit! lol
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, August 2, 2003 5:59 PM
How in the world do you go about starting something like that? I'd be lost, Whats the process of turning your master model into a production run.
  • Member since
    December 2002
  • From: United Kingdom / Belgium
Posted by djmodels1999 on Sunday, August 3, 2003 12:51 AM
Colin, my 'job' ends here, at this stage when the various parts that will make up the kit are done. Next, the pattern is sent to the customer who will organise the making of the molds and the casting. The kit normaly get released within a few months, in this case probably in September in time for the EuroMilitaire show.

This was indeed a hard one to do, because of the curves all over. The client originaly wanted the main body in various flat panels (sides, front, back, top and floor/chassis) but that got me nowhere in this case, because I just could not get the parts to line up properly and get decent joints. This kit should have been white metal. We changed the plans and switched to resin so that I could get this body in two main shells instead.

Thankfully, I had excellent drawings, plus numerous pictures of the bus.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS
FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.