Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Sand paper "Tool"

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    April 2003
  • From: Savannah, GA USA
Sand paper "Tool"
Posted by Bones-coa on Monday, January 12, 2004 10:34 PM
Modelers, I find it sometimes frustrating working with fine sandpaper and emery paper. At times, I keep invisioning a small tool with a rectangular end that could somehow hold a small piece of sandpaper around it's shape. Is there such a tool or am I dreaming? If I am dreaming, what can I do that might be just as good? My fingers are somtimes just too big to hold a small peice of sandpaper.

Dana F On the bench: Tamiya DO335B-2 with LOTS of Aires stuff (On Hold) Trumpeter A-10 with LOTS and LOTS of aftermarket goodies! (On Hold) Tamiya 240ZG (In work)
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Monday, January 12, 2004 10:43 PM

Tools like that exist, atleast over here. Let me try to describe the few I know off.

1.) Sanding blocks, those are like rectangular stones and come in different grids.
2.) Plastic sticks where the sandpaper wraps over one end, if paper is finished peel off and apply a new one.
3.) Sand paper handles, 3 to a set in different size and angles the handles got a jelly like substance attached that is sticky. Apply paper cut to size, when finished rip off, moisten gel and add new paper.
4.) Home made sanding sticks, I use different things from wood dowels to plastic rods, apply sandpaper with white glue, when finished rip off wash glue off and redo. Whatever fits in size and diameter will get sandpaper stuck to it.
Big Smile [:D]

No. 4 is a good method for hard to reach spaces or where you need an exact fit of the sanding material.

In addition to that I use fabric backed sandpaper or 3m sanding foam blocks.

Hope this helps.
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 10:59 AM
Try the "Swanny Sander". It consists of a cheap electric toothbrush ($5-$6) and suppergluing a piece of wet/dry sandpaper to the tip (minus the bristles). YOu buy extra heads for different grit sandpapaer.

I have one, though I don't have a "rough sandpaper attachement" yet.
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 8:04 PM
That;'s what a good supply of Balsa/Basswood strips are for, as well as all the odd pieces of Evergreen & Plastruct .... rounds & half-rounds & squares & angles & etc. Either pin or glue your little piece of paper to right shape & go for it .... lots cheaper than tools ...
  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 11:58 PM
To add to the good suggestions above, I have several of the 'white' pencil erasers in my desk drawer. I often use this to wrap sandpaper around as well (just wrap it around and put a little CA on the end to hold it together (like wrapping a Christmas present).

You can also cut the eraser into different shapes to satisfy your need.

  • Member since
    November 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, January 15, 2004 8:06 AM
Emery boards. They can be cut to any width, the end can be reshaped, bent to almost any angle, and even broken and CA'd into an 'L' shape. I find them to fit just about anywhere. If you need extra fine sanding then glue on a piece of #600 or what ever.

If you "borrow" one of the wife's you may want to hide it and blame the cat/dog for its disappearance. Big Smile [:D]

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.