SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Prototype Aircraft GB

173 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by TREYZX10R on Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:42 PM

Bish thanks yea it got ugly quick ,the pic I mean;)

Waynec looking forward to seeing the start of that kit !

PaperPanzer nice save with the sprue! Try some black for some contrast or maybe a very dark green?

Well both canopies are a mismold ! The Supersonic one is really bad

The other only the ends are missing so I'm stuck with that

I cut off the ends

Made some new ends from an old vac canopy scrap

Not great but once I add some canopy glue the seams will be gone

The basic build is ready for some paint

Posted by PaperPanzer on Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:35 PM

Thanks for the idea, waiting for some more...

I'm glad I am not tackling that kit! Canopy Nightmare!Black Eye

Looks like the cockpit will be soon lost in the "coal hole" effect...

Auctung! Panzer!

- "And now for something completely different..."- Monty Python's Flying Circus

Posted by TREYZX10R on Saturday, June 9, 2012 7:44 AM

PaperPanzer, thanks

The base black is on and all the seams look tight ,as soon as its good and dry I can mask off the black nose and tip hinges and start spraying white.

Posted by PaperPanzer on Saturday, June 9, 2012 5:40 PM

White paint on Black? In my past experiances, white paint requires an obscene number of coats before in becomes opaque... good luck...

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by PaperPanzer on Saturday, June 9, 2012 10:58 PM

Okay, well I managed a lot of work in today, so, as a result- lots of pics!Tongue Tied

I added Euro Green as an extra camo color, that's what it is now, I can't change it, probably use different colors next time...

The white fuselage ID stripe was a pig to paint, as I said earlier, lots of coats before it becomes opaque.

I decided due to a lack of "postage stamp" style insignia I would mask and paint my own, with dismal results, A lesson to me from now on though... first the tape on a tile ready to be cut-

Outdated ID engineering gear is useful...

While that was being readied, I glued the replacement pitot tube in place-

Now the horror, here we go- Blind Fold

OopsAahhh! Red paint starts bleeding all over the place!-

Well, after that escapade, I cleaned up the mess and touched- up the best I could, the cut out spare decals of Hungarian rudder markings which I had been hoping to save, but they won't fit anything else I would build, so I went ahead and cut them up (probably what I should have done in the first place!Boo Hoo)-

While the touched- up areas were drying, I cleaned up the props and started painting. The front prop cover had it's cannon drilled out, and I am planning to paint it with 1/2 white/ 1/2 black-

Decals applied, I then moved onto the canopys (Not my strong point!!!)-

I think after today's learning I was rewarded, this bird is looking cool and unique! Any and all comments welcome guys!Wink

-More on the way!

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by TREYZX10R on Monday, June 11, 2012 7:42 PM

PaperPanzer  nice paint work its looking really sharp! Yes light over dark is a big no-no but was trying to pull off a trick as explained here in the pics

The base white went down no problems

Was hoping to wet sand it down and have the black undercoat accent the panel lines,epic fail here.

Regrouped and decided just to respray the white put the decals down

Going with a Urethane clear top coat with some fast hardner

Who is that masked Man?

The clear is on and waiting to kick off

Posted by PaperPanzer on Monday, June 11, 2012 10:00 PM

TREY10XR: So I take that your done with this project or no?Hmm Looking good there!

Masked and painted the canopys today, definite improvement from last time...

First, cutting out masks from 3M painters tape on a tile-

Viola!-

So now I am test- fitting the second canopy, and the Dornier is looking better after last time's episode.Big Smile

-More on the way!

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by TREYZX10R on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:06 PM

Paperpanzer Liking the masking job on the canopy,thats some tedious work for sure.

Yes this thing is done!

Connor helped out too

Thanks for all the great positive support,cheers Trey

Posted by PaperPanzer on Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:12 PM

Nice build! Are you thinking of yet another build? By the way, any one of the three badges is yours.Wink

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by PaperPanzer on Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:41 PM

Okay, I finished with the canopys yesterday and started on the landing gear today, this is really shaping up nicely, though a lot of clean- up on small, delicate parts!Indifferent, So I had to go carefully.

Top canopy masked-

And then paint-

While that was drying, I tackled the front landing gear post, look at all that flash!Dead-

Top canopy finished!Propeller-

A quick jump forwards, landing gear finished and awaits paint. I did not have to use much cement on the front landing gear leg because of it's tight fit (Had to file it down before it fit snugly!)-

Well, the bird is almost done... more coming!

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by PaperPanzer on Friday, June 15, 2012 7:56 PM

Well, a lot got done today, and the plane now sits on it's own legs!Propeller

First the bay interior, molded in with the wing, so painting took extra effort and lots of 3M tape.-

Oil stains dry- brushed in, I think I overdid it a bit!Tongue Tied-

Props assembled.-

And then fully painted.-

I painted the wheel hubs RLM 75.-

Props attached!-

A bit of masking, flat black, and a black thread to represent a cable, the bird now stands on it's own legs!-

Landing gear doors, and antennas next! Big Smile

More coming!

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by TREYZX10R on Saturday, June 16, 2012 9:17 AM

PaperPanzer She's looking smart standing on her own legs,progressing nicely now! Yes I 've a Pro-Modeler TA-154A-O Moskito up next,thanks!

Posted by PaperPanzer on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:22 PM

More things done today, installed all the landing gear doors and preparing to finish.

Landing gear doors were finicky without positive attachment points.-

Detail on the primary landing leg.-

These are the final four bits, the exhaust flame hiders.-

Tomorrow will bring paint and final weathering! Big Smile

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by PaperPanzer on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:36 PM

Well guys, the build is completed! I took the Dornier outside and posed it for some pics. As with the Stuka I built recently, I took some "gun cam" battle pics, blurred and made Black and White.

On the box.-

"Gun cam" pics!-

Well, that's it for now, she turned out better than I hoped, though it took some effort. This was a fun kit to build, but I bet there are better ones available. Auchtung! Nachtjäger!

Maybe something else later on, I am thinking of a German "Ural Bomber"...Wink

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by waynec on Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:45 PM
so much for straight forward. first goof. 4 years ago this would have been a major crisis but i have mellowed. i don't pray to make a putt because i may have a limited amount and don't want to waste one. in a like manner i may have only so many crisis to survive so i best hold off naming them for the big ones. so started my ME-264. special hobby model. doesn't have a lot of alignment pins which got me into trouble. got the tail assemblies together, filled sanded and primed. some touch up but they look nice. run over with super fine sand paper and wash and they are ready to install and paint. put 2 nacelles together, 2 halves and a resin engine front. my first time with resin so i cut each one out with a jeweler's saw. they fit fine and put all 3 pieces together. nice tight secure bond of course SINCE i didn't realize the engine front isn't symetrical. plan A was take them apart. that lasted about 10 seconds. Plan B is fill in and redo 2 little holes near the top so i could have the front correct but this would mean eyeballing where all the other nacelle stuff goes. going with plan C which is a big prop hub plus not much detail of the engine front showing plus dark colors plus how many folks even know there was an ME-264. lesson learned. pay attention, especially when working with a smaller company kit.

Никто не Забыт    (No one is Forgotten)
Ничто не Забыто  (Nothing is Forgotten)

Posted by TREYZX10R on Monday, July 16, 2012 7:41 PM

PaperPanzer the Italian scheme really works with this build well,came out real nice!

I've gotten a start on the Moskito and the office is done

Posted by Bish on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:00 AM

Good start TREY, i haven't seen many 154's built on here, i have high hopes for this one.

I should have my bench set up at home by the first week in August so hopefully i will be able to start of the Triebflugel then.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by taxtp on Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:30 AM

I thought I might throw my hat in with this thing. According to the kit instructions, they only built two of them, and this one was 'flown for test'.

Other than that, don't know too much about them but here's my chance to find out.

Cheers

Tony

I'm just taking it one GB at a time.

Posted by PaperPanzer on Friday, July 20, 2012 6:59 PM

Sorry guys, the weather around here for the past two weeks was like crud, and I lacked an impetus to go out to the bench...

TREYZX10R: Thanks! Just wanted to do something different... Wink

Bish: Unfortunately, August to November is my yearly hiatus, so I probably won't see it until November, good luck though!

TAXTP: As far as I know, only a limited number of the float plane version were built, even though they were considered for military use. I never knew about the retractable undercarriage, this ought to be an interesting build...

Auctung! Panzer!

Posted by TREYZX10R on Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:57 PM

Bish thanks,I've high hopes as well. I really want to set the bar a little higher for myself on this one. Really looking forward to seeing the Triebflugel !!

Tony very cool choice for the build, I think they used German DB engines in those or at least license built copies.

I've made some progress on the Moskito,first I had to resize the cannon ports the hole were way out of scale. Next to go were the molded cannon barrels,Ill scratch some new ones to add in the finishing stages .

Next up I had to cut the port nacelle up for the resin mill

Test fit of the wings after removing the warps in both,so far the only big glitch I've run into

Then on to the resin flaps which needed to be trimmed to fit the curves along the bottom nacelle

The gear bays will be detailed next,cheers Trey

Posted by Bish on Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:43 PM

Haveing just finished my Chinook, i am going to make an early start on the Triebflugel.

For the cockpit, which is as bare as they come, i will be useing a PE set for an Me 262. I need to check my spares box, and if theres no decent seat in there, i'm thinking about getting an He 162 seat.

So TREY, you want to set the bar a little higher. Now that i want to see. The kits of yours i have seen deffinatly rate amongst the best on here already.

Posted by TREYZX10R on Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:36 PM

Bish thanks for the very generous compliment Sir! I was so hoping you'de get cracking on this one soon,really looking forward to seeing it build out. I've lots of spare seats if ya ca'nt find one that works for ya let me know.

Basic fuse is done

and after finish sanding the seams and rescibing panel lines

The engine is about ready to mount

Fixed the gap on the rudder with some card stock

Posted by Bish on Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:51 PM

Thanks TREY, i have sorted a seat. I won't be getting much done this week as i have to take my desk apart and move it home. Hopefully by the end of next weekend i will be up and running. Someone on here did worn be about the panel lines not lineing up. I have checked it out and the panel lines on the front section are deffinatly out of line, but only by a tiny fraction, so i will need to deal with that.

And the complimant is well meant.

Posted by Real G on Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:16 PM

Bish, good luck on the Triebflugel!  That was my first Lut '46 model, and also my first limited run kit.  Due to the globby nature of the details, I ended up fillling all the panel lines and rescribing them.  You can't see much of the cockpit once the small, thick canopy is in place, so don't worry too much about it.  A He-162 bang seat with belts, plus a gunsight would be all you really need to add.

I suuppose if the Triebflugel had been built, it would have had a rotor jettison button alongside the seat arm and ejection actuation buttons, like the Do-335 had for its rear propeller.  Still, I can't help but wonder what would have been worse, trying to bail out and seeing the blur of three huge meat choppers going whup-whup-whup right behind the cockpit, or hearing a bang and then seeing your wings flying off at high speed.

On my build, the only other items I added were a D/F loop and an IFF antenna.  Now that I think about it, I forgot to add a radio altimeter.  I figure that bit of equipment would be particularly important for a tail sitting VTOL aircraft.  I replaced the outrigger struts with brass wire as the kit parts are weak and out of round.

I had read that there were propsals to paint the Triebflugel like a tree, for concealment in forests.  That would be an interesting concept.  I painted mine similar to the box art (actually, my kit came in a plastic baggie with a stapled header card), which actually makes no sense at all, as it is a night fighter RLM 76/75 scheme.

I just noticed that the thread reply format has changed, so no piccie until I figure out how to post.  No worries, I'll get it eventually.

“Ya ya ya, unicorn papoi!”

Posted by Bish on Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:13 PM

Thanks for the tip G. I plan on haveing the canopy open with the pilot climbing on board, so i want to be adding a bit of detail. I was thikning about a jettison lever for those rotors and i forgot about the 335 haveing one. I will have to check out some cockpit drawings for some ideas.

Good point on the antennas and D/F loop, hadn't thought of those. I haven't decided on which colours to use yet. I am still not sure whether to go for a an all over scheme or a more conventional blue underside and two colour top side. Have to give it some thought. Would love to see the photos if you can post them.

Posted by Real G on Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:52 PM

Bish,

Hmmm, the cut-n-paste for the URL is not working for me now.  Maybe some compatibility problem with the new web page?  I dunno, it's all Greek to me.  Anyway, here's a link to the photo:

set 72157626675319419

Let's see if that works.

Posted by Bish on Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:22 AM

Sweet. Did you replace the outriggers for those 4 small wheels. I know someone did that as they thought thge plastic would not be strong enough.

Posted by Real G on Monday, July 30, 2012 12:36 PM

Bish,

I only replaced the extenadable struts with brass wire.  My primary reason for doing this was that the moldings were poor.  Rather than trying to clean them up, I thought it was faster to just cut them away, drill some holes in the fins and outrigger bodies, and stick in some wire.  The outrigger bodies that the castors are attached to are not round either, but I decided to live with them.

I wonder if anyone will do a mainstream kit of this wacky plane.  I had hopes that AM Tech would follow on after their 1/48 Ta-183, but it was not to be.

Posted by Bish on Monday, July 30, 2012 1:14 PM

Ye, i can see what you mean. I have been considering it to give extra support, now thats two good reasons.

There was/is a 48th kit by a company called Arba, who i had never heard of before, and a resin one from Planet Models. But no idea if these are still around.

Posted by Real G on Monday, July 30, 2012 1:23 PM

Bish,

One thing you might want to do is make some kind of jig to hold the fuselage straight up, so that when you are fitting the outriggers, they all touch the ground and the model will not tilt to one side.  I got lucky on mine without using a jig, but it took quite a few tries to get it right.

I know of Planet and Arba's resin kits, but I wanted a nice injection molded kit.  I'm lazy and spoiled. Big Smile

Anyway, good luck on your Huma kit!

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.